“The place of the god-wich”
Review of Banh Mi Phuong

Banh Mi Phuong
Ranked #145 of 946 Restaurants in Hoi An
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: We have been serving up the most delicious banh mi in Hoi An for more than 30 years. We use a special sauce made from the juice of the smoked pork to create a standout flavor for own brand . See you at my shop
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The only way to review this place is to say that it is as close to god as a sandwich can get. You may think this is blasphemy, you may think I shouldn't compare god to a sandwich, but you are reading this review which means you have yet to eat said sandwich. Trust me, god considers this review a compliment. This is the best Banh Mi in Hoi An, I know, I did the street tour and tried all the Banh Mi there is to try here. Not only that, it qualifies as the single best sandwich I've ever had. My wife and I also had a discussion while eating the sandwich for the 2nd time in 3 meals wether or not this was the "most satisfying" food we've ever eaten. We failed to come up with any foodstuff more satisfying than the Oppla Banh Mi (Banh Mi with egg) or the standard Pork Banh Mi - which means it wins both "Best Sandwich Ever" and "Most Satisfying Meal Ever" awards. As if that weren't enough, the sandwich costs only $1, making it easily the best value meal you could possibly put in your Banh hole. Do yourself a favor and don't miss this place if you are like me and consider sandwiches to be a religion.

5  Thank rioderbi
Write a ReviewReviews (2,477)

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

The title says it all. Simply the best. We skipped breakfast in our hotel, got a banh mi and cycled to the beach to eat it. The price was 20000 for a banh mi with everything but without egg.

Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

It was the BEST banh mi I've ever had! So fresh and yummy! I've been craving one ever since we left Hoi An! We ordered the 'deluxe' and all the flavors worked so well together. It was 20,000 each. What a deal! Find this lil gem on the busy streets of Hoi An and enjoy the banh mi sitting on the little stools!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

After 2 weeks in Vietnam, we had yet to experience a truly exceptional Banh Mi. It isn't much of an institution in the part of Hanoi we spent our first week in and our trip further down the coast to Dong Hoi and Hue did not yield any better results. We researched bit to find out where we could find this tasty morsel and Phuong Banh Mi (thanks to Anthony Bourdain's coverage) came up. We stumbled upon the stall (it's not a restaurant or a shop - just a cart wedged into the side of a massive market) and ordered the works. What was presented to us mere minutes later was simply a work of culinary art. The baguette was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, absorbing the mayonnaise and broth that was generously applied before the baguette was stuffed with no less than 10 ingredients: bitter lettuce leaves, coriander, cucumber, tomato, barbecued pork, ham, sausage, pâté, green chilli and an ample helping of spicy chilli sauce. The offer of a fried egg stuffed in was accepted on our second visit, 2 days later. Sauce and filling spilled out and it was a messy affair, all in all. But an absolutely delicious one that will linger in our minds for a long time to come. This should be ranked much, much higher on here.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

These women know how to make the most tasty, crispy and fresh banh mi EVER! If you want to see what goes into them, just youtube 'banh mi anthony bourdain'. They are acknowledged by the locals as the best. I waited months to get to this stall and I must say it was worth the wait.
Cost without egg is 20,000 dong, thats $1. With egg an extra 2000 dong.
BTW dont throw your rubbish on the ground where you sit (as suggested by another post), it will get blown straight down the street and into the river. Help keep Hoi An clean please.
Banh Mi Phuong is a little hard to find. Get yourself to the corner of Tran Phu and Hoang Dieu then walk down towards the bridge. It's on your right about 50 meters from the corner at the entrance to the first laneway.
The first time we went was about 3pm and they were just about sold out so dont get there too late.

2  Thank Bofman