“Reaching Out - fantastic place to buy good-quality souvenirs and gifts”

Reaching Out Arts and Crafts
Ranked #7 of 409 Shopping in Hoi An
More attraction details
Owner description: Reaching Out is a social enterprise, training and employing persons with disabilities. Our artisans create beautiful gifts of high quality from tea ware patterned after that used by the Imperial family in Hue to elegant table ware and bedspreads of colourful silks. Our silver jewellery is designed in-house by our staff and made right on the premises. Customers are invited to visit the workshop which is right behind the retail store to watch how their purchases have been made. Our staff are willing to answer your questions and of course can tell you the details of the processes by which your gifts are crafted. They will also proudly show you to our Tea House, where you can experience a cup of coffee or tea, served in the traditional Vietnamese manner by our speech and hearing impaired staff.
QLD Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Reaching Out - fantastic place to buy good-quality souvenirs and gifts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

It was pure chance that I stumbled upon the "Reaching Out" handicraft shop at 103 Nguyen Thai Hoc - but ended up going back a number of times when different members of my tour group saw what I had purchased there!

The shop sells good-quality art and craft pieces which are made by people with a disability in a workshop at the back of the store . We were able to visit the workshop, meet the artists and see how the pieces were made, which was such a privilege. All the the artwork is fixed-price (and incredibly cheap on our exchange-rate) and beautifully displayed. The work available ranges from jewelry (earrings, bracelets, neck pieces), to tea cups and tea pots, hand-made cards and handbags to exquisitely embroidered table centres.

I bought a number of pieces, went back and bought more and, now I am home, wish I had purchased even more. I definitely plan to return to Hoi An and "Reaching Out" will be one of my first stops.

Visited September 2012

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A totally lovely shop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have visited Hoi an twice in the past two years and both times visited this store. It is in a handy location opposite what became one of our favourite restaurants. I have to say that shops in Vietnam can feel high-pressured, but this shop was the most pleasant with friendly, lovely assistants. As well I very much enjoyed reading the information about the various people who worked there and how they had acquired their skills that were giving them the hope of better future. An inspiring place to visit for me.

Visited April 2012
Melbourne, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Hoi An- Make this your first stop when shopping in Vietnam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We came a across this shop when visiting Hoi An on a day trip from our resort and from the moment we walked in and saw the wonderfully created and talented items for sale we knew we would be making a purchase. The shop is stocked with handmade items from people with different abilities and is a Fair Trade Outlet, we instantly feel in love with a handmade tea set and after speaking with the sales assistant we were taken out the back to meet the makers of it, they we blind and did everything by feel which is just amazing. We made a number of purchases and as they say Gifts for someone special from someone special. Like the rest of Vietnam yes you can buy the rip off t shirts and fake branded items from the various stores in Hoi An but I would urge you to maybe spend just a little bit more and support this wonderful enterprise.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Drue S
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful Crafts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I found this store on a recent 4 day trip to Hoi An. We loved it! Over the 4 days we stopped in 3 times - everytime purchasing something as the crafts kept coming out! Bags, lanterns, table runners, jewellery... The list goes on! I highly recommend paying this shop a visit!

2 Thank Abbalina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A must when in Hoi An”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

This store is a must when in Hoi An. Very friendly staff, very impressive crafts for sale and the proceeds go to a good charity!

1 Thank Mrandmrswigo