“Through Land and Culture on Two Wheels”
Review of Phat Tire Ventures

and up
Bike Tour to My Son Sanctuary from Hoi An
Ranked #25 of 159 Outdoor Activities in Hoi An
More attraction details
Owner description: Phat Tire Ventures Vietnam (PTV) is the longest running adventure sports outfitter in Vietnam specializing in mountain biking, white water rafting, trekking, rock climbing and canyoning. We have offices in both Dalat and Hoi An.
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I enjoy bike riding so when my family and I went to Hoi An, Vietnam for our spring break I planned a biking tour with Phat Tire. The "Journey to the Past" tour seemed like the best choice as it was around five hours maybe 25km with three breaks at different villages. Our guide Ting-ting gave us enough interesting information about Vietnamsese culture and life that my 13 year old was paying attention the entire time. Our breaks were at a family owned pottery workshop where we made a few clay pots, a family run farm were we learned about Vietnamese farming techniques and cooked some really fresh lunch after sampling fresh garden herbs. The last stop was at a lantern making factory where we learned how to make the colorful lanterns that you see hanging around Hoi An.   Even though everyone in the group was told we used too much glue, we all rode away with a great keepsake lantern. The actual riding paths were pancake-flat and easy to ride for my 15 year old who isn't good at riding. We all agreed that the scenery was better than the postcards. The biggest challenge was riding through town because the traffic was crazy, I wouldn't recomend this trip if your kids were younger than 11. It would have been nice if the bikes were ready when we were there, as we arranged this trip two weeks in advance and paid US $50 per person. Overall it was a good trip which  showed Vietnamese culture and everyone in my family agreed they would do it again.

6  Thank MWBollom
in 9 reviews
"hai van pass"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed March 25, 2012

We went with PTV on their Marble Mountain Rappelling trips with our 2 kids and it was fantastic. Very professional outfitter with guides who are great with kids!

6  Thank johnnybidwell
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Went abseiling with my mom and we had and an excellent time. They explained everything to us and were very patient with us as we took our time rappelling down the cliffs. They even wait there so you can rappel down the first two cliffs a second time!!!! It was a great day and we had a blast!!!

7  Thank _Swiss_Girl_10
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I had 3 wonderful days touring with the the Hoi An group (Thao was a super guide) and one day from Dalat down to Nha Trang. First was the awesome trip from Hoi An to the My Son temples. We went on the back roads through small villages, rice paddies, and fishing areas. Very interesting and fun to see how locals live and work every day. The temples were truly amazing. The route generally flat. Next was the two-day excursion from Hoi An (actually started biking near Danang). The ride took up up over Hai Van pass (10k up the hill but switchbacks made it not so tough) and great views along the way of the ocean and waterfalls. Then down the hill to a nice lunch, and on through more back roads with fishing villages. We stayed at Lanc Co resort, which is 4 star but seemed rather desolate (maybe because it was off season and not too many guests); my preference would have been for a home stay or something with a more local flair but I'm sure this was the best accomodation in the area. Next day on towards Hue, we rode through many villages on backroads... this is the way to see Vietnam! Afterwards, I headed back with the bike van from Hue to HoiAn, stayed a couple more days there, and then flew from Danang to Dalat. Next day I took to the Phat Tire ride from Dalat to NhaTrang on a fairly new road. Most of the ride was down hill. It rained a bit near the highest elevations, but cleared-up as we decended to open some great views of the mountains and valleys. Take some rain gear with you. The van took me right to my hotel. I recommend Phat Tires... great people, knowledgeable and friendly, good equipment, and excellent and safe routes (avoided highway 1).

8  Thank Joe_K_US