“Ancient house in the heart of the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vinh Hung Heritage Hotel

You added Vinh Hung Heritage Hotel to your Saves list
Vinh Hung Heritage Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   143 Tran Phu Street, Hoi An, Vietnam (Formerly Vinh Hung 1 Hotel)   |
Ranked #52 of 123 Hotels in Hoi An
Conegliano, Italy
“Ancient house in the heart of the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Great location of this ancient house transformed into an hotel. Very kind and helpfull staff. The breakfast however is a bit below standards and also the bathroom of the bedroom. However the location and the atmosphere are soo good which make it a worth place to stay! Reccomended!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Korean first
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

A very unique hotel located right in the centre of the Old Quarters. Nice and clean hotel with only 6 rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. All the major tourist spots are within walking distance. Would definately like to stay again during my next vist to Hoi An.

Room Tip: Both the rooms on the ground floor will be good. First floor front room will be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank andrewchoo55
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Want to step back in time? Want to imagine Vietnam hundreds of years ago? Check in to Vinh Hung 1 and treat yourself to a stay unlike most any hotel experience. An Asia beauty, filled with the sights and sounds and beautiful fragrances of Vietnam. Simply beautiful, located in the heart of Hoi An, just a minute to the river and old Bridge. The staff treated me like a friend, arranged a bicycle for me when I decided to tour the countryside and returned it when I got back. Same with arranging transport for me whe I was checking out. What others have said about the showers is true, but trust me you won't care, and I promise it will be a highlight of your hotel experience in Vietnam.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street (which is quiet at night) have more light. I was in the rear, my window...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

A beautiful hotel where the service is outstanding. It is centrally located, close to all major sites and restaurants. The hotel is beautifully presented. The staff are very friendly and helpful.I will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Grass Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Staying in the Vinh Hung 1 Hotel was a unique experience. There are just six rooms in what was originally a Chinese trader's home and the atmosphere remains authentic and utterly beautiful. The furnishings are lavish, the rooms comfortable and large and the caring staff round out what for me was unlike any stay I've had except 1, also in a Chinese house, in Penang.

I must point out that it may not be for everyone. If you require quiet and absolute privacy the traditional single wall partitions of the rooms do not provide it. And the marble bathrooms have bathtubs but only an inadequate hand held shower so if your morning requirements include a good shower it won't be here.

But these small sacrifices are well worth a stay in such a unique place. It was, for me, the absolute best part of my 5 days in Hoi An.

Room Tip: Some rooms have no outside window. Ask for one that does if light is important to you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jyphoto
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This little hotel excels when it comes to atmosphere, it's like stepping back in time. Wonderful red lantern lit corridors and a building that literaly oozes history and charm.
I really enjoyed my stay here - I stayed in one of the back rooms, and yes - as other reviewers say - they are dark, but certainly not gloomy - in fact I found it added to the charm. This little hotel is an old merchant's shophouse and so has wooden shutters rather than windows.
I'm truly glad I stayed here, the staff were all so friendly and helpful, and I didn't experience any of the pushiness that others report, quite the opposite - I was constantly offered green tea :), greeted always in the warmest way and made to feel like I was truly welcome.
I was recommended some local places to shop and eat, but I was in every hotel I stayed in in Vietnam, so it wasn't unusual and it was done in a helpful manner in my opinion.
This little hotel is right in the heart of the old town, so an unmatched location but very peaceful as Hoi An is a sleepy, laid back little town. A really wonderful way to experience the charm of Hoi An, truly one of my highlights whilst traveling there.
Hoi An has lots of lovely places to stay but, if you can, stay here for one night as it is a magical experience staying in this fine old building in the old town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

If you want a true authentic experience and not just another 4 star hotel claiming to be 5 star then stay at the Vinh Hung 1 Hotel. We stayed here as a family a few years ago and this hotel is still etched in our minds. It is very much a three star property in that the air con struggles, there are rickety stairs etc. However this is an original Chinese trader's home .Our three sons were fortunate enough to end up in the second-storey room of the original wooden house. It is furnished with antique furniture and oriental rugs .This front room has a balcony overlooking Tran Phu Street (centrally located) and it was one of the Chinese rooms which acted as Michael Caine's dressing room during the filming of 'The Quiet American'. Both my husband and I expressed our envy that the boys had scored this room as our room (on the bottom level) really was not much to rave about (which is probably why there are such ambivalent reviews). We all liked gathering in the boys room in the evening as we could look out over the balconey which was hung with beautiful lanterns and watch the nightlife go by. Staying in the ancient part of Hoi An with no cars is truely the way to immerse yourself in this fabulous culture. The staff did meet us on the outskirts of the old town (we were a bit worried initially) and carried our bags to the hotel. One American couple who seemed to be travelling the same Vietnamese route as us booked out of their 4.5 star hotel to stay at the ambient Vinh Hung 1 Hotel. Breakfast was down the street in a wonderful outdoor setting. We loved Hoi An, and we really enjoyed experiencing the Vinh Hung 1 Hotel. Isn't that what fantastic memories are made off,

Room Tip: Definately stay in the Special Chinese rooms on the second floor. Ask for the front room overlooking...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family