“Ok, but a disappointment for the prize”

SAKURA Hoa Anh Dao HOIAN
Ranked #501 of 847 Restaurants in Hoi An
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The restaurant has definitely a great location on the river as well as a nice terrace, but for the prize paid there, you can have both, much better food and much better service in Hoi An.
Since there was the lunar festival, the terrace was full and although we were told, we would be seated outside as soon as someone left, that never happened (and it had been obvious, since nearly everybody outside was still studying the menu when we came) - and the same promise was given to many more customers after us and not held either.
Prizes are high for Vietnam , but the service peoplewere clearly overwhelmed with the number of customers, although the inner part of the restaurant was not even half full. So, it was quite slow and a bit chaotic. Although I took "Today's set menu" (which IMO, should be readily available, since it's TODAY'S menu!), my boyfriend, who took only a main course, was served his dish nearly 10 minutes before I got my soup! The soup was ok, though. He had already finished eating when I got my arrangements of starters, which were beautifully arranged and tasted nice. My main course, the local Cao Lau, however, was much better during lunch time in a tiny street restaurant for a mere 30'000 VD (1.5 USD). The pork was dry and the noodles quite strange. I've left it aside to safe room for the dessert "exotic fruit", i.e., two pieces of water melon.
My mango juice was ok, but my boyfriend's Mojito did not come with any limes inside and was rather tasteless - although the prize was twice as high as in other restaurants.
The view over the river, however, is breathtaking, especially during the lunar festivals when the street lamps are shut down at night and the night is lit by a sea of lanterns and candles set afloat on the river.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

After a year in Vietnam I had pho for the first time at Sakura. may be the warm asian atmosphere, may be the beautiful terrace hanging on the river..... I loved it. I also had a very good salmon with soy sauce and green pepper then I left perfectly full and happy. Outstanding service like almost everywhere in Vietnam

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Returned to this restaurant after eating here last year and was provided yet another great meal. Friendly staff arranged a fresh table on the balcony with cooling fans. Food was delicious and the service great, well worth a visit if staying in hoi an.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

We ordered lobster here the day before and they went out and got it for us from the market the folowing day. That night we had a bottle of wine on the rooftop terrrace looking out over the view over the river. Everytime our glasses were empty a waitress was their filling up our glasses for us.

The lobster was cooked full of flavour. The rest of the food was lovely too haven't got any complaints about the food or service.

We enjoy food and eat at many expensive restraurants at home, and in have done in Vietnam and we really enoyed this meal. The view from the terrace is perfect.

It was always full, and we had to reserve a table so it seems popular.

Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Worst meal we've had in Vietnam. Overpriced, over cooked & the staff all seemed to rather be somewhere else, just as we did !!! The view from upstairs was lovely, only good thing about Sakura.