“If you want to party, step this way! ”
Review of Sunflower Hotel

Sunflower Hotel
Ranked #171 of 286 Hoi An B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I'll start by saying this place was a bad choice for me. I did my 'let's get drunk every night and try and hump Swedish girls' backpacking in my early twenties and at 36 this place was not right for me. At 20 I'd have loved it, from the late night screaming as drunken girls return from bars to the couple having a night of passion in the bunk bed on the other side of my dorm!

The place itself is fine enough, 15 min walk to old town and my dorm room was clean and I found the staff helpful, but their failure to challenge drunken behaviour at 3am in the morning is unacceptable in my view.

So if you're early twenties and looking for fun, this might be for you. If not...... Steer clear.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BringBackBuck8

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with my girlfriend. We had a private room with AC and a TV. All in all the room was fine from a cleanliness perspective. The sheets could have been a little cleaner and the towels had been well used. The location of the hotel isn't great at all. It's half way between the beach and the main town of Hoi An - 3 KMs either direction. The breakfast was average but I only had it for one of the days - as others have mentioned, the place is full of rats. I didn't see any inside the hotel itself but the surrounding area and even the town itself was full of them. Most likely this is due to the river. The staff were fine, not overly helpful but I can totally understand why having met "some" of their clientele. This place is unbelievably noisy. Every noise echoes down the corridor and seems to multiply the volume. Our room was on the second floor right at the top of the stairs, there's no elevator so you hear every conversation as people get to their rooms. It doesn't help when you have groups of people running around the place at 4 AM screaming (each trying to be louder than the last) or drunken girlfriend's sitting on the stairs screaming into their iPhones in the middle of the night at their boyfriends back home. We are in our mid 20, love to drink, like to party but the ignorance of 18 year "backpackers" staying here made it a difficult few days. I understand this is known as a party hostel but if you value your sleep at all, i'd recommend finding somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights and ended up travelling the rest of Vietnam with the people I met here! Great for socialising, the pool area is good and the breakfast is brilliant! Such a variety. The staff at first seemed hostile you warm to them as they do to you. The 6 bed dorms are pretty big and clean (apart from a pair of underpants on the balcony!). The staff messed up my bus booking to Nha Trang but it was all sorted in the end. Other than that, great for a younger crowd and single travellers who want to meet people

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Awesome... just awesome

Beds- comfy

Air con - remote in room

TV in room

Breakfast - included and FANTASTIC!!!

Wifi - very quick for downloads.

Staff - the best i've experienced, fun and banter friendly

Hoi An - my fav place in Vietnam, great night out, fantastic custom-made clothes/shoes services.

Perhaps a tad expensive but the breakfast more than makes up for it.... a perfect hostel in my opinion.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

We had booked this hostel on recommendation.

We booked a four bed private room. On arrival we were supposed to be met by a pick up service. Unfortunately they had sent someone at 7am when we had advised that we were leaving Hue at 9am so had a 50 minute walk there.

When we did get there the guy on the desk was apologetic and checked us in...but the room was wrong they tried to book us into a normal dorm. Our friends that booked the previous day did the exact same booking with no hassle and even had a TV! The guy sorted it and promised us a welcome drink when we had showered. We had no towels in the room which were supposed to be included. We went to the reception to ask for towels and they were given to us.

The room was large and the mattresses were comfy. My duvet had mould in, but given the number of complaints already and the fact we were tired from the walk I just wanted to get on with it.

The pool was cold but nice, until some drunken idiots decided to make it a place to compete at bombs. Fine if their splash hadn't soaked everyone on the sun-beds!

The restaurant and bar staff were miserable and impolite. In their defence, they spent most their time trying to reign in the drunkards. The drinks were overpriced and the bar staff had a military operation to stop any outside alcohol coming in. It seems to be against the point of a hostel, but there was cheap beer next door should you get thirsty.

The location was a 10-20 minute walk to the bars/old town and a taxi ride to the beach. The location was good and the bars do a bike taxi if you can't be bothered to walk. There is a really good restaurant across the road, Solo.

The noise went on until 10pm when you get kicked out of the bar. So to those who were complaining about lack of sleep, they've got this covered.

It wasn't the worst place I've stayed it wasn't the best. It was ok and the receptionist guy was really helpful.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Sunflower Hotel whist travelling Vietnam with my friend.

We decided to stay at the Sunflower hotel as it was cheap and the location was perfect.

I was really nervous about staying here after reading all the bad reviews but we were pleasantly surprised!

The hotel collected us from the bus stop promptly and took us back to the hotel free of charge.

The hotel is in a great location, about a 10min walk to the town and a 15min cycle ride to the beaches. Bike hire is $1 a day and is right outside the hotel.

We paid to have a private room which had two double beds and air con! The room was clean and comfortable. It was made tidy each day ie no sheets were changed but we were given clean towels.

The cleaning staff never walked into our room without being invited like some other people had said and one day we asked for them to come back later which they did graciously.

The hotel staff were all friendly and polite which is all we needed.

The breakfast was really good with lots of options to choose from.

We saw no signs of any rats whilst we stayed here. The hotel was clean throughout.

Wifi in the rooms was good, a little slow but I sat in the hallway under the router and had a perfect video call home.

The majority of guests here are below the age of 27! But it is a hostel after all. We weren't kept awake by noise but you are staying in a hostel so some drunken people coming in late is again to be expected! But not a fault of the hotels!

Do be aware that you can only pay for your stay in cash! They don't except credit or debit cards!

Overall we were very pleased with the Sunflower hotel. And I would recommend staying here if you are on a budget.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The reviews for this hotel are fairly mixed. This is a place for younger backpackers but I found the dormitories were quiet and generally other travelers were respectful if someone was sleeping.

Just a short walk to town and a few bars selling the local 'Bia' between 3K - 5K Dong round the corner.

Sheets were a bit grubby when I arrived but there was no issue when I asked for new ones.

Breakfast was huge, fresh and a vast choice.

Staff were friendly although sometimes overwhelmed by the amount of people moving through. You will need a little bit of patience and give yourself more time when you check out.

Free shuttle to the open bus or bus station is a nice touch. Give them plenty of warning though as last minute requests are often forgotten or they are suddenly unavailable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo