“best of the bunch - but remember it's street food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hi Restaurant

Hi Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 754 Restaurants in Hoi An
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington DC
“best of the bunch - but remember it's street food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We came here on the recommendation of a man in the shoe shop (which, it turns out has an advertisement above the tables at Hi's) and the food was quite tasty, good price (much less than the full on restaurants in Hoi An, but more comfortable than the market), and had cute red tables and lanterns.

I figured we'd been recommend this place because the shoe shop had some kind of tie with this particular food stall and that all the places in this little row of food stall restaurants would be about the same. So we went and tried out a couple other places in this strip and while the menus are the same, it turns out Hi's really was the best of the bunch. We ended up going back to Hi several times and would highly recommend this spot if you're looking for tasty local food at a good price.

One thing to remember though - this is more or less a street food establishment and you do need to be careful about things like uncooked veggies that may have been washed in tap water. I got a bit of a stomach cramp that lasted a day and a half after eating the greens that came with the ban xeo (this was the only thing that I ate that my BF did not). They were wet and there must have been a bit of tap water on them.

I put this on myself though for being complacent about something I would have paid attention to elsewhere. After that, I avoided the raw greens and like I said, happily went back again. For the fully cooked meals.

• Visited December 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
“Ticks all the boxes for good street fare.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

A little place on An Hoi island just off the main stretch. Fierce competition means that every restaurant will flock at you with their menu but make your way down to Hi. The owners are as smiley and friendly as you could want and the food is tasty and plentiful. A good solid meal at a good price. We went here twice, first meal I had Chicken stir-fry with ginger, lemongrass and chilli. Classic combo, done well, tho the chicken was slightly overdone. My friend had Eggplant hotpot which was delicious. Second trip one hungover morning, i had Duck noodle soup, friend just had spinach cooked with ginger. Again quite good. Drinks are all cheap, especially the juices at half the price of the main strip cafes.
So if your looking for "gourmet" Hoi An this isn't it. (I've been let down by every so called "gourmet" restaurant here, but will concede that might just be bad luck.) But if you want a nice meal at a steal, get along.

• Visited January 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went here on TA good reviews. Varied menu,cheaper than restaurants on the busy side of the river. Staff very friendly. Excellent service. Can recommend the pineapples and coconut pancake, we ordered one each but we should have shared. Will definitely return

South Australia
“So cheap and so delicious. What more could you want.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I went today for a late lunch, As I arrived 4 were leaving and raved about their meal and all made suggestions of what to order. 3 others had just ordered and shared with me that they loved their meal. I then ordered Banh Xeo, a country pancake which I'd also made at a cooking school the day before. This one was much better than mine, so so so tasty and the cook,on serving it, cheerfully dmeonstrated how to put it together within the rice paper and dip.. Later a father and two young souns came and all orderd the Cau Lau and all three ate eagerly. For my hearty Bahn Xeo and a can of diet coke I paid under $4 US. It was so tasty. Across the bridge walk to the lefy. Go to the end and vaguley turn right. There it is!!! Its in what i would call the outdoor food court. The proprieter is cheerful and very polite. Its great and at $4 US I walked away smiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Interesting thing is that every customer was chit chatting to the other a sign of happy cusotmers I'm sure.

Visited January 2013
“Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Great food for reasonable price. Restaurant is located a bit out if the tourist areas but its worth the walk.

1 Thank jaajoka