“What a pity. Hard to rate. Be careful”

Sunrise Premium Resort Hoi An
Ranked #61 of 155 Hotels in Hoi An
Perth, Australia
“What a pity. Hard to rate. Be careful”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I had high expectations of this resort and felt I had carefully researched this hotel and had leant strongly on the reviews in Trip Advisor so I was dismayed and disappointed on arrival. So such so that on arrival in the room I went back to the comments on Trip Advisor only to find more recent activity reflected my concerns. I have waited 4 days to post this...

If I had rated this hotel on the first day I would have given it 'one'. I really understand the frustration of the reviewer that did this. I was so irked by the really shoddy workmanship on 'all' aspects of the resort's construction and finish .Personally it was an insult to my senses and highly distracting. And like others have said it does not meet the criteria of a 5 star hotel. I put some of my frustration down to 35 years of critiquing hotels as a travel consultant.

The last 3 ratings of this hotel reflect how I see it. If you want a beach location, fine. It is now making sense based on a 6 night stay and I am enjoying this aspect. If you are coming to Hoi An for 3 nights then I would stay at the Heritage in town.

I find the ambience hard to rate. Yes I strongly agree it looks and feels like a giant medical research centre but when I bothered to relax down at the beach pool it felt worlds away from that feeling. Helpful happy staff made a difference.

I think there are enough well written reviews in the last week for future travellers to decide. There are a lot of Chinese groups staying here and I see this to be their major market for the future as the hotel looses its new glossy feel and the cheap construction looks even more evident.

1 Thank Sallylyons
GMSunrise, General Manager at Sunrise Premium Resort Hoi An, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Sallylyons

Greetings from Sunrise Hoi An Resort!

I am sadened to read that you have not had the best time staying at Sunrise Hoi An and i will certainly address your review to my team. In regards to a the workmanship in your room, would you please be so kind to share with me more :gm@sunrisehoian.vn as i am keen to resolve such matters.

I believe that the design is a rather contemporary feel but not of a giant medical facilitiy just because of the open walkways and white building paint and it also would not make any sense if we would have created "just another resort" which does not have any special characteristics, however i respect your comments on this.

Thank you for your time and your review which is well received and we will be taking your comments forward and work on it.

Sven Saebel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is pretty good in concept. Its a new resort style hotel with all the amenities and well laid out rooms. (We had the suite with the waterview on the third floor). However, the execution needs a bit of work.

The room was super spacious and I was quite happy with that. The view was great too but the room had some draw backs. And these drawbacks seem to echo what others have commented. That is, the finishings were subpar. The grouting for the tiling and general workmanship was clearly lacking. Its like they slapped this hotel together pretty fast. Would I stay here again? Yes. I liked the size of my room and the subpar finishings, for a short stay, I can accept. Would I buy an apartment with that type of workmanship? No. Other things that were lacking in the room was the cleanilness and general upkeep of the room. There were scratches and some stains on the furniture. For a 5 star hotel, this should not be the norm.

As well, we had issues with our air conditioner. It was very weak. We had to leave a key in the room when we were out to ensure the room maintained and could get to a cool temperature. This was so even when we had the air conditioner on max - which was very very weak. At the end of the day though I was OK with the temperature.

While we had minor issues with the room, I liked the staff. Their English is limited and perhaps their customer service skills aren't the best. (When we were eventually checked in and lead to the room, there were still staff removing some fold up beds which made me think if the room was truly ready and cleaned. They did leave some minor debris as they cleared out) but I think the staff truly tried and were well intentioned. There were other minor things too but again, they did try and were never rude.

I echo the shuttle bus issue that others have said. While there are service to town and the airport, the shuttle service is a bit sparse. The first and only time we tried the shuttle to town, it was full and some people were left behind. Other times we took a cab (approx $5 USD) or the following day when I rented a scooter, we just scootered to and from.

I felt we had OK value for the stay. The issues we had were outweighed by the size and layout of our room. The staff was nice but needs a bit more training.

1 Thank BigToeFur
Dear BigToeFur

Greetings from Sunrise Ho An Resort!

Thank you for your time and thorough review. I am sorry that we could not fullfill your expectations in terms of building quality and I will be looking into the areas which can be improved.

I would be glad if you decide to return and directly contact me on :gm@sunrisehoian.vn

With warm regards and thank you for your review contribution.

Melbourne
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed for 7 nights in an Ocean View room. It wasn't part of a deal, we just booked directly with the hotel. Our room was great, in fact better than we expected. Spacious with a comfortable bed, nice bathroom with large rain shower. The balcony looked right over the resort to the beach and ocean. People have commented on the overall quality of workmanship of the hotel, and no it's not perfect, but in my opinion not as bad as some make it out to be. We certainly did not have lights falling off walls, and didn't notice collapsing rails in the pool. As far as paint splatters - who cares - your on holiday. The foyer was impressive and had a fantastic view over the main pool towards the beach - very inviting. There are two pools, a larger one in the middle of the resort and a small lap / infinity pool next to the beach. Both pools were sparkling clean and there were plenty of loungers to choose from. The staff were good at coming around and offering drinks. We found the staff to be really good, they always said hello and had smiling faces. Overall their English was good and we didn't have issues explaining ourselves. The breakfast provided was good too. Plenty to choose from, from a mix of western and local. Our one disappointment was the Seafood Barbeque - it was fairly average to be honest and I wouldn't have it again. The food was fresh but the seafood on offer just didn't look that appetizing. We had room service one night and it was really good - prices so much lower than Australia. We tried the Spa, and it was good. Not as good as Spa's in Thailand, but more ambient than a local Spa. Prices are still cheap in comparison to Australia, but yes of course higher than a local Spa might charge. Happy hour was good and enjoyable looking out towards the ocean. The gym was good with really upmarket equipment and quite a good selection. The beach - well as you know it's not great. Yes there are sandbags holding the sand in place, so you can't swim directly in front of the hotel. The resort has set up another beach area just a minute from the hotel where you can swim and use beach loungers. The beach loungers around the lap pool are on sand, so it made it feel nicer, and there are beach loungers on the beach in front of the hotel to use - you just have to jump into the lap pool to cool down. It's not a 5 star hotel, but it is still a good hotel overall. The staff were lovely and make up for any 'quality' shortfalls that people might notice. They offer a shuttle bus into Hoi An, but the taxi fare is only about AUD $5-$6 anyway. Hoi An town wonderful. There are so many restaurants to choose from and lots of interesting shops to look at. We did a cooking class with Morning Glory restaurant, and it was great. Also did a day tour to Hue which we loved too. It's really nice to be able to stay at the beach, and yet be close enough to go out for dinner in the township. We had airport transfers with the hotel, and both times they were on time and faultless.

Room Tip: We had room 3325 which is on the 3rd floor (top level closest to beach), and it was the closest Ocea...
3 Thank rooleyes
Dear Rooleyes

Greetings from Sunrise Hoi An!

Thank you for your time and review. I have shared your valuable review and i do hope to welcome you back again.

Auckland
Reviewed October 17, 2012

the finishing touches to the hotel are very poor. Staying here at the moment and my bedside light is falling off the wall, the towel rail in the bathroom has half fallen off. Paint splatters all over the tilework around the reflection pools outside, and the safety rail between the kids pool and main swimming pool is about to collapse. That's just the tip of the iceberg and is a very poor run for a place that's only been open a few months.

DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT A NICE BEACH ON YOUR DOORSTEP. The beach at the hotel completely sandbagged and we are being told not to swim at it. There is a beach only 1 minutes walk further along the coast, however it is completely covered in litter (old shoes, polystyrene, plastic bags, and even broken glass). The water is full of old bricks and litter as well. Because it is on a sandspit towards the river mouth, this means the currents drag a lot of sand off the beach, but also leave a lot of local fishermen's litter.

Decor: great if you want to stay in a place that resembles a medical research centre, or perhaps the headquarters of a pharmiceutical company.

Service: this has been one of the few positives until today where it has all fellen apart - waiting 20 minutes for drinks, etc, etc.

I will never return to this 'resort'.

8 Thank SJR33
Dear SJR33,

Greetings from Sunrise Hoi An Resort!

I am not certain where to start with your review but i can only say that your review is unprofessional and sarcastic at best!

First of all you have made the choice to stay at Sunrise Hoi An Resort at your own decision and by all means if a customer is booking into a hotel he/she will make prior research of the facilities as to what to expect, What you have desribed as Medical Facility at best, is a contemporary design which probably does not suit your expectations.

Secondly, the beach which you have described to be littered is being cleaned on a daily basis and i cannot follow your description on this. I can only assume that you have visted just after a storm approached us and it is naturally worldwide even in NZ to have litter on the beach.

For all other points i can only advise the decerned reader that the comments by SJR33 do not reflect Sunrise Hoi An Resort which i personally guarantee for.

Sincerely
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Found the Sunrise to be a good hotel, not a great 5 star though. It did suit our purpose and we got a great deal so it was well worth it. Still needs fine tuning and the beach is not suitable for swimming. The pool is very nice so it didn't bother us. The rooms are well designed with a great view of the ocean. As for the workmanship it is not of a high standard and considering it is a relatively new hotel in areas it already needs attention. It is close to the town Hoi An so it was an easy ride into town. The staff were friendly but believe that they may not be trained appropriately to meet the requirements of a true 5 star resort. Would stay again if I got a great deal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SueK58
Dear SueK58

Greetings from Sunrise Hoi An Resort!

Thank you for your positive review and i have taken note on the areas of improvement necessary in our service. The beach unfortunately is during the Monsoon Season not accessible due to the strong currents however guests have the choice to use our side beach beside our pools which provides you opportunities to relax and swim in the ocean.

The beach will be fully recover after the monsoon season as you can see on some pictures which the guests posted on Trip Advisor.

With warm regards
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Good modern hotel located right on the beach with good room facilities and views. Staff were friendly and helpful - we had a good three night stay despite the hotel having to make precautionary arrangements for the arrival of a pending typhoon. Being on the white sand beach means you are out of town - but beautiful Hoi An was only a £3 taxi ride away.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We have just returned from a 6 day stay at Sunrise, booked through Deals.com. The deal included 6 nights accom, 3 meals per day at any of the restaurants and 90mins of spa treatments per person per day. First impression was 'WOW! Visually stunning from the outside and a good distance from Old Hoi An. We checked into our suite which was also very impressive at first glance. Unfortunately the hotel has been built very poorly so the finishing is shoddy. There was a storm during our stay and our 3rd floor patio doors leaked like a sieve. On close inspection, there were 3 screws holding the entire frame in place so the wind and rain just whistled through the gaps. There was also water leaking through the ceiling around the lights.
The spa treatments were mostly good but I would avoid the facials, especially if you have sensitive skin or are over 40.
Breakfasts were fine but the sausages were often undercooked in the middle as were the egg whites. We were disappointed to find out that our deal only allowed us to eat from a very limited set menu which was not specified when we booked. Also, there was supposed to be a Seafood Buffet on Fri, Sat and Sun but this was cancelled due to the storm and in it's place, they had a very average 'international' buffet.
Service was good but the English is very poor.
I would recommend staying at this hotel within the next year (but eat elsewhere). After that, I suspect it will look very worn and ragged.

1 Thank Europick
Dera Eurpick

Greetings from Sunrise Hoi An Resort!

Thank you for your comments which are valuable to improve our service.The Communication Problems in our Resort are minor as we have a Australian English Teacher onsite, however someone cant expect a perfect english but our team is willing to learn and i am certain it will further improve.

For the choices of deals.com.au you have the choice of 46 different Apatizers and Main Courses plus deserts and in addition the Seafood BBQ which unfortunately was cancelled during your stay due to the weather conditions.

The assumption that the building would look ragged after 1 year is not the case as we will ensure the opposite to guarantee guidelines for our 5 star license standards of Vietnam.

I thank you for your comments and i will certainly look into your highlighted areas as i see room for improvement.