“Good experience and some nice pics”

Hoi An Photo Day Tours & Workshop
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hoi An Photo tour is now strong of over 8 years of experience. For the ones who wish to capture the real Vietnam in non touristy areas and/or learn more about photography, this tour is made for you. Led by a professional photographer, the tour takes you to villages where no other tourists can be seen. The tour includes a photography workshop to learn about all your camera settings, and a composition workshop to work on one's creativity. Capture an amazing sunrise in a fishing village, or rice farmers at sunset, Hoi An Photo Tour is the best way to get a very close up view on Vietnam!Get your best photos of Vietnam and improve your photography skills!
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed this trip and our experience resulted in some fantastic photographs. Etienne's relationship with the local people enables you to get close to them and learn more about their homes, workplaces and lives in Hoi An. However, there are a few things I feel need to be mentioned to give Etienne some constructive feedback for future classes:

I understand that there are people of many different levels and abilities taking part on this tour but I did feel quite sorry for the attendees with little or no knowledge of the basic functions of their cameras. I just about know the basics regarding my DSLR camera and even I struggled to keep up the the 15 minute briefing at the beginning of the day. I feel there was too much information given in such a short space of time. Maybe this could have been explained in smaller bursts of information and recommended aperture sizes, ISO settings etc. to be advised as the morning went on.

I feel it would have been more beneficial if Etienne was more pro active in giving advice on our photographs taken during the trip (improvements on composition, lighting etc) rather than wandering around taking photos with his own camera and neglecting to check how we were getting on.

I felt disappointed when Etienne made comments such as 'The light would have been much better if we had been here half an hour ago' (referring to the daylight 1 hour into the trip). We were working to his schedule so it should have been planned better if this was the case.

1  Thank SarahLeBart
Niente-hoi-an, Owner at Hoi An Photo Day Tours & Workshop, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Hello Sarah, and thanks for your honest feedback.

I understand that the camera settings workshop is happening quite fast at the moment, as this is the end of winter and the sun is rising earlier. But I do believe that I spend time with each student while on location making sure they understand their camera settings. Of course 15 minutes is not enough for beginners to understand, so I also focus on that for the rest of the tour.

About the quality of the light, we are taking the first boat available to go to the village, so there is no way we can get there earlier. And if I make such comments, it is merely for people to understand the quality of light needed for great photos, not to make people feel disappointed of course.

There are newer reviews for Hoi An Photo Day Tours & Workshop

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Found out about this while looking for a tour at the heaven and earth tour agency when I noticed their pamphlet there. Met up with the owner Etienna at his studio that evening and learned more about his tours.

He is really great guy who has been in Hoi An so knows the best places for photography and knows how to impart great lessons to people who joins his workshops.

Each workshop is less than a day, he offers 3 types of workshop. The sunrise tour, the sunset tour and the personal tour.

In the sunrise tour, he will take you outside of Hoi an where you will visit the many villages and the working lives of the people of Hoi An. If you're new to photography and had just bought a DSLR or any camera for this vacation, he will spend time to teach you how to use it and ensure you know what you are doing. This is the one I took as it was the only one available at the time.

The tour was very good as the places he took me aren't the usual tourist traps you see being doled by tour agencies in Hoi An where everyone is always trying to sell you something. The places we visited are the places you definitely can feel the real charm and the lives of the people of Hoi An.

I would recommend anyone who has a love for photography to give this tour a try even if you are a season veteran because he knows exactly what are the places we are looking to get. Plus the knowledge imparted is worth the time.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Etienne is very friendly and approachable, and the tour lived up to its reputation. Camera information is informed and concise, and tips to create better images are equally valuable. Etienne also introduced us to the awesomeness that is Vietnamese coffee! The Ferry rides are fun, and provide a good opportunity to ask for more advice, which is freely and cheerfully offered. Our day offered us poor weather, and a poor catch for the local fisherman, however, there was still an overwhelming amount of opportunities to capture some amazing shots. The fish sauce factory and visit to a local family provide particularly fruitful environments for image making. The bicycle ride home was fun, and Etienne invited everyone to stay around for tea and a de-briefing/social chat after the tour finished. Well worth getting up in the morning for, and worth doing more than once.

1  Thank Shadowsounds
Reviewed January 18, 2014

If you like taking photos but have no idea how your camera works which I did you will not be disappointed. Etienne works a crowd with an energy that gets your lens twitching. He relates to the locals by not only speaking Vietnamese fluently but by having the same work ethic. (Hard, sincere and humourous)

Well worth the money get your ar*e out of bed and sleep when your dead

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I am a lanscape photographer and this was an opportunity to take portrait photos using AV mode on my camera for the first time. We were able to take photos of people going about their daily life from fishing to village life. Etienne taught the basics over coffee then pointed out you need to smile and be friendly and locals will allow you to take photos of them. Using light was also very high on his list of things to look for. A great way to see the mooring in Hoi An