“For the chefs in all of us....”

Green Bamboo Cooking School & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 84 Food & Drink in Hoi An
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Coolamon, New South Wales, Australia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“For the chefs in all of us....”
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start? We had such an amazing day. It is nice to begin with selecting your ingredients from the market and getting to talk to the stall holders rather than going to the supermarket and selecting questionable freshness of meat, fish and vegetables. We not only learnt how to cook our selected dishes but all in the class and got to eat them too. Make sure you ask for small portions when dishing them up because by the time you get to 9 like our group you are bursting at the seams.
Van is so lovely and accommodating, a truly beautiful soul and will answer any questions you have.
This course is a must for anyone, I must admit I an quite picky with food and generally just the name of it or the list of ingredients can turn me off but I tried all 9 dishes and loved them.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Haines Junction, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Excellent cooking course!”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I am pretty fussy about cooking classes as there are lots of 'tourist' courses out there. I wanted to learn to cook authentic food. Ms. Van does an excellent job. We had a good tour of the market and then went back to her house for a very excellent and well organized cooking course. The format is different then most places- you select a dish from a long list of options and learn to cook that dish. You also though are able to learn about the other dishes that each participant has chosen in the class. And you get to eat all the other dishes too! Ms Van has also been wonderful with follow up- I have had questions since I have come home and she is more then happy to respond by email. Highly recommend this cooking experience!!

Visited October 2013
Dublin, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent Day! A MUST DO!!”
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend did the course with Van and it has been the best day of our few months travelling Asia! She picked us up from our hotel at 8.15am we did the short drive to the market with everyone, and picked our dish from a menu along the way. The market is an amazing experience Van explains the traditional Vietnamese food and we got to taste a few different things too. The vegtables, herbs, fish and meat on display is so fresh. After getting all our ingredients we went to a cafe for a Vietnanese coffee and got to know each other a bit better. Once back in Vans kitchen we all started preparing our dishes. You get to take turns cooking and taste each dish as it is ready each dish was as mouthwatering good as the last such a great opportunity to try different Vietnanese dishes. Van has brilliant English which makes her easy to follow and she really is a fountain of knowledge we learned so much! Her charming personality shines through and she really makes the entire experience unforgettable. After the dishes she has a small surprise including her goodie bag which I won't spoil!! I can't reccomend this cooking class enough to everyone from beginner to advanced it is a truly wonderful experience and I can't thank Van enough for making this day so special!

Visited November 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Such a delightfully tasty experience!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

What can I say that hasn't already been said? I sent Van an email at the last minute and she was able to accommodate me, which was fantastic because this was easily one of the highlights of my month-long trip through Vietnam. I was picked up from my hotel in the morning, along with the rest of the class. Each person picks a dish to cook (no duplications!) and we were off to the market to pick up the ingredients. Van explained things as we walked through the veggie market and the wet market. Once all the shopping was done (as well as a stop for traditional Vietnamese coffee), we went back to Van's place to begin the cooking. Everyone is responsible for their own dish from start to finish, but don't let this intimidate you! Van and her helpers are there to help you at every step of the way. Unlike other classes where you cook and eat at the end, the Green Bamboo class has you eating throughout the day (which is great so that people don't get restless or too hungry). Each person cooks then plates their dish. Everyone tries it as soon as it's ready and then it's on to the next dish. Drinks (pop and beer) are also available for purchase and water was free. It was such a great experience. Van is super nice, accommodating and very knowledgeable. Her recipes are easy to follow, despite some dishes being more complex than others. I came away with a new appreciation for Vietnamese cuisine.

My group was fantastic. As a solo traveler, I'm always a little wary about joining classes like this, but everyone was so open that it felt like we were one giant group of friends. I even ran into some classmates/friends at a restaurant the following night and spent time with them again at the airport, as we were on the same flight to Ho Chi Minh City. I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend the day!

This is a must for anyone visiting Hoi An...just don't plan to eat anything for dinner.

Visited October 2013
Melbourne, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“The real deal”
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Having done Red Bridge last year we found Van's cooking class to be so much more fun, informative and authentic. Also much, much better value. You choose your own dish from a list of 50+ and buy the ingredients in the market with the group. Back at Van's lovely house we prepare our own dish, but then cook (and eat) each in turn, so you learn how all the dishes are made and eat each one. We finished at 3.45pm, so it is a long day. Van buys the best ingredients and takes no short cuts. Despite doing this nearly every day she is fresh and enthusiastic. Don't miss it.

Visited November 2013