“Best Banh Mi is in Hoi An according to Anthony Bourdain, and it's here”
Review of Banh Mi Phuong

Banh Mi Phuong
Ranked #160 of 1,050 Restaurants in Hoi An
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: We have been serving up the most delicious banh mi in Hoi An for more than 30 years. We use a special sauce made from the juice of the smoked pork to create a standout flavor for own brand . See you at my shop
Reviewed December 29, 2016

I watched Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation prior to my visit to Vietnam and he mentioned the best Banh Mi is in Hoi An. In the show, the place was more like a street vendor, almost like a fast food service with no sitting area. I took note of the Banh Mi shop plaque and googled it, located it on Google Map and saved it (which is unnecessary because the homestay owner told me where it is and I have to visit this place no matter what)

So imagine my shock when the place turned out to be a 2-storey shop with dining area on ground floor and 1st floor. "Kitchen" is near the entrance with long queue for take away Banh Mi. I am happy that the business has been good for the shop and they are able to expand.

About the queue, it is mainly for take away. If you plan to dine in, just walk straight in and talk to the staff. If they have table, you can just walk in. We were waiting outside for 5 minutes before we realized that there were available seats inside if we want to dine in.

And yes, the Banh Mi is worth the long queue. They have lots of selection in case you don't eat pork, or beef, or vegetarian. But the one I eyed on was number 9, I can't remember the whole name but it has pork pate in the baguette and that was the one that A.B. ate on the show and that's what I planned to get.

The price for the best Banh Mi? 20,000 Dong or USD 0.87 ... not even USD1 !

Btw, you might see locals cutting into queue. It's acceptable coz the queue is mainly for the tourist, plus I didn't really see a lot of locals cutting in, just 1 or 2 locals for every 10 tourists

MUST VISIT if you are in Hoi An!

10  Thank go852
Write a ReviewReviews (2,803)

Reviewed December 29, 2016 via mobile

We went to try this Banh Mi joint as it was recommended on Anthony Bourdain's show. Luckily when we got there the queue was manageable and in no time we tucked into this delicious Vietnamese specialty. We tried the mixed Banh Mi with Chilli and although we liked it, we prefer their criss town rival Madam Khanh - Banh Mi Queen's version. If you've got the hunger pangs on either end of town you're covered with one of these Banh Mi specialists!

Reviewed December 29, 2016 via mobile

We found this place just on a wander, not a deliberate search. Immediately recalled this being featured by Anthony Bordain. The 20 minute wait in line was worth it. Don't be fussy, just buy from the menu board...that way many more people can get through quickly. The last bit of the crunchy pointy end of the roll is simply the best

Reviewed December 28, 2016 via mobile

I love Banh Mi, and this was my first Vietnamese Banh Mi experience.
We tried chicken and roast pork options, and while the textures and flavours were different to what we've had in Australia, it was delicious and most importantly, fresh. Just yum!

Reviewed December 28, 2016 via mobile

I've always like banh mi but this one stood out amongst the rest.The bread is crunchy, the meat is seasoned deliciously and quite generous with the greens. Worth queuing up for and again.