“Lovely hotel...out of the way”

Sunshine Hotel Hoi An
Ranked #92 of 159 Hotels in Hoi An
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel ifself was great however the friendliness of the staff wasn't as good as our other Vietnamese hotels we had stayed in
On check in the service was efficient
The rooms were lovely tastefully decorated all the toiletries you needed. There was a large bath and a huge shower which was very welcomed.
The hotel was located in a very quiet area about 20mins walk from the town
The free cycles were great as gave you chance to explore the area. Some of them obviously well used. It was about 20 mins cycle to An Bang beach. On yr way you will see working in the paddi fields just beware we got stung at one of the right from the hotel lovely man takes you to a tomb takes pictures then wants money
At first bit annoying but for the experience funny
An Bang beach is lovely as you arrive there there is s parking lot for bikes which will cost 10000 dong for the whole day. Beware the sunbeds are only free if you eat in the restaurant howeve out of all meals we had eaten previously the restaurant on the right the food was so bad we knew if we ate it would be ill. Staff were not happy then we complained and refused to pay our only bad experience.
Cua dai beach is about 30 mins ride but just as nice.
The breakfast at the hotel was ok but don't think the cook understood what scrambled egg is. Same selection everyday but good choice unless you are really fussy.
Tin tin restaurant across the road js great. Cheap and the food amazing. There is s wait but you can hear it being freshly cooked.Thao is so friendly always has a smile
The swimming pool is a nice place tp chill out if you have to hang around whilst checking out but with the beaches nearby we went there.
Hotel is about 30 mins from the airport and cost 110000 dong with hoi an express more expensive if you use the taxi from the hotel.
In all a very comfortable stay for a good price

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank sueschoey32

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Sunshine Hotel is a little out of the centre of town in Hoi An but they offer free use if push bikes which makes travelling into the centre of the old town really easy. By foot this trip would take about 20 minutes but on a bike you are there in about 5. The hotel itself offers spacious rooms which are regularly cleaned and supply a reasonable standard buffet breakfast. The thing which makes this hotel so pleasant to stay in is the staff at reception. All of the people working here are extremely helpful and will go out of their way to assist in any way. I had reason to cancel some accommodation in Hue and as all of the foyer computers were being used the manager offered to vacate his desk and allow me to use his computer. The only drawback I can see with this hotel is if the travellers are elderly or have very young children in which case each time you want to go to the town you would need to hire a taxi. That said - a taxi fare is probably only a couple of dollars.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank seeyalaterAdelaide
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I am not sure if I'm unlucky or other travellers who reviewed this hotel are very lucky. I stayed 9 nights at Sunshine Hotel and had issues every single day. One day there was an issue in the bathroom, it was not draining water when taking shower, so got the place flooded. Complained twice and got it partially fixed. At night too much noise from the plumbing next door. Complained and got a new room. Another issue in the new room, it was leaking water under the sink, not all lights were working, too much noise from the fridge, etc. The cleaning service is terrible, they don't clean the room properly and there is always something missing (towel, toiletries, water, etc.). Once they replaced a towel with lots of hair and dirty. Breakfast is not bad but the same every day. They always run out of food and I would expect from the staff in charge on the breakfast that would monitor that or clean the tables, but she wouldn't bother and prefer to sit and chat. I didn't find the staff very friendly and it didn't help for the whole experience. In summary, not happy with the hotel and service. Unfortunately the worst experience among the 15 hotels I stayed in Vietnam.

3  Thank Edson H
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a good hotel.
The front staff gave us many useful information and help us to book the bus and trip to Myson.
The hotel is a little bit far from the old city and beach, but the bicycle provided by hotel solves this problem.

Room is big and new, the view from balcony is also great.
The only drawback is that the cleaness didn't be done well. We had two nights in this hotel. When we get in the room on the first night, a small dead cockroach was founded lying between the wall and commode until we checked-out. And the shampoo set were not re-fill on our second night.

Besides, everything is great.

Room Tip: Room on higher floor will have better view in the morning
2  Thank CjCh13
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Two stars because the hotel was clean and nice, but I would never stay here again after the response from staff & management when I reported 2 million dong stolen from my room...

When I asked for the manager, I was pretty harshly interrogated in front of other customers, which was embarrassing (for all of us). Having your bags rummaged and picked through is invasive enough, no need to add insult to injury. I was told the manager wouldn't be in until the afternoon, so when he arrived I told him exactly what I was missing and when it happened, and he said he would check the security cameras in the hallway to see if anyone went in my room. When he came back, he reported nothing about the security tapes, but said that none of the cleaning staff confessed to stealing my money. So I asked to see the videos, he said he'd be back, and left the hotel to pick up his kids. I had been waiting in the dining room for a few hours when I finally asked reception to call him, and he came back. Which was pointless, since he refused to let me see the security tapes, or offer to refund any portion of my bill.

If you go here, don't leave anything in your room. I had hidden my money in a tiny money purse in the very bottom of a big bag, thinking that since I was just running down for breakfast with the do not disturb sign on my door that it would be fine.

Also, make sure you take a hotel business card with you in case you get lost - the hotel address is wrong on most online maps. (After getting really lost on my first day I used the app "ifind my car" to pin the location of the hotel.)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Aly5280
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We recently stayed at Sunshine for over a week, and we originally only planned to stay two nights! It turned out to be such a great value for the price and what you got, and we just loved Hoi An, and all of the activities easily available to us. First of all, Lee and the other staff were amazing and helpful. For 8 days, and even during New Year when I'm sure they would prefer to not have been working, we were only greeted with smiles and helpful staff. All of them helped us with any number of requests, including booking tours, plane tickets, etc. The rooms were great, we had one on the 2nd floor and then moved to the 3rd floor to extend, and we loved the views from the large balconies. The pool is wonderful and gets lots of morning sun and not as much later in the afternoon. That was the perfect time to hop on a free hotel bike and go to An Bang beach, riding the flat and easy ride through beautiful green rice paddies. The beach was wonderful and very laid back; not crowded at all. We liked Le Plage at the far end of the row of restaurants. We also rode bikes into Hoi An (about a 10 min bike ride or 20ish min walk) many times and this worked out very well for us. We liked staying outside of the hustle and bustle (and away from all the motorbike horns). We also rented a motorbike across the street from hotel and went to Marble Mountain - really good 1/2 day trip. Cannot say enough good things about Sunshine. Also, Tin Tin across the street had some of the best Vietnamese food we found in Vietnam - amazing!

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view from the balcony.
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had a nice stay at the hotel, good location & lose to the beach!! If you like walking it takes about 20 mins to get into the town, nice shops & plenty of places to eat! We really loved the town, very pretty!! Great you can have free hire of bikes from hotel, nice to cycle around & cycle down to the beach etc!! Room was a nice size & loved the walk in shower (wet room).

The only negative thing which the hotel should let there customers know before booking is travel arrangements!! That's if they know themselves or have had any other complaints!!! -
We arranged with them a mini bus to go Quy Nhon (a 5 hour journey)!! We were not told we would be picking locals up on the way & not stopping at all in 5 hours or a toilet break which was disgusting!! The 2 men that picked us up from the Hotel were Vile, very rude indeed!!
Spoke very aggressively, shouting at us to get on the bus etc. I know they drive like nutters over here but the man driving this mini bus was the worst I had experienced in Vietnam! Probably had about 20 near misses & over taking on blind corners, was very scarey!! My boyfriend has a bladder problem so was In a lot of pain as didn't go to toilet in 5 hours!!
When we got to Quy Nhon they shouted at us again & told us we needed to get in another mini bus which would then take us to our hotel but would have to pay 100000 vnd each! Very tired & confused as once again they were shouting at us "you Hotel, pointing at us to get in bus" we just payed & got in other bus!! Then realised it's scam to get more money out of you!! The other couple on the bus refused to pay & walked off to get a taxi, which is hat we should have done!! The hotel was literally round corner & would have cost nx to nothing!!
Maybe we were unlucky this day with the horrible men that were driving the mini bus, hope no one else experiences it & hope the hotel looks into other company's to use. We loved our time in Hoi An & such a shame it had to end in a such a negative way!!!