“Thank you Jimmy Easyrider”

Thanh Ha Pottery Village
Ranked #46 of 123 things to do in Hoi An
Melbourne, Australia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Thank you Jimmy Easyrider”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We had set out from our hotel to find the Thanh Ha pottery village but after wandering about what was a cute fishing village I announced that I thought we were lost and we wouldn't be able to find the pottery. At this a local stopped and said "pottery" and set off waving his hand in the direction he was now striding. We followed a little nervously. We need not have bothered.

Our guide was "Jimmy Easyrider" he smilingly told us making the revving sounds and gestures of cranking up a motor bike! The village was an eye opener. We got to try but not too successfully as an old Viet grandmother worked the potters wheel with her foot. Jimmy took us to see a pottery Sydney Opera House!, kilns being fired, pots being mass produced, clay being prepared for working it was a very thorough tour.

We then left the village and went to his house were he proudly showed us the alter in honour of his mother and father. At this point we negotiated a trip back to Hoi An by boat. He took a stick and wrote 300,000 dong (about $15!), I countered with 200,000: we settled on 250,000. We walked on, met the skipper, donned floaties and climbed aboard. The trip back was worth every dong as we saw life on the river.

Jimmy just smiled. We realised he had four words of English:"Pottery" "Jimmy" "Easyrider" and a word that sounded like "boat"!

At the dock in Hoi An I gave him the 300,000 and will never forget the smile. Two hours of tour and boat ride for $7.50 per head. Make sure you visit the pottery village but make especially sure you say g'day to Jimmy Easyrider

Visited November 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Vietnamese first
Turangi, New Zealand
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Worth a look”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Information given was it was 3 kilometres from Hoi An. I think more like 5 kilometres we had hired a motor scooter for the day which is easiest way to get there. A myriad of potters selling some nice pottery. It was amazing watching a 90 year old hunched down still making items with a man standing in front of her turning the potting wheel with his foot There is an entry fee and you get a small gift from one of the potters

Visited September 2013
HCMC
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“A challenge!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

What could be more wonderful than a pottery made by myself!
I used to think that it was very easy to make those pottery. It was not until I came here, I realized how hard and difficult in making those simple things.
First we were shown the complete beautiful pottery made by the artist. Then we could give it a try if we wanted to. I tried and my finished product was a mess.
I admired the pottery artist very much because of their skillfulness and their dedication to produce such a wonderful thing.
Thanh Ha pottery village and those people should be remained and developed.

Visited November 2012
The Netherlands
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Childrens village”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The village is stimulated by the governement to keep the hand work going. You walk around the town with friendly people. Stop at one of the shops were you are shown how the pottery is made. You can give it a try yourself. It is not that easy.
The items made are not really used anymore in modern life so I'm afraid they do not sell a lot.
During the visit we receive a pottery animal which turned out to be a whistle, it looked very basic we thanked but have no clue what to do with it when back home???

Visited August 2013
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice vilage”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

A bit a a tourist trap. You are expected to buy. We went to one merchant where she powered the wheel with her foot while her grandmother made pottery. That was interesting.

Visited May 2013