“Nice hotel a short distance from town, great service”

Sunshine Hotel Hoi An
Ranked #86 of 147 Hotels in Hoi An
Toronto, Canada
“Nice hotel a short distance from town, great service”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were honeymooners that stopped over in Hoi An for a night and enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We got a nice 4th floor room that looked out to the front and towards the city. For the price we paid, it was great deal. The room was spacious and we loved the tub and shower, although the drainage was quite slow. We also liked that the toilet and sink were in a separate area from the shower so that we would not be in each others way. The buffet breakfast was alright, but nothing too fancy compared to other hotels we stayed at in Vietnam. We also had lunch there and it was pretty good. It was a nice surprise to be able to sign out a bike to borrow for the day and ride into town, which is not very far. The staff are very friendly and helpful and booked us a cheap bus ride to Hue the following day. Make sure to go to the tailors in town if you go to Hoi An.....great custom clothes for a great price, super fast!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
derbyshire, uk
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel could be good, but it isn't. I've never written a 2 star review but unfortunately, this hotel warrants it.

However, I'll start with the good points. This hotel has good WiFi even on floor 5. The rooms are large and have the right furniture and facilities. Our shower was hot and had good pressure. Breakfast buffet provides lots of choice but they need to invest in covers for food; many flies around fruit. Free shuttle bus into town, though not that regular (hotel quite far from old town despite what they claim!) When we did change rooms, a courtesy phone call from reception staff was made to check everything was OK.

Now the bad. I have never stayed anywhere with such filthy sheets. Our first night, we realised the beds had not been changed since the previous occupant left them; they were untucked, had bits from mucky feet at the end on the bed under duvet, tons of hairs and worst of all, something that looked like excrement. Disgusting. We asked for them to be changed. No apology given except from the men who came to change them- who clearly weren't house keeping staff and had obviously never changed a duvet cover in their life. I had to strip the under sheet myself to make it clear I wanted the whole bed changing. The replacement sheets smelt a little cleaner and had fold creases this time (as opposed to slept in creases). However, they were yellowing badly, particularly around the top, where the contrast with the vaguely white middle was remarkable, and had stains that had never washed out, including blood stains. The pillows stank of old sweat and body grease. Thank goodness we brought silk sleeping bag liners with us. Surely it isn't hard to bleach white sheets! I've stayed in the middle of the jungle where they had cleaner sheets.

We thought we'd just been unlucky and everything else would be OK. But no. My big bag, left in the wardrobe, was infested with tiny ants the next morning. There was no food in my bag. Never in the 5 months we've been travelling have I had any foreign body in my bag, but it was so bad I actually had to throw my canvas shoes away.

We moved rooms. I had to fetch us bath towels as there were none; no apologies again and the towels were grimy. The new bedding was, again, yellow and smelly. There were, again, ants crawling in a plastic bag that had souvenirs but no food in (I'd left my big bag zipped up and in middle of floor to prevent further infestations).

When it gets like this, you start to notice other things. On the surface, the rooms look clean. However, both rooms were anything but. The mirror was filthy. Behind the bed was worse; I plugged something in and noticed discarded bottles, plastic wrappers, balls of hair...gross. The surfaces were dusty and furniture clearly wasn't moved to clean around.

The hot water from the tap was so hot, it would have scalded a child badly. Be warned, as they didn't put any warnings.

There definitely ain't no sunshine at the Sunshine hotel; the staff were not very friendly, hardly cracked a smile and were unapologetic when things that should have been right were wrong.

It's frustrating as this is a newish hotel which could be good with some staff training on customer service, training on how to clean properly and properly cleaned sheets.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank jo_and_luke
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was backpacking during all of my trip, so once I arrived to Sunshine, I found it quite satisfying! Upon reading other reviews, they talked about cleanliness and dust. Honestly, I never noticed any issues and it was quite fine.

We arrived at 8am after an 18 hour bus ride, we were allowed to have breakfast in the restaurant before our room was ready. We were able to check in officially soon after. At first, the A/C wasn't working, but that was quickly repaired.

Only one staff member that I interacted with spoke English at an adequate service level, but that did not cause any inconveniences.

My recommendations:
1. Use the bikes. We hesitated to stay here because of the distance to the Old town. But honestly, it's a a small bike ride. Stay cautious on the road.
2. If you use the bikes, DON'T PUT ANYTHING IN THE BASKETS. We had a bad thief experience on the road (aka motorbike coming as we are biking as snatching the bag out of the basket). I don't think it happens quite often, just know that it's a possibility and ac in accordance.
3. Rent a motorbike in front. Great to go to the beach and super fun to use. The roads are not too busy. It was my second time, and we went around the whole town by bike.

Don't use hotel recommended tailors. The breakfast is really fine. There's a pancake and omelet station. There are many fruits available as well as juices. The pool was a little overcrowded in my opinion. Note that the sunlight on the pool is in the morning. So if you want to relax by the pool at the end of the day, you will be completely in the shade.

I would recommend this hotel. It's clean, new, much sunlight infiltrates the halls. It was a nice experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have stayed here for 1 night, everything is perfect, room is clean & new, breakfast is really delicious with range of international food. Staff is also a strong point of Sunshine Hoian Hotel, they are very friendly, helpful. Thank's to Ms. Nga - Receptionist, she is very kind, support me alot during my stay in Hoian. I definitely come back here for my next trip to Hoian.

Room Tip: Chose rooms with balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel is quite simply shocking!

After checking in on our first day we decided to go into town for some food. When we returned we realised that someone had been in our room. We noticed that all our belongings had been moved. The bed had been dragged away from the wall and the tv stand and wardrobe were all out of place. Our instant panic set in as we checked our belongings which had been shoved towards the centre of the room to see if any valuables had gone missing! We thought we had been robbed

Luckily nothing was gone and the safety deosit box was untouched. We instantly reported this incident and the receptionist came to the room. After inspecting the room she then, with a sigh of realization said "oh, you were not in your room so we couldn't inform you that we were painting your room today" WHAT?? You can only imagine my disgust and dismay. It turns out that workmen had been in our room PAINTING THE WALLS WHITE with all our belongings and personal effects inside.

Extremely unhappy with this lack or regard for our belongings I expressed my dismay to which they only replied "you were not here so we couldnt tell you". I tried to explain that if I had have been here I still would not have permitted it. This is something that should absolutely be done either before we check in or after we check out however by the way the receptionist spoke giving workmen access to customers rooms was normal practice which is very concerning.

I feel I must share this information with anyone considering this hotel. The complete lack of respect that this hotel demonstrates towards your personal belongings and the privacy of your room deems them completely untrustworthy and I would emplore you to completely avoid this hotel at all costs.

Other major fails was the shocking shuttle service. We booked it an nobody turned up to meet us despite saying they would. When a good samaritan at a tourist office contacted the hotel to tell them that we were here, the hotel simply gave directions. We ended up walking 25 minutes with our 20kg rucksags.When we arrived they made some lame excuse however it was just simply apalling service.

This hotel is very expensive considering the location and not great value for money. They advertise a 15 minute walk to town. It is a 15 minute walk to the outskirts of town and nothing short of 30 minutes walk to anywhere of note.

This hotel is a disaster and cannot be trusted. You can get better, cheaper, reliable and closer to town without a problem. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Chris P
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We chosed to stay for two nights at Sunshine hotel as it was recommended by a friend.
Generally it was good experience. Staff were friendly. Rooms were nice and quiet, but couldn't get the twin bedroom although booked beforehand. It was a bit uncomfortable to share the double bed with my brother.
Breakfast was included. The pool was a bit small but it was enough when we swam in the early morning. Bikes are free but we were afraid of riding on the same lane with other vehicles, so we only took taxis to the centre.
With its reasonable price, I couldn't ask for more. I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first and second floor, overlooking the pool, are nicer.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hoi An, Vietnam
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel rooms are a great environment to stay in. The bathrooms has a great massage to you and are really clean.The service is excellent and the staff is friendly. The resturaunt is for free especially when it has delicious food and fruits to eat. The pool is also big and great to swim in. The bikes are also free to ride to the old town and the beaches. Sunshine Hotel is in a perfect location nearest to beautiful beaches. I cant believe this is a 3 star hotel! It should be a 4 or 5 star!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family