“Unique cooking-class experience”

Hoi An Philong Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #97 of 243 Tours in Hoi An
More attraction details
Owner description: Hoi An Philong Tours is run by Mr.Toan Philong. We arrange the budget Vietnam Package Trips & We also arrange the Ecotours in Hoi An city, Vietnam.We have lots of tourist service.Children under 6 year old:free. Director :Mr.Toan
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We actually booked this class just through a random travel agency in Hoi An without many expectations other than a 3 vegetarian dish lesson at a restaurant. The tour began with Mr. Toan picking us up at our hotel and cycling down to the market to pick up some fresh ingredients. We were pleasantly surprised that he spoke fantastic English and that he'd be our guide and interpreter (as the chef spoke little english). We ended up being a group of two (my girlfriend and I) and would therefore not be going to the restaurant to cook but a little ways out of the city. We were a little skeptical, especially when we turned up at a regular looking house - his house in fact. His wife was the chef and their 'kitchen' was a front room of the house overlooking their small garden out front.

All our anxieties that this may not be a professionally run class disappeared when it was obvious that we were getting so much more out of it - a local business owner had just welcomed us into his home and immediately made us to feel like part of the family! We made 3 dishes (all made especially vegetarian/vegan for us) - Banh Xeo (Vietnamese pancake), fried spring rolls, and the famous local dish: Quang noodles - which was excellent!

We were shown what to do but never felt that we just spectators as all the chopping, cooking, stirring, plating, and of course eating we did ourselves. After each dish, we were meant to write down all the ingredients and steps we took to prepare as a way to reinforce what we just did plus to have a copy of the recipe!

The lesson was meant to be a 4-hour day, however we ended up really taking our time and enjoying each dish and chatting that we ended up in the kitchen for 6 hours!!

All in all it was a great course, great chef, great guide and totally recommended!

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Travelled with My Mom; Planned for a 5D4N trip; 2 days in Hoi An and 2 days in Danang. Unfortunately, we missed our flights and supposed to reach in the morning. Ended Up reroute to Ho Chi Minh to Danang. Mr Philong called me to confirm night's flight and actually waited for me at the airport 9pm+ through and forth hotel transfer at USD15 each only! The driver was punctual and helped us carried the luggage.
He has given us some tips on how to go abt in Ancient Town, tips to watch out, etc.
I've pre-booked him for a BanaHill tour on 3rd day which he has sub to Mr. Hai to bring us up. Mr. Hai is passionate and caring tour guide. Good English. The place was good to visit on 2014 but not now, many things are not built up yet. I was not told - the brochure looks good without stating it's not done yet. Mr Hai brought us to Apsara Restaurant which I've aimed to go there already. Food was superb!! He recommended to go Apsara as the food on BaNahill sucks! He even brought us a short 15 mins free tour to Han Market for sightseeing. Cool.
Before our last night in Danang, Mr Philong called to confirm ride that his driver will pick us up. It's a relief as we 2 girls are traveling alone!
The driver Mr. To, was very careful in driving too. He has fetched us to airport on our last day too. Dont worry, they are very professional and reliable! Highly recommended.
P.S. It would be a great plus to provide us an official receipt :)

1  Thank Sbe2
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Hired Philong for all tours around Hue and Hoi An and for both, the guides were very efficient and delivered on promised with a preference for the guide covering the "big four" in one day 500km. Highly recommanded with a car though.
Discovered new sites on the way along. China beach is for proficient surfers only.
Caves are magnificent and huge;
unforgetable tour with many memories with good food and good souvenirs.
Thank you for bringing me alive !

Reviewed December 8, 2011

Booked this tour last minute and Philong personally accompanied us (family with 2 chn, 16, & 12) with his wife and assistant. Travelled by local boat along the river and visited woodcarving, local mattress weaving and pottery villages. This enabled a closeup and hands-on experience of village life and local craft production. Philong was very attentive, informative and we found this a very peaceful morning. We gained an insight and understanding of Hoi An life and was good to get away from the tourist traps for a few hours. Would thorougly recommend this no-fuss tour. Good value tour with local treats for morning tea!

2  Thank Wanitawonder
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Mr Toan organised my Visa extension and taxi and flight to Saigon. It was all completed in less than half day, but what impressed me was his follow up in making sure that he personally delivered everything back to me even though it meant going out of his way to .meet me at a location I was staying at that was some distance away..
Good on you