Thien Trung Hotel
Anantara Hoi An Resort(Hoi An)
$181
$47
$122
$107
Priceline
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Like most people we were made of this hotel by the hustlers in the street that draft you towards the hotel. We were shown a room that was tidy and came with good facilities AC, fridge, TV. Room smelt a bit damp/stale so needed the AC (which is an extra 2US) to help clear the air. Hotel itself is tidy with nice pool and location is a short walk into town. I agree with others that the operators appear pretty dodgy which made us a little nervous but we made sure we were cautious (as we are always) by locking up our valuables in our bag when we were out. We shopped around for the bus to Hanoi and the hotel operators price was about right. The ladies outside will pester you to use their bicycles every day which can be frustrating but it is easy enough to say no. We used the bikes one day and it was worth it as Hoi An can be explored quite well on a bike. Overall we had a good stay but were skeptical most of the time, recommend trying for an upstairs room which may have more air flow.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I don't have good english ability. So I want write shortly.

The staff(man) cheats guest.

He changed my money to small one and he said I paid small money.

The room was dark and the toilet was dirty.

Most terrible hotel in vietnam.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank little_pilgrim13
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

We have been travelling for over 3 months now so we have seen a hell of a lot of different hotels.

When we arrived we went looking for hotels, a man approached us in the street and gave us a business card for this hotel and took us to see it. From first look it looked great, there was a nice size and clean looking pool, the outside area also looked clean too however this was all a coverup for how bad their service is.

The room was a decent sized room for 4 people with 2 double beds and a nice sized bathroom however the sheets did not really fit, the toilet didn't flush & the windows in the bathroom didn't close.

The older manager seemed to be nice when we arrived sitting us down and going through check in with us (whilst telling us all about these places he gets commission at) but little did we know he was going to be more like a jack russel at the end of our trip.

There is a travel agents a couple of doors up that we did a great cooking class through, it was the wife of the gentleman who runs It and she was so lovely. Stupidly we should have got our transfer tickets through them like we originally planned.

One evening we were sitting in the foyer playing card games when the front of house manager was drunk as anything, stumbling about, being sick with the toilet door open when he decided to try and sell us bus tickets. He must have called the bus company about 6 times, couldn't remember the price he gave us, then gave us a different price, couldn't remember whether we had given him the money or not (we hadn't as we knew something like this would happen) he then stumbled back and forward to the reception desk asking if we wanted to cancel or if we wanted to pay or discuss the trip. (Whilst smelling of vodka)

The next morning we explained to the manager what had happened and even before I told him he said was he drunk? Must have been a regular occurrence. We then bought our transfer tickets from Hoi An-Hue then an open bus ticket to Hanoi. We were in a rush when organising the trip as we had to do our cooking class. He said he didn't have the ticket on him right now but he will have it for when we are back in the afternoon which was understandable as a couple of previous hotels had done this and we got them as soon as we returned. This is when the problem started... There was no ticket when we got back, he said they would be there in the evening there weren't. We were leaving the next morning so was panicking at this point, he then said they would be here at 6 in the morning, they weren't even there by the time our bus arrived to hue, we wouldn't have minded about the first bus it was mainly because the most expensive part of the journey we had no proof that we had paid.
The manager was shouting at us to get off his back and how we don't trust him ( how could we he was fobbing us of with his friend not bringing the tickets) what kind of company let alone a hotel sells tickets but doesn't actually produce one. They are a sneaky team who I now can't trust them as far as I can throw them and I wish we had read the trip advisor before we checked in.

Thanks for listening to my long winded essay :)

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank xtashadx
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Ended up here cos we got to Hoi An late and the place had a very bad vibe from the start. Reception guy made a half assed attempt at downplaying his sketchy-snake nature. Watch your things if you stay here. On the plus side there is a pool. Minus: at 2am people had an uninterrupted bombing/drunk idiot contest. Specifically asked for a room with hot water. Had none and staff refused to believe us. From reading other reviews we got off lightly. By most accounts this mob are thieves, liars and all round poor human beings. Avoid.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Do yourself a favor: do not stay here.

Yes, you can get a $10 room but I have no doubt that you could find a better $10 room elsewhere in Hoi An. The staff were rude and seemed to view guests as an unwelcome irritation rather than welcomed visitors. I was taken to a dark and slightly damp room on the first floor. I was exhausted after a 12hr sleeper bus ride and a cursory glance made me think it would be acceptable. This was a mistake.

On closer inspection (post check-in) I found the linen was stained, the bed seriously uncomfortable, the bathroom only just acceptably clean (and I mean 'only just'), the A/C didn't work and neither did the Wi-fi. The bathroom light made an irritating buzzing noise when turned on, the hot water ran out quickly and the view from my very stiff window was of a concrete wall, one meter away, on the other side of a dark and damp rear access alley. The owner made no attempt to fix the A/C or Wi-fi and became aggressive when I pushed the issue. I agree with the comments of previous reviewers about the female staff having very loud phone conversations late in the evening and would add that the owner has a penchant for watching the football in the lobby with the volume turned up to 11.

Were there any positives to this dump? Only that it reminded me that TripAdvisor should always be consulted before check-in; previous poor reviews were spot on. Without a shadow of a doubt the service specifically, and the hotel generally, was the worst I experienced in Vietnam, a truly wonderful country.

Don't be tempted by the OK looking street facade - walk on by because any other hotel would be an improvement.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. Any other hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo