“Would stay again!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #53 of 140 Hotels in Hoi An
South Australia
“Would stay again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

We have just spent 8 nights at the Sunrise Hoi An Beach Resort and thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing ambience and the friendly attentive staff. We particularly were impressed by Vien who was a "trainee" staff member who worked around the pool restaurant. He welcomed us like no other and we believe he has a great future in the tourism industry.
We used the well equipped gym most days and whilst the beach had some restoration work happening it was timed to prevent disturbance to guests. The spa and laundry service is pricey.
Our room was very well designed and modern, with amazing views over the pools and sea to the distant islands. This view could also be taken in from the shower, unless you want to use the shower blind!
The rooms are well maintained; perhaps too much so. We were disturbed by random visits to "check the room." We resolved this by using the privacy hanger on the door whenever we were in the room.
The breakfast provided a wide variety of foods but largely catered for Asian tastes.
The resort is 10 minutes from the Old Town which suited us well because we had the luxury of pools, beach and superb, relaxing views whilst having easy access to restaurants and shops.
We would definitely choose Sunrise Hoi An Beach Resort again as it provides a wonderful relaxing holiday environment with exceptional facilities and staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room closest to the sea.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMSunrise, General Manager at Sunrise Premium Resort Hoi An, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Lou33377
Greetings from Sunrise Hoi An Resort!
I would like to thank you so much for taking the time sharing your experience at Sunrise Hoi An Resort and also apologize for the currently happening beach works which is to strengthen our seawall against unexpected and unwanted storms and weather conditions which can occur.

I will review the SPA and Laundry Pricing to ensure we are on the common level within 5 star hotels.

I do hope to welcome you back soon to Sunrise Hoi An Resort!

Sven Saebel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

My partner and I stayed here in late August and had a fantastic time. Check-in was easy, room and view fantastic and staff were great. Everything at the resort was perfect. Easy 6km out of the main part of Hoi an - but a shuttle bus or $6 taxi takes you in. Breakfast was good - even the coffee wasnt too bad for Vietnam. I would most certainly come back and would recommend it to anyone looking for a new and modern place to stay. Yes there were sandbags on the beach but these are big bags - 2m square and really not an issue and only on the edges of the main patrolled section. They are there to help maintain the sand and not a problem. Staff are really friendly and will do anything to make your stay enjoyable. (Hi Taos and Vien!!) A pity to have to go home!!

Dear GuyU,
Greetings from Sunrise Hoi An Resort!

Thank you for have spend your Holidays with us and I am very proud to have team members such as Vien and Taos which you have recognized. Our main aim is to develop future vietnamese hoteliers and it is team members as him which we are proudly supporting to become the future elite in vietnamese hotels.

I do hope to welcome you back with your partner in Sunrise Hoi An and I would like to extend by gratitude for your time and review.

Nelson Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I and my friend been Victoria for 02 nights before moving to Sunrise resort. We're really enjoy the modern style resort with deluxe room looking at beautiful ocean. Service is excellent and breadfast buffet was good. Lunch & dinner also quite good in Hotel but quite expensive. We tried local restaurant 'A Roi' as recommended from hotel staff but it' not really tasty as we expected, poor service and so so food. Second night we found a small restaurant right in front of hotel called ' The Blue Wave', such amazing they have great food and very friendly service. It was nice to talk with restaurant owner Kim & Lam. We came back every single day after then before leaving beautiful town on 04 of sept.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GMSunrise, General Manager at Sunrise Premium Resort Hoi An, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Blue R

Greetings from Sunrise Hoi An Resort!

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and comments on our services. I will certainly review the recommondation of restaurants my team is giving to our guests and hope to welcome you back soon to Sunrise Hoi An Resort!

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I along with her parents have just returned from 6 nights at this resort. We upgraded through Deals.com to the suite package which included meals and 120 mins each per day of spa treatments. Check In went smoothly as the staff are becoming more fluent with their English, we were escorted to our rooms on the 3rd floor right at the front of the building facing the ocean. Meals were fabulous every day, breakfast at Sensations, lunch at Sao Bein then dinner back at Sensations. One evening we even chatted with the General Manager (Mr Sven - as the staff call him) and he is fully aware that their are a number of minor things that need attending too. The same night the Head Chef (Mr William) also came and chatted with us and seeing as it was my father-in-laws 69th birthdayfew days into our stay Mr William en surprised him with a fabulous cake.
We would like to thank a couple of staff members who were always pleasant and curteous and only to eager to please and they relished us talking to them and helping them improve their English. Thao at the Sao Bein resteraunt and Suong at Sensations. Suong even met us in Hoi An on her day off and took our wives to the markets so they could experience the true shopping like the locals.
The beach area some feel it was a little disappointing as the sand bags were exposed due to recent severe storm that took away 80 meters of the beach. So some maintenace work was being done to restore this area and secure it before the wet season. Very safe area to swim in the ocean and always a lifeguard on duty from sunrise to sunset.
If you are looking for clothes you must try Bebe in Hoi An, go and see either Cuc or Na and they will look after you like true professionals in the tailoring trade. Yes they are open to a little bargaining but the quality of the ials and the workmanship is sensational. You will be greeted by Vince who speaks excellent English and can also organise anything you may want outside of the clothes area he is a real Entrepeneur in Hoi An.

Room Tip: Sunrise Suite as they have ocean views
Dear 1955Silver,

Greetings from Sunrise Hoi An Resort!

Thank you for taking the time of your review and also highlighting our team members Thao, Suong and William which i will be gladly passing on this comment to. As per our conversation we are still improving our resort.

I do hope to welcome you back next year again to Sunrise Hoi An Resort!

Mr Sven
Shiki, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

When you travel to the hotel from Danang airport by a normal taxi, I recommend you triple check that the driver knows where he is going and stays on the coastal road. We had problems when the taxi driver (from a reputable company - Mai Linh) detoured into Hoi An town which drove the price up. I guess the price should have been somewhere between 400,00 dong to 430,000 dong. However, when we arrived at the hotel and refused to pay him the 500,000 dong he was asking for, the hotel staff intervened on our behalf and got him to accept what we were giving him, so full credit to the hotel staff for supporting its guests in that way.

The hotel staff did seem a little too keen to advertise certain local businesses. For example, upon check in, we were told which tailor they recommended in town, without having asked about it. This barrage of recommendations was not particularly welcomed after a flight and a stressful encounter with a taxi driver when all we wanted to do was check in and get to our room. The member of staff also wrongly told us we were mistaken about the date of the lantern festival in the town centre - something which, being so popular with tourists, they should really know about. The next day, the staff member did approach us, apologise and let us know that she had made a mistake.

So, as I said, a metered taxi to or from the airport should cost around 400,000 to 430,000 dong. The hotel, however, will provide its guests with a private car to do the same, for the price of 480,000 dong! This seems like a bit of a rip off considering you can take a normal Mai Linh taxi for 50,000 dong less than that, and there is always a bunch of them waiting for business in the hotel’s drive. At the end of the day, a taxi or a private car from the hotel amounts to the same thing in my book. Obviously, however, if you take the hotel’s private car, you don’t run the risk of the taxi driver taking you on their special long route through Hoi An town centre to get themselves a little extra money. Personally, although I had this kind of trouble coming from the airport, I will still take a taxi next time as my experience with Mai Linh taxis was generally very positive while in Vietnam.

The hotel provides a great FREE shuttle (mini) bus service to and from Hoi An town centre. You have to book it an hour prior to boarding, but you don’t need to book for the return journey - just turn up at the shuttle bus stop a few minutes before a scheduled pick up. I can’t remember exactly what time the last shuttle bus is back from the town centre but I believe it was around 21:00. That may sound a little early to some, but the whole town seems to shut down at nine anyway. You book the shuttle bus at the tour desk in the lobby. The member of staff on duty will give you a ticket to show when you get on the bus. Alternatively, If you’d prefer to take a taxi, which we did once or twice, it only costs about 100,000 - 130,000 dong.

Another great service that the hotel provides is a FREE shuttle bus back to the airport! That’s right! They offer a private car for 480,000 dong... or a free shuttle bus! The free shuttle bus, however, does not run so many times a day, so, depending on your flight time you may end up having to weigh up whether you’d rather pay for a taxi (or one of the hotel’s ‘private cars’), or spend a couple of hours longer than you’d like at the airport. The times of the hotel’s shuttle services to the airport, and Hoi An town centre don’t appear to be available on the hotel’s website which is a shame.

As with most hotels in Vietnam, the laundry services can feel a bit pricey when everything else seems so cheap in the country! However, if you walk out of the hotel’s entrance and down the hotel’s driveway to the right, as you approach the end you will be greeted by a load of people waving at you and calling, ‘Hello’! (It’s only a minute’s walk from the hotel lobby.) Yes, it is strange. These people, however, are perfectly honest people just jockeying for your business. There are two houses - one is Mrs Hong’s and one is Miss Tung’s. Mrs Tung’s washing machine is more modern (I know because I’ve seen both of their machines!), but Mrs Hong is more charming! I would recommend Mrs Hong, but both ladies seem quite trustworthy. They weigh your washing and then you pay by the kilogram. I believe Mrs Hong may have initially asked for a little more, but we managed to haggle her down to 20,000 dong per kilogram. She will machine wash (or hand wash upon request) your items, hang them up and have them folded and ready to give back to you in a plastic bag the following day at an agreed time. These people also sell alcohol, soft drinks and cigarettes at normal prices. Their English skills are limited, but they get by.

The room was good. We had an ocean view room which was nice and quiet. Housekeeping came twice a day - the first time is at the normal expected time, and the second time is in the early evening to (re)make the bed. The shower had a nice ‘rain shower’ fixture. The hotel gave us complimentary fruit, a chocolate cake and a bottle of red wine for our honeymoon which was appreciated. There was an alarm clock in the room, which we found was not always provided in other Vietnamese hotels, so that was handy. The hand soap was made locally from natural ingredients - my wife especially liked that!!!

Breakfast was good. Smoking is allowed anywhere within the restaurant. There are rather pleasant seats located in a conservatory style area. However, it can be a little hot in there, so if you prefer to sit somewhere cooler it’s best to stay in the main part of the restaurant.

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The price that we booked it for was amazingly good value, and the hotel is lovely and a great place to relax. Every day, after a late breakfast, we spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon lounging around by the pool. The hotel has 2 pools with a bar located between them. The pool nearest the lobby is deepest, and it is so refreshing to go for a swim here in the heat of the day. Sometimes, the pool staff would turn up with massive blocks of ice and toss them into the water for the kids to play with. The beach is also nice, but we only went in the sea once. In August at least, the sea’s water isn’t clear, but it looks clean enough. There were always loungers available by the pools and if you need a drink or a snack the pool bar staff come over for orders. It was really hot around midday, so rather than go into town during daylight hours we decided to spend our time here. I would recommend going into town on the 16:00 shuttle bus, because, the centre of town closes its roads to motorbikes from 17:00 to 21:00 every night so it’s far less stressful to explore it then.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at the Sunrise. I would definitely like to stay here again. If you are travelling to Hoi An and are looking for a hotel where you can chill out before heading into town, this would be a great place to stay.

2 Thank Mr.Ashwell
Treviso, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Massive open plan structure on the beach which is apparently only 8 months old. Huge modern rooms with an impressive bathroom and a bed that could probably sleep 6, they even have the forethought to leave a key card in the room circuit breaker so you can leave the air con on while you are out.
Amazing breakfast with lots of choice and brilliant service.
You need to be quick to book the shuttle bus and the free bikes they have on offer as spaces/bikes are limited. The taxi back from town costs around 130000VND (€5/6).

We random checked on booking.com a few days before our stay and were throughly annoyed at the fact that the price had halved in 4/6 weeks since we had booked.
I didnt like the fact that at check-in they wanted to charge a deposit of €30 a day to my card to cover what I might spend.
Due to the strong waves they have had to sandbag the beach to stop it being washed away.
The food isn't cheap! Yes I know its a 5star hotel, but its absurd to have to pay european prices (3x more) for food that you can get for a lot less just down the road!

Dear Dhar_2
Greetings from Sunrise Hoi An Resort!

Thank you so much for your lovey review and comments. The resort opened 1. March 2012 and we are still in fine tuning services which leads me to comment on your review of our food pricing which i cannot agree with.

In your review you are comparing the pricing standard from a outside local restaurant to the hotel with European pricing which is not correct. Sunrise Hoi An meal ranges starting ffrom 4 USD for vietnamese dishes, over a burger for 12 USD to Rib-Eye Steaks at USD 25 which is not 3 times higher than in a European Restaurrant and you can certainly not compare the food qualities from outside road vendors to our resort which is using imported food products to ensure quality and hygiene standards.

The construction of our Seawall is currently tking place and will be concluded within mid September in preperation for the upcoming Monsoon Season and also as a longterm development to recover the natural beach.

It is standard practise in any 5 star international resort to take credit card verifications on your credit card which will also include a deposit on any incidential charges which is also explained upon check in.

Nevertheless I would like to thank you for your positive rating and hope to welcome you back soon to Sunrise Hoii An Resort.

Baden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very nice hotel with only minor area for improvements.
Beach was ok as it was under maintenance thus filled with sand bags during our stay, but seawater is perfectly emerald blue! Very modern hotel, nice pool, nice lobby for relaxing, good service. Room is not very big but acceptable.
Shuttle service to town is not frequent. Taxi is conveniently available though. The hotel provides bicycles as well.
Food by restaurants not very impressive, so-so. Buffet seafood not as fresh as I anticipated; desserts selection of buffet was a let down too. Breakfast buffet average - someday ok, someday tasteless.

Dear Dandelion1684

Greetings from Sunrise Hoi An Resort!

Thank you for your visit and time eveluating our services on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure having you tay with us and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

With warm regards