“Superb value wonderful dream resort”

Victoria Hoi An Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #54 of 148 Hotels in Hoi An
Kent UK
“Superb value wonderful dream resort”
Reviewed April 21, 2006

It is really interesting to read the reviews and see how different people take a completely different view about the same place.
I can see where the previous reviewer is coming from as I agree with a couple of his criticisms.
The gym at the Victoria is appalling and for someone like me who has to push himself to use it at least every other day on holiday, this gym is the pits! I was not tempted once though I really enjoyed my excellent massage.
While I am on, let me get the other criticism off my chest. The billiard tables are badly neglected and really need some attention and some decent lighting as well.
As regards the rest of the hotel - well its fantastic. The food is fantastic, the pool is fantastic and our beach front room was the one we have been looking for all our lives. Step out the room on to the well furnished patio and then on to the beach. Japanese style design, contemporary up to date tv, superb air conditioning and the laundary, room service and cleaning was second to none.
We loved the pool where Mr Pool and Beach Patrol were superb. Also, I complained one day, half way through our nine nights because that awful practice of reserving ones poolside seat with towels had started up (some Spanish people had arrived) for the first time and immediately the management put a stop to it! Wish other hotels took such a strict approach!
The food especially the breakfast was top rate.
However we were more adventurous then most and ate out most of the time. The prices were less than the Ana Mandara along the road at Nah Trang but were still a bit on the steep side, especially the alcohol. The ambience of the restaurants, especially by the beach, was beyond reproach and their were lots of beautiful nooks and crannies both inside and outside this hotel , to sit peacefully and read. The facilities round the pool were very good with excellent waiter service and beacuse of the efforts of the previously mentioned Mr Pool, one always had a recliner and table and towels were plentiful.

We enjoyed very much the occasional stroll into the local village as far as the bridge and were pleased that the village had lots to attract people such as bicycle hire, travel agents, dive shops, cafes, restaurants, ATMs and lots of other small shops. We enjoyed in particular our almost daily stroll to visit Daryl and expat American who has opened the Safari Bar which is excellent value with an amazing selection of cold beers and ciders including John Smith, Strongbow, Asahi and Tiger (my personal favourite) - all at rock bottom prices and delicious food: try the pho bo and pho ga and take advice from him about cheap ways to do things and get to places.
Hoi An is a truly wonderful place. We have covered most of Vietnam now and this remains our favourite place. The town is crammed full of history, wonderful architecture and lots of life and vitality. The food options are amazing - either eat in any of the many places in town, by the harbour or as most will do, around the Golden Triangle by Tam Tam. This latter area appeals mainly to foreigners but don't under-estimate it, It is a wonderful hub of activity and for people-watching and wonderful cakes and smooties (no, the mis-spelling is meant) there is no better in Hoi An.

• Stayed April 2006
20 Thank Lemniot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
San Diego
Reviewed March 9, 2006

Of all of the hotels I reserved in Vietnam and Cambodia, this is the only one I was hesitant about. I really wanted to stay at Life Resort but the people I am traveling with wanted to be at the beach. My own preference was the Swiss belhotel but the reviews were not consistant. We ended up at Victoria because it is reasonably well known and all of the high end tour groups use it.

Well, to put it bluntly, I think it was a mistake. The hotel is just not quite there. It is in a nice setting, the rooms are pretty nice, and the staff is decent. There are some big "buts" however....

Our room - a beachfront suite - was sorely in need of renovation/upgrading. There was an unpleasant odor that we never identified. The TV was old and small and speakers were blown. The bed was tolerable but he pillows are enormous and hard - major stiff neck.

The really low point for me was hitting the fitness center. Their gym is abysmal... Two weights and a wrench to adjust them. One dated universal machine. One low end cardio machine. That's it. No treadmill, no bike... Honestly, it's the worst gym I have ever seen in a hotel.

One other issue was the awful music blasted at the pool - crappy 80's rock over and over and over.... expect lots of Journey. Mind you they did eventually turn it off when we complained (service is good).

Next door the Swiss-Belhotel looks much nicer. I went over and took a look - much nicer rooms and updated... and cheaper.

If I was coming back (and I may because Hoi An is my favorite city so far in Vietnam) I would stay at the Life Resort of, if we wanted beach, I would hit the Swiss Belhotel. Victoria just needs work.

• Stayed March 2006
12 Thank emaij
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 1, 2006

The Victoria Hoi An is the most soothing place to hang your hat. After travelling down from Hong Kong, it was like stepping into your own oasis. From the infinite pool, to the beautiful desserted beach, you will never want to leave. The food was yummy... breakfast being our personal favorite. They have a way of making you feel like you're eating at home.... which is great for people who have a hard time adjusting to different tastes of another country. Also, I want to make mention, if you can choose the time you go to Hoi An, please make it for the "Full Moon Festival". It was a magical experience... Just take the hotel shuttle right into town (5 min). But trust me, you wont be out late, because you'll be dreaming of that amazing room that awaits you at the Victoria!!!

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.

• Stayed January 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ireland
Reviewed January 22, 2006

Quite simply the most amazing hotel we've ever stayed in. Big enough to be private but not so big that it was anonymous, this hotel was pure magic.

We paid for a beach front deluxe and it was worth every penny. Beautiful Japanses style room with ample space. Bed was so comfortable, I hated to leave it! Small patio with our own steps to the beach. Breakfast was good, other meals limited choice but average prices for high end hotels.

Spa was amazing value and had a great range of treatments.

Shuttle bus schedule appeared a little strange at first but actually allowed us to enjoy both the hotel and the town of Hoi An. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2005
12 Thank athtrasna
london
Reviewed November 17, 2005

Stayed at the Victoria resort in Hoi An in April 05. The hotel is beautiful and the setting on the beach heavenlike. Our room was very spacious, with lovely teak wood and balcony. The restaurant was good but you should go into town to sample some real local treats. There is a taxi service from the hotel into town. Hoi An is an absolute gem and we would love to go back.

11 Thank LondonLola
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2005

Had fun here with our three kids aged 2, 3 and 7. The pool was lovely and beach is great and breakfast was what you would expect. It is one of the few resort type places in Vietnam with a kid's club and kid's telly. The kid's club wasn't anything special bit it was great to be able to go into town on our own without the kids and get some clothes made up. We had a "Seaside Room" which had NO VIEW OF THE SEA.

The elephant had died the week before we arrived which I was a little dissapointed about but what can you do? The shuttle to town seemed to run whenever we turned up. I am not sure if it runs strictly to schedule. The internet was very slow and unreliable.

As far as the beds are concerned, sure they are a little hard but I had no trouble sleeping.

I'd go back.

• Stayed June 2005
9 Thank Devvypops
Wuppertal, Germany
Reviewed October 1, 2005

The resort itself is lovely, especially the pool.

Our room was not so good. We had asked for a room not facing the road, and got a room in the same row as the reception. The biggest problem was the terrible musty smell. Luckily, the bedding was OK.

The biggest problem is the location if you actually want to visit the town - 5km away. There is a shuttle, but it has a weird schedule (08:00, then 11:00, can´t remember afternoon times but evenings only hourly from 18:00 until 21:00). However, if all you want to do is flop at the beach or by the pool, then its great.

We totally agree about the resturant being overpriced with poor choice and average food - probably because you are captive there. By the way, it is not airconditioned either, and since it is open to the outside the mosquitos can join you for dinner.

• Stayed September 2005