“Must try, soo yummy!!!”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We loved this little gem!! Oh wow it was so amazing! Probably one of the reataurants we've been to in Vietnam. We read through some of the reviews and couldn't believe some of the bad reviewed we were seeing, yes it is 110,ooovnd which a few people said was kind of expensive, seriously guys?! That to us is $6aud pp for a full feed, that's pretty good I think especially for all that amazing food, I don't think you can get that anywhere even in the cheapy Vietnamese restaurants in Melbourne. My husband is Vietnamese and he felt it was pretty close to being authentic Vietnamese. And also the reason why the food comes out before you order anything is because they specialise in ONE dish, they don't have a menu, so for those who were confused by this, hope this clarifies. Also yes they show you how to eat the food, not in any way to push you out but to show you the best way to wrap the rolls, I know sometimes the Vietnamese can come across this way but please I don't think they would mean it in a way of wanting to push ppl out. We loved it and will be going back there. The service was fantastic, friendly!

1  Thank Malee D
Write a ReviewReviews (2,123)

Reviewed March 20, 2014

A mix between street food and a restaurant. if you like grilled pork satay, spring rolls, finger food and an new dining experience the Bale Well is the place to go. Plenty of freshly cooked food in a simple environment gives you a good flavour of local food. All for ~$20. Quite an experience.
The location is a little hard to find but worth making the effort.
A piece of advice..... don't eat before going there.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Nestled in a little alley, this gem is well worth a visit. Pork satay, spring rolls, fresh crunchy vegetables - all ready for you to wrap into rice and pancakes. Dipped into a number of sauces -delicious! And then mango or chocolate pudding, along with fruit to round off the meal. Huge portions, friendly smiles from all the servers. Truly one of my favourite places in Hoi An!

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We read about this place on lonely planet and we are so glad we went there. Its tucked away in this little alley but was definitely worth hunting for it.

The portions are huge and tasted amazing. It was nice just sitting there and not choosing anything off the menu. They gave us meat on sticks, rice paper, spring rolls, salad and a sauce to dip the rolls in.

After finishing our dinner they offered us a choice of chocolate or mango mousse and a portion of pineapple. I am a chocoholic so i of course had the chocolate mousse and it tasted amazing!

I would definitely try and get to this place for either breakfast, lunch or dinner you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I have been travelling in Vietnam and SEA for a few months and always search for authentic local experiences, especially when it comes to food. This place absolutely isn't the authentic local eatery most reviews and guide books claim it to be. There was a man on the street directing people to the restaurant as it is on a back street. The place was packed with tourists. We were shown a table and asked for drinks. Food came right away without ordering (which we expected and were ok with). One of the ladies working there came to our table and showed us how to prepare our rolls in a very rushed way. Once the first roll was made she kept telling me "dip it dip it" and rushing me to eat while she made my husband's roll. We saw her and some other staff doing the same with other customers and almost force feeding people. No smiles, poor service. Just a feeling of being rushed to eat to clear a table and allow more people in. The food was alright. Greasy spring rolls and banh xeo as well as meat and veggies to make your own roll. It was an acceptable amount of food for the price (110000d per person) but clearly overpriced if you consider the quality of it and all that because it's becoming such a touristy place. In the end, the poor service ruined our experience and we would recommend to anyone seeking a local experience and the same kind of food to just stop at any small restaurant on the side of the street where you'll be (most likely) welcomed with interest and a smile and receive the same food.