“A Travel Foodie's Dream”

The Original Taste of Hoi An
Ranked #3 of 82 Food & Drink in Hoi An
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We share Hoi An’s best kept food secrets. The Ancient Town of Hoi An is just bursting with interesting and delicious Vietnamese dishes each with its own unique cultural profile; however for one reason or another much of this food remains anonymous and many visitors miss the opportunity to experience this tantalizing world of unique flavors. The aim of our tour is to provide an opportunity to unlock your adventurous culinary spirit and experience the epicurean delights of Hoi An.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
NYC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A Travel Foodie's Dream”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I am a big fan of "adventurous eating" but the biggest problem is that I rarely know what I am eating when I do it! I was thrilled when I found this tour so my husband and I could get a better overview of the best things to try in Vietnamese (and Hoi An) cuisine. Though I had tasted some of these foods over our past week of traveling in Vietnam, I had no idea what they were. Neville is a great guide who is so passionate about the foods of Hoi An and the locals. Everywhere he goes he is welcomed enthusiastically by merchants who he and his wife support through the tour. He explains why each food is important to the Vietnamese people and their culture and as you travel the market samples appear for your to enjoy as you learn! Neville also will give you great suggestions on different local restaurants to try, optometrists, tailors, ect… Suggest that you do this tour on one of your first days in Hoi An as my husband and I tomorrow are going to go out and have some more of the great foods we tasted on the tour tomorrow! It is well worth the price of the tour and a must-do for anyone who is visiting Hoi An!

Visited February 2014

“A fantastic introduction to Hoi An - and the food!”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Neville and the team were delightful. We did this tour on our first day Hoi An and it was a great way to experience the culture, town and food. Without local recommendation I would of been too cautious to try the street food - but some of the best delicacies were found on the street! Not only did Neville know the Hoi An food - but he was more than happy to recommend any other local secrets - from jewellery to massage to tailor. Do not miss a trip to Hoi An without this tour. What a treat!

Dorset, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“You must do this tour”
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

We are lucky that our travel agent, Original Travel, are so good that they insisted that we take this tour. Neville Dean is a charismatic figure who is ably assisted by the charming Sen who speaks very good English and would be more than capable of taking the tour herself. Neville gives a wonderful and amusing talk on the various dishes which we then tasted over a period of several ours. Almost every one was truly fresh and delicious but more than that he gave us real insight into the people and culture of Vietnam and Hoi An - not to mention invaluable advice as to where to eat and shop in Hoi An.It has made a big difference to the enjoyment of our holiday not just in Hoi An but in Vietnam generally. I could not recommend this highly enough.

Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“We would have taken this tour every day if we could...”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I've never posted a review on TripAdvisor before - but this was reason enough. Four of us booked (almost too late) one of the last tours before the Tet holiday and we feel very fortunate that we did. We took the January 26th tour. Neville arrived promptly at our hotel and ushered us a few blocks by private car to the beginning of our tour. Throughout the five hour tour, Neville showed us that Vietnamese food is one of the world's great cuisines and that the Vietnamese people are foodies at heart. You shouldn't be fearful of street food here, but rather go out there and eat on your feet! He is a great storyteller and you can see the passion he has for Hoi An, its people, and the food. The $60 price tag is well worth it as you will taste over 40 dishes on your tour, plus you leave with a "dummies" guide to ordering certain dishes you taste on the tour. If your ever in Hoi An, make this tour your first item and you'll eat well - and cheaply for the rest of your stay.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Andrew H
Calgary AB Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Best Tour in HoiAn”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I'd read all the positive comments about this tour on trip advisor and knew we had to book it. We were the first to be picked up and you can tell right away how extremelly enthusiastic Neville is. He willingly shares all his knowledge about Vietnam's culture and their food and is such a wonderful host. He and his team took us to the markets, street vendors and restaurants where we were able to taste so many dishes that we would never have tried otherwise.
He also was very generous in giving us recommendations about other restaurants/shops/tours, etc.
Thank you Neville and Colleen for the wonderful Vietnamese culinary experience we will never forget.

Visited January 2014