“Friendly but ordinary for general sewing”
Review of Nhu Mai Fashion

Nhu Mai Fashion
Ranked #281 of 414 Shopping in Hoi An
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I can not comment on the tailoring done by this shop just the copying of 3 items of general clothing - a shirt dress, a shirred blouse and a sleeveless tunic top. I am a very experienced sewer and know a lot about fabrics, quality, workmanship, detailing etc. but decided that "while in Rome do as the Romans do" and have garments made while in Hoi An and staying near this positively reviewed on Tripadvisor tailor. The interpretation and copying of the garments was done well but two of the garments were pretty ordinary and with very little sewing detail required. When I returned for my "fitting" i.e. to try on the finished items, the alterations were to do with the sewing rather than the fit. The sleeves on the blouse were not finished the same as one had different hem/ruffle detailing than the other; the neck binding around the tunic top was uneven in the front; a tuck on the front of the tunic top wasn't sitting properly. These changes were made without hassle and I was happy with the look of the finished garments. I had asked for contrasting detail on neck and hem binding for the silk tunic top but "the tailor forgot" and the sleeves on the shirred blouse had been interpreted differently from the original garment because "there wasn't enough fabric". I asked for a discount of $5 because of the simpler detail and was only able to secure $2. Overall I think the garments were over priced and can make a comparison as my husband had 4 long sleeved shirts with neck band, collar, cuffs, cuff plackets and pockets etc. made by a tailor a few doors along on the same street and the sewing is impeccable and these cost $12 each. Yes, not tailored, but alot of pieces and sewing time - I know, I have sewn many of these types of shirts and know how long it takes to put them together. I paid $105 for a simple shirt dress with long sleeves, just above knee length in handkerchief cotton, a sleevless tunic top to crotch level in handkerchief cotton, the same sleeveless tunic to just above knee length and a blouse in light weight cotton with shirred neck and waist detail. In all my comment would be - have a good look around before making any commitments.

1  Thank Tracey M

Reviewed August 18, 2011

These young ladies were incredibly helpful for my partner who who got two suites, a skirt and a top made her. They were very helpful and great fun to be with.

2  Thank Jonathan W
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I read great reviews on trip advisor and decided to come and see for myself. I originally came in to have one dress made and wound up ordering multiple shirts for myself and my boyfriend. My boyfriend was unable to make it on this part of the trip and the shop was able to create fantastic custom shirts just based on the measurements that he emailed to me. I highly recommend.

2  Thank Diedre D
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We had two pairs of shorts and two dresses made here, all great. Staff were a laugh and knew their stuff. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed April 18, 2011

after scouring the city of hoi an for a good taylor, and there are plenty of, we finally choose nhu mai fashion shop. friendly and english speaking staff and owners, very good quality, fair prices and a very wide selection of fabrics.
and very important, they are not obstrusive.
the location is close to the center, but not in the center, that means no hussle and not too many tourists.

1  Thank heili1951