“Sensational crab meal”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
sydney
“Sensational crab meal”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We went here on reccomandation from a hoi an food tour and we were not disappointed.
We ordered 2 crabs in tamarind sauce which were spectacular and fresh prawns grilled.
It's not cheap came to $80 for 1.5 kg live crab and 1kg of fresh prawn with morning glory and 1 large beer. The food was good and would happily go back.
The next night we went to Tuyet on the same reccomandation and were disappointed.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank judejude

• Korean first
“If you haven't had fried crab with tamarind sauce, you've never had fried crab”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Yes, I went here b/c Anthony Bourdain went here. But you know what, he went here for a reason. The friend crab with tamarind sauce is the single best thing I've put in my mouth in the 6 weeks I've been in Asia. The chef/owner lets you take a look in the kitchen, which I amazed to say was cleaner than kitchens I've seen in America. My crab was alive when I ordered it and delicious when it got to my table. The fried garlic prawns were also delicious. The owner even cracked the crab and peeled some of the prawns for me. The only knock was that the grilled calamari, while tasty, was a little in the rubbery side. For dessert I had the rest of the tamarind sauce with a baguette. Just awesome. The place is also a little pricey as the 3 dishes and a beer cost me $40 US. But it was well worth it. I'd recommend this place to anybody that is in Hoi An.

• Visited June 2013
Hoi An, Vietnam
“The best hidden gem in Hoi An”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Completely away from the area of restaurants in the city. We showed up around 9pm and the restaurant was completely empty. Not sure whether they were closed or not we walked in to see if anyone was there. Sure enough a kind Vietnamese woman showed us to a table. After giving us the small menu, we didn't see what were expecting. We had heard that the crab with tamarind sauce was the best there but it wasn't on the menu. So, we asked our server and she said it was the best and that we could order it. She brought out to live lobsters and weighed them in front of us and quoted the price. We paid 780 000 dong for 1.2 kg of crab. When the food was ready, our server brought it out with steamed rice. It looked amazing but kind of intimidating since none of us knew how to properly de-shell crab. Without even asking our server stood at our table and began cracking the crab for us. She went through all 1.2 kg of crab while we ate it. Talk about service. One of the most unique meal experiences I've ever had. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank Rob B
Venice, CA
“One of our best meals in Vietnam!”
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We found Thi Nhan via Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations - it's a restaurant seemingly right next to the owners home on the road back to town from Cua Dai Beach. We rode our bikes up around 5pm and were the only people there. The woman working took us into the back kitchen to pick out our dinner - there was a bucket of live crabs and they price them based on size. After choosing a small/medium sized one for 400,000 VND we weren't sure what we were getting ourselves into. She cooked them in up and also sautéed some morning glory with fresh garlic, and we were in heaven. For $20 US you could never eat like this in the states, even if it's a bit more expensive than your average meal in Vietnam. A must try for an off-the-beaten-path experience!

georgetown
“Following the footsteps of Anthony Bourdain to Thi Nhan in Hoi An.”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Located on the main road along the route to Cua Dai Beach, you will easily find this restaurant. English menu is available, but it is best to visit the kitchen to choose the seafood that is fresh and make your own selection which can be weighed on the spot.

If you are lucky, the friendly owner and cook will provide you a free cooking lesson. I ordered crab cooked with tamarind sauce and grilled shrimp. If you have a party of 4 persons, consider to choose the ultimate set meal with 5 dishes of clams, shrimp, fish, crab and squid for $80(without drinks) which is a infinitely better deal. Prices are definitely considered relatively high for Vietnam but not higher than any live seafood restaurant in Hoi An or on Cua Dai Beach. Crab with roe 300K($15) and grilled prawns 150K. Seafood crab and shrimp prices range from 300 to 400K per kg which is the standard in Hoi An. Drinks are priced normally as in any other establishment.

Visit this restaurant if you are a fan of Anthony Bourdain, just to experience exactly what he was raving about and understand the amazing reviews of NY Times to form your own conclusion.

• Visited May 2012