“Get to see how the locals live”

Hoi An Photo Day Tours & Workshop
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hoi An Photo tour is now strong of over 8 years of experience. For the ones who wish to capture the real Vietnam in non touristy areas and/or learn more about photography, this tour is made for you. Led by a professional photographer, the tour takes you to villages where no other tourists can be seen. The tour includes a photography workshop to learn about all your camera settings, and a composition workshop to work on one's creativity. Capture an amazing sunrise in a fishing village, or rice farmers at sunset, Hoi An Photo Tour is the best way to get a very close up view on Vietnam!Get your best photos of Vietnam and improve your photography skills!
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We did the sunrise tour this morning, and it was fabulous despite a 5am start. Peter the guide gives many helpful hints about how to take the best shots. However, the real highlight of this tour is going by local ferry to a fishing village that tourists don't go to. The hustle and bustle of daily life in Vietnam is fascinating. The people and the experience were outstanding. A must do when in Hoi An

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I took the sunrise tour mid-July. Etienne was a great guide and teacher. From the email conversation I had with him prior to going to Vietnam, and whilst there, everything was very good and efficient. Myself and another guy were staying in Danang and had no problem with the pickup or drop off to out hotel (at a small supplement).

The tour was fun and gave an opportunity to not only learn about camera settings but also to see a part of Vietnam away from the normal tourist sights.

Would highly recommend and look forward to booking a photo tour again at my next visit.

Keep up the good work guys.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

It looks like a great tour---if he actually shows up. We had agreed upon a date, time and location, and he did not show. I was there 10 minutes early, and waited 15 minutes past the agreed upon time. No follow-through--nothing. I would not recommend this tour, because of the lack of respect for other people's time.

Slow to answer emails---I actually should have known better, however, based on the positive reviews, I thought I would give it a try. My mistake, and I will not give it another try.

1  Thank Andrew T
Niente-hoi-an, Owner at Hoi An Photo Day Tours & Workshop, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Hello Andrew, I am sorry to read this review but I cannot find any record of you in my files. I had an Andrew on July 11 for a sunrise tour which happened without problem. When were you booked for the tour?

To be honest we are having between 20 and 40 people coming in the tours every week, and it already happened that there was a mistake with the hotel name or something else. But I do not have a record of you.

Thanks for letting me know.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

After reading about this tour on TA, we were so excited. We were, however dissappointed.

We did the sunrise tour and ended up being in a group of 20 people, which is WAY to many if you want to get any one-on-one help with your camera. We spent ALOT of time sitting around talking at 2 different restaurants and also in the street.

When we did take pictures, we did get the chance to take some nice pictures on a boat, and some pictures at the fisherman's market. Unfortunately, the low-light picture practice was at a facility that had low-lit rooms with huge amounts of light streaming in at random places making low light pictures unpractical.

Finally, the website says you can do this tour with any kind of camera. While that is true, you probably won't have fun without an SLR. My wife tried to ask for help and the tour guide told her that with a "point-and-click" she couldn't really do anything. That was it.

You may enjoy this tour if the group size is small AND you have an SLR camera. I might give this one a pass and do one of the many other activities in Hoi An

1  Thank MrBunnsBangkok
Etienne-boss, Owner at Hoi An Photo Day Tours & Workshop, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Hello Mr. BunnsBangkok,
I am surprised to read your review with so much negativity in it. Firstly, I am very surprised to read that you were in a group with 20 people. I wonder how is that possible given that our car we use in the morning to pick up people is a 12 seat car....

When we sit in a cafe (not restaurant) we do that for 20 minutes to allow everyone to learn about camera settings so everyone can enjoy themselves. 20 minutes to learn about camera settings isn't too long in my opinion, and is really needed for most people participating the tour. Also, there is nothing much I could do about the low light facility: there are rooms with a lot of light, and some with less light, I guess you could have moved around to find a suitable location, as everyone in the tour does.

Lastly, it is not our way of doing things to tell people that they cannot do anything with a point and shoot. We have been teaching people with iPhones and any kind of cameras, you can always be creative if you want to. We were probably talking about the camera settings, not the composition part.

I understand that in some groups, there are people with different levels in photography. We are trying to let the experienced people free and spend more time with the beginners. For the people learning, which is most people, we do need to talk and explain. I hope you can understand that. Anyway, I am sorry of the tour disappointed you, but I still do not understand why you are mentioning a group of 20 people when that is clearly impossible.

Thanks.