“Great company, great food... a great experience !”
Review of Coconut Tours

Coconut Tours
Ranked #30 of 157 Outdoor Activities in Hoi An
More attraction details
Owner description: Phuoc offers cycling tours with a foodie edge, cooking classes run from the kitchen of his riverside thatched cottage. And now Eat Hoi An - a street food adventure visiting the best of Hoi An's street food carts and introducing you to his old family friends, the faces behind the flavours. Coconut Tours Hoi An aims to take you away from the ordinary and put you in the middle of the extraordinary. Fantastic tour itineraries at prices that won't break your budget.
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed in Hoi An and the hotel staff from 'Van Lan Villa's' (fantastic accommodation on the river) recommended doing a 'Tasting Tour' with Phuoc. She called and arranged for us to meet him in the afternoon. We were met by a friendly, energetic Mr Phuoc - who smiled and handed me a pair of chopsticks and said 'Hi, these are your weapons' !!!
We ate, laughed and learnt about the local food for the next 5 hours.... I wish I could remember the vietnamese phrase he taught us for ' that tastes great'... it was our catch phrase after each meal. I loved seeing and learning about lots of local foods I would not have otherwise tried. We finished the night with a beer and a very full belly.

The next day, Mr Phuoc picked me up and took me to the local market with some other tourists too. We shopped for food and rode bicycles to his grandparents place. I enjoyed the personal experience of learning about and seeing the local produce being grown and meeting his proud grandfather - a hero in Vietnam. It was a privledge to meet him.

Mr Phuoc has a charming bungalow where he teaches cooking from. I was so impressed with how clean and organised it was and enjoyed the authenticity of his class. The food was first class with fantastic service and a food massage afterwards on the river.

Meeting Mr Phuoc was a memorable experience.... enjoyable and entertaining... a must do in Hoi An.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"bike ride"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Phuoc is a man you most definitely should meet! Funny, charming, and a super-talented chef! We had an amazing 1/2 day cooking with him in the afternoon. He organised activities for us to do in the morning, and then we met him after lunch as he took us to a local market to buy all the ingredients for our dishes. Because my wife is a more experienced cook herself, Phuoc let us choose which Vietnamese dishes we wanted to learn how to make! With our ingredients in hand, we took motorbikes to a local village area where we first toured the gardens to see the fresh fruits/vegetables/spices (many of which we used), and then he taught us how to make 4 amazing dishes...all tasted superb. We ate dinner with him and relished probably our best meal in 3 weeks in Vietnam! Well worth it, and everyone should try (even if you can't cook). Many thanks!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Phuoc was a wonderful host today on our market/biking/cooking/foot massage tour. Firstly he was able to squeeze my wife and I into a last minute booking of this very popular tour. We first were guided through the market stalls to select the fresh ingredients for our cooking class. He has a wealth of knowledge of the products and gave great explanations answering all our questions and more. We then ventured on bicycles through the city streets and out through the rice/vegetable fields to his purpose built traditional style cooking school. We were shown how to and made a variety of dishes and were so impressed by his teaching style and of course the food!!!
After an amazing lunch we went down to the river side for a great foot massage which was so relaxing and followed by tea and fruit. We totally loved the experience and won't hesitate to try his other tours on our next visit.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

What a wonderful day we had ;mounting our bikes & riding to the local market to select produce for our cooking lesson. 3 km. later we arrived at Phuoc's authentic purpose built venue. Following a cool drink we went behind the building to view the vast market garden where we were told about the soil preparation for the herbs that were growing there.The picking & distribution of the herbs was also explained to us. We then started our cooking class (3 dishes in all). Phuoc explained the ingredients used & how they should be cooked. We had a very tasty fresh lunch. From there we went across the road to the river bank where we were were greeted by massuers who treated us to a wonderful massage before we hopped on the bikes again to go back to Hoi An.Great day thanks Phuoc Helen & Co.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was one of my favourite experiences in Vietnam, Phuoc was such an friendly, interesting and enthusiatic person. It started with a ride around the markets in Hoi An where he taught us all about the local produce and we selected what we were going to take back to the village to cook.

The herb village was such a beautiful and peaceful place and we were shown all the different types of herbs they grow there and we walked around and learnt about the history of the village. The classes were really easy and enjoyable and we made such delicious food. He gave us all a book so we could write down the recipes and steps to do at home. He is also happy to cater to vegetarians and one of the recipes he taught us, black pepper tofu, is one of my all time favourite recipes, we have it at least once a week back home.

We also then got to meet his 90 year old grandfather who was a spy in the war, it was really interesting to hear his story and learn about the old customs. Afterwards we sat out in the pretty garden and had tea and even got foot massages, which was a funny experience, and then just sat around and talked. It was just really relaxed like sitting and joking with your family, nice to get away from the hustle and bustle for a while and visit the real Vietnam.

We went on the tour as a couple with a mother and her son who was about 12 so I think it's also suitable for children over a certain age. I'd really recommend this tour if it's something you might be interested in, it really was a great experience and one you won't forget.