“Highlight of Vietnam”

Green Bamboo Cooking School & Cafe
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Reviewed May 30, 2013

There are so many cooking school options in Hoi An that we weren't sure how we were going to pick. We were very happy we chose to go with Van.

My girlfriend and I both really enjoyed Vietnamese cuisine and so the course was a highlight of our trip.

Cooking: We were at first a little worried that we were only going to be cooking one dish each - as other courses you cook 3-5 dishes each. While you may not get to cook each dish, you get a range of dishes that you might not have picked in the first place and you also get to help prep. It was very nice being able to have Van's instruction on your specific dish as well as see and hear any comments she had for the current dish / the way it was being cooked (e.g. waiting for bubbles to appear on bamboo sticks when dunking them in oil)

Logistics: The class is lead by Van and she has two helpers prepping and cleaning dishes as needed. The class is situated around an island in the center of the kitchen which provides for a more intimate environment but there is enough space that you're not intimate with the people on either side!

Spoiler: If you want to see some pictures, we wrote a more detailed version of the day on our blog http://kmoneyandjhoney.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/sedated-whats-satiated/

Write a ReviewReviews (1,273)
All reviews
in 58 reviews
"great cook"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

This really was our favourite day in Hoi An. We were collected by Van from our hotel at 8am and taken on a tour of the market to collect our ingredients for the day. Our group had 6 people in which is smaller than usual but it was brilliant. The food we made was incredible, we tasted every dish and was full to the brim when we left. I really can't write enough to give this day justice you have to try it for yourself. Don't worry if cooking isn't a strong point for you Van is excellent and helps you with everything!! We had an awesome day!

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

This cooking course was brilliant-I can not encourage people enough to have a go! We went as a group of 4 people and had a great time. We started in the market which was really informative, then had a drink and went back to cool up a storm. The food we made and tasted was the best we have had in the whole of Vietnam. My only advice would be not to eat breakfast!! Five stars!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I both did Van's excellent cooking class. Husband's first ever class, does not much like to cook, but under Van's expert guidance his dish was excellent. From going to the markets to learn about a variety of foods and buy our ingredients to coming back for preparation and cooking..all worked like clockwork. We not only got to learn how to prepare our own dishes but others as well. We tasted all the meals the group made... everyone's was excellent. Cool towels and beers were also very much appreciated. Fantastic class and wonderful teacher.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I doubt that I can reproduce the dishes that we learn that day since I am not very good in this department but this was one of the best experience I have on the Vietnam trip.

There were plenty of foods for everyone as 9 of us cooked one dish each and share them around afterward. It was very easy going. Van, the teacher is brilliant and makes us feel at home. The whole thing is well run and a must if you are into food and visit Hoi an.

A tip: Van is very soft spoken person so stick near her when you visit the market if you want to hear her explanation.