“Best food tour ever”

The Original Taste of Hoi An
Ranked #4 of 82 Food & Drink in Hoi An
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We share Hoi An’s best kept food secrets. The Ancient Town of Hoi An is just bursting with interesting and delicious Vietnamese dishes each with its own unique cultural profile; however for one reason or another much of this food remains anonymous and many visitors miss the opportunity to experience this tantalizing world of unique flavors. The aim of our tour is to provide an opportunity to unlock your adventurous culinary spirit and experience the epicurean delights of Hoi An.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best food tour ever”
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

What an amazing way to spend a half day in hoi an! My husband and I recently did this tour with the very knowledgable Neville, what an experience it is, so much food and culture, it's a must do for anyone heading to hoi an. You travel around hoi an finding all the hidden food treasures along the way, with a few stops meeting some of the wonderful locals. We couldn't fault this tour at all and when we come back (which we have decided is a must, as hoi an is amazing) we wouldn't hesitate to do it all again. Thanks for an amazing trip Neville and Colleen, all the best the Aussie newly weds :)

Sydney, Australia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“The best food tour.... Period”
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

If you only do one food tour in your life make sure this is it.

You'll run out of superlatives before you run out of food on this tour. Neville's knowledge is amazing and his stories entertaining.

After five hours you'll have tasted dozens of dishes. Don't worry though servings are tasting size so you won't feel stuffed.

To top it off Neville and his wife make a wonderful contribution to the local community. At they end of the tour you can buy many of the condiments, sweets and more to take home. Profits are donated to Agent Orange charities. Neville also pays his providores a little extra and many locals are quietly slipped cash for their participation.

Make sure you try the many restaurants that Neville recommends at the end of the tour. My partner and I are sitting in one now and the food is outstanding.

Thank you Neville and your team for making this trip so special.

Javea, Spain
118 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 272 helpful votes
“Book early to avoid disappointment.”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

After a month in SE Asia, this time, two weeks of it in Vietnam, I had a pretty good grip on the culinary delights this region has to offer. Choosing to eat the local food 'morning, noon and night' which in this part of the world means at least 6 meals a day, I thought I had a pretty good handle on what is what but I knew there are holes in my knowledge and experience. I realised just how many holes after my morning with Neville Dean, a professional with passion. Yes he is a showman and a raconteur of the highest order, but Neville has a love, appreciation and understanding of food and philosophy of food that few have and we are fortunate that he chooses to share it. More fortunate are we that he chooses to focus his energy on Vietnamese food in Hoi An.
Neville and his team take a small group on a tour of Vietnamese cuisine imparting information that many Vietnamese don't know, pulling together the individual strands that make the rope on which the tour hangs. During this 5 hour tour of street food stalls, small family restaurants and the old market Neville maintains a running commentary, explaining everything about the how and why of the food and ingredients being sampled.
All the food we had was wonderful and tasty, most of it being outside the experience of most travellers. I massively enjoy Vietnamese food and have experienced quite a lot, what this tour did is reveal what I would not otherwise know existed while giving a greater understanding of what I have already experienced. What this tour also confirmed is that there are a lot of Vietnamese restaurants, especially in Hoi An such as for example Orivy, that cater solely for tourists believing that chasing the dollar is more important than providing quality and produce food that they try to pass off as authentic whilst in reality it is not.
Strongly recommend this tour, it was one of the highlights of our entire trip, worth every penny.

1 Thank felipehavana
NYC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A Travel Foodie's Dream”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I am a big fan of "adventurous eating" but the biggest problem is that I rarely know what I am eating when I do it! I was thrilled when I found this tour so my husband and I could get a better overview of the best things to try in Vietnamese (and Hoi An) cuisine. Though I had tasted some of these foods over our past week of traveling in Vietnam, I had no idea what they were. Neville is a great guide who is so passionate about the foods of Hoi An and the locals. Everywhere he goes he is welcomed enthusiastically by merchants who he and his wife support through the tour. He explains why each food is important to the Vietnamese people and their culture and as you travel the market samples appear for your to enjoy as you learn! Neville also will give you great suggestions on different local restaurants to try, optometrists, tailors, ect… Suggest that you do this tour on one of your first days in Hoi An as my husband and I tomorrow are going to go out and have some more of the great foods we tasted on the tour tomorrow! It is well worth the price of the tour and a must-do for anyone who is visiting Hoi An!

Visited February 2014
“A fantastic introduction to Hoi An - and the food!”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Neville and the team were delightful. We did this tour on our first day Hoi An and it was a great way to experience the culture, town and food. Without local recommendation I would of been too cautious to try the street food - but some of the best delicacies were found on the street! Not only did Neville know the Hoi An food - but he was more than happy to recommend any other local secrets - from jewellery to massage to tailor. Do not miss a trip to Hoi An without this tour. What a treat!