“Average at best” 3 of 5 bubbles

Thanh Phuong
Ranked #410 of 732 Restaurants in Hoi An
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

We have just eaten at thang phuong, and unfortunately won't be returning.

It's not terrible, but it's average at best. There is better food available for less money in Hoi An.

The views are nice, but there are lots of restaurants along the river so this still would make me go back.

• Korean first
Brugge, Belgium
“Everyone can find his own taste”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

We went several times to this simple, but fine resto in Hoi An. The location is on the An Hoi Peninsula, so from the old town you have to cross the river. The resto is not far from the bridge and in the evening it gives a view at the many lights of Hoi An reflecting in the water. It is close to the touristic nightmarket. They have a big choice and even some different menu's that I can recommend. Price/quality is very good. The resto is very busy, so come early to have a table. There is a small terrace outside and there is upstair sitting too. Service is correct, but the people working there have no time to be especially friendly or to chat with you. The Vietnamese food is excellent, but we saw people eating pizza, spagetti and even a sort of Big Mac with french fries too. So everyone can find his choice of food. If you take a menu, which is good value, you have to say that you want to eat slowly and that they have to bring the different plates one by one. Otherwise, they put all the plates in one time on the table and it is difficult, even when you try to eat fast, to eat all the stuff hot.

• Visited February 2014
Bristol
“Ok to average, nice views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Just stumbled back to our hotel feeling very full from our evening meal here with very mixed thoughts.

We sat upstairs to enjoy a lovely view of the harbour and decided to order our starters first and wait for mains so that unlike other places we have eaten we'd be able to eat them separately rather than all at the same time.

Starters of spring rolls in pineapple - not in pineapple as such but was on the side ... Not really sure what it added to the dish but was quite nice... Came after a 20min wait. It was another 10 mins after we'd finished before the Saigon spring rolls came (was intrigued to know what Chinese sausage was like - rather chewy and spring rolls had prawns in which was not stated on menu so would be bad for any shellfish allergy sufferers out there)... So far service not fantastic ... Not the friendliest bunch either but not offensive.

Then the crispy wontons.... Beautiful! Perhaps worth coming here for these alone... My friend described the taste as being like a "Vietnamese pizza" which I can see where she was coming from as they had all sorts on there inc pineapple, pepper, carrot, onion... Yummy!

To be honest we shouldn't have ordered mains as by this time we were pretty full... but we ploughed on with the Chicken curry and the Duck & cashew curry. Fortunately for us at this point the portion of sticky rice that accompanied our meals was not large by anybody's standards.

The duck curry was average... creamy, no heat at all to it but ok (this may be my restricted Vietnamese food knowledge so I can't knock them for this). The chicken curry however was bad... There was no flavour to the sauce at all, the coconut milk had split from the sauce and I can only compare it to what I'd imagine dishwater to taste like (harsh I know but really not good). This may not be the norm for this particular dish but this was our experience.

So I'm a little confused. Yes it was ok, yes I would recommend the crispy wontons ... Would I recommend to a friend? Probably not. Would I go back? Not unless I had a crispy wonton craving.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Average food, unfriendly staff, nice views”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

The fried wontongs & spring rolls were pretty good, but the beef claypott was awfull. Views are nice but the staff is very unfriendly

Willunga, Australia
“Very good restaurant and extremely honest staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

We had dinner for 10 which proved to be excellent food - the fresh spring rolls are great! When the bill came it was very reasonable at about $12 per head for food and drinks - then they wanted to recalculate the bill and for the FIRST time ever a restaurant gave me money back. These people had overcharged us and without us having to complain they recalculated the bill and returned $40. I applaud this honesty and recommend the restaurant.

• Visited November 2013