“Cooking class was fun”

White Lotus Restaurant
Ranked #125 of 945 Restaurants in Hoi An
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Australian, International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A not-for-profit NGO owned restaurant specialising in top quality, affordable Asian and International cuisine.
Reviewed May 3, 2013

A group of 5 of us did the cooking class, including one teenager. We all enjoyed it, from the walk around the market,, back on the boat, and then the cooking. We selected 3 things to cook and all were involved in cutting, putting together and cooking - yes even the men! It was good fun and I can't wait to try the recipes at home. Thanks Tan (I am not good,at remembering names, but lovely female chef).

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

3 girls with an addiction to fresh spring rolls travelling though Vietnam and we discovered this restaurant our first afternoon in Hoi An.
If course we had to try the fresh spring rolls and they were amongst the most delicious so far.
Staff were friendly and when we returned the next day they remembered one of us doesn't eat pork so they modified for us.
We had been thinking about them all day so it was a great little snack pre dinner.
We're also getting addicted to Vietnamese coffee with ice. Strong n delicious!
Only change would be to wrap ends as open ended filling ends a little on plate. But no downfall to us. Just an observation we commented on.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

The White Lotus is convenient to several hotels, but beyond that there are better choices available. We had the spring rolls, crab fried rolls, green papaya salad and crispy wonton. The food seemed very plain, perhaps more cultivated to western tastes. Most items seemed ordinary in comparison to other restaurants we tried, and a little more expensive, but still reasonable, The crispy wonton had a sweet sour sauce that reminded me of saucy American style Chinese. The others we tried were a much fresher style, more reminiscent of bruschetta, I guess it depends on what you like. Service was good, staff friendly, but I wouldn't choose to go back with other options available.

gefshaw, General Manager at White Lotus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Any negative reviews we receive are subject to investigation and of course, should the review be accurate, the necessary action will be taken to correct the problem. Your review is no exception.
That said, I think your score of 2 is pretty brutal for the perceived minor gastronomic misdemeanour.
Our food is not regarded generally as being bland and is in fact a reasonable balance between tastes such as yours and other less adventurous tastes.
This is a highly subjective matter and, I am sure in the view of any reasonable food reviewer/ commentator, perhaps best handled as a qualification, or footnote in your review, rather than by such a low mark damning the whole dining experience.

Geoffrey Shaw,
Director,
PROJECT INDOCHINA Inc.
(International NGO and owner of the not-for-profit White Lotus Restaurant)

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I dined at White Lotus several times during my recent stay in Hoi An. I was part of a large group (23) and we were all treated to exceptional service, high quality food and such good value for money!

Aside from the 2 group dinners, we also participated in the cooking school and were all delighted at the friendliness of the chef who took us for the session. She is always pleasant and graceful.

I highly recommend this restaurant if you're in Hoi An!

2  Thank Shantrem
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The White Lotus Restaurant is opposite the Ha An Hotel so on quite a busy street. The ambience of the restaurant is nice and we sat out the front, waitresses quickly put a fan on and they were very friendly and attentive. Ordered the steamed spring rolls, for starters, personally I thought they were quite bland. BBQ ribs and vegetables for main, enjoyable and a good sized portion. Total cost with drinks $35 AUD.