“The most unpleasant experience”
Review of Thien Trung Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hoi An
Thien Trung Hotel
Ranked #142 of 147 Hotels in Hoi An
Singapore
“The most unpleasant experience”
Reviewed December 19, 2008

We were very disappointed with the reception desk service rendered to us during our two night stay in Thien Trung. The room was barely clean and the blanket smelled unwashed and damp. The facilities were minimal and the rooms were really small for two people.

Staff (especially a tall mid twenty to thirty something man) were generally unfriendly in attending to guests. A male staff was particularly standoffish, aloof and refused to render any assistance.

Thien Trung was our only unpleasant experience in Hoi An. Do not go there! You can get better deals and service with your 10 bucks else where!

• Liked — it is near a very good restaurant (Vi Cafe)
  • Disliked — Staff and cleanliness especially the unwashed blanket and bedsheets
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mmmkk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ireland
Reviewed July 22, 2008

My Boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. More fool us, we should have walked away on the first day when the a/c smelled of ammonia for the first half hour. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, except for the "lady" who worked at reception and the travel desk. She was the rudest person I have met in my 3 months in Asia.

Also the cleaning lady came into our room without even knocking bringing with her her friend who tried to rent us motorbikes. IN OUR ROOM!!!

We were told that the price per night for a double room was $15 with a/c and hot water. The weather was hot so we didn't care that the hot water didn't work, but when the smelly a/c cut out 6 times in 2 days we finally got to change rooms.

After 15 mins in the new room which seemed clean, the condenser on the a/c BURST spilling the most foul smelling stagnant water all down the curtain. The "lady" practically threw a key for another room at me when I complained. In the third room, there was a sheet giving room rates - D150,000 per night for a double After a couple of hours this room stank too, but we had already ordered a taxi to the airport for the next morning so it was too much trouble to move.

When it came time to check out, I pointed out that the room rates were advertised as different in the room. I was told that we had to pay the $15 per night because we had agreed. We asked to pay in Dong and their calculation of the exchange rate was extortionate. We checked the actual rate online and told them we would only pay what xe.com told us was the correct rate, but she refused and would not give us back our passports. We asked for her to call her boss but she refused and neither would she give us the phone number for the police. Eventually we had to pay in order to get our passports as our taxi to the airport had arrived.

This place is just dirty and rude. I would not reccommend it to my worst enemy.

Stayed July 2008
2 Thank Hodge2

Travelers are raving about these Hoi An hotels

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2007

This hotel is clean and a good location, but not the greatest value now. Paid $10 for a twin bedded room with a/c and window. Then talked to several others at hotel who paid less for same room or bigger. Also meet others who paid $10 at hotel with pool!! Breakfast is actually much better next door and the owner is friendly. Hotel restaurant across street is very pretty but beware of very loud karaoke on weekend nights. I was not impressed that after I checked out and and was waiting for bus pickup to Hue that the staff would not allow me to use the internet while waiting even though it was not being used.

• Liked — cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank calie
Montana
Reviewed January 17, 2006

I had spent two nights in a hotel on the outskirts of Hoi An Old Town, where the staff was unfriendly, the room was filthy, and the bed was hard (even by Vietnamese hotel standards). The morning after the second night, I checked out, strapped on my backpack, and made my way down Phan Dinh Phung in search of better lodging. Didn't have to go too far; within about five minutes, one of the staff of the Thien Trung Hotel swept me off the street, showed me a lovely, airy, comfortable room that was spotlessly clean from top to bottom; served a good, strong cup of coffee; booked a couple of area tours (which were excellent); reserved a flight from Danang to Hanoi for the next week, with taxi transfer; gave me the inside scoop on where to find good, cheap, eats (out of the tourist areas)...I had planned to stay in Hoi An only one more day, but ended up staying until the day my flight home left Hanoi, in large part because the staff at this hotel was so informative and helpful, giving me suggestions on where to go beyond Old Town and how to get there. I could easily have stayed another week. The folks at Thien Trung took great care of this lone traveler.

• Stayed January 2006