“Great Vegan Food with no MSG or Sugar - What a Welcome Change in Vietnam”
Review of Karma Waters

Karma Waters
Ranked #68 of 839 Restaurants in Hoi An
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Karma Waters - Vegan Restaurants, Responsible Tourism and Charitable Work in Vietnam "Karma Waters Vegan Restaurant" serves healthy vegan food freshly prepared when you order. Menu dishes cooked with a small quantity of salt, ginger, garlic, onion & chili. NO sugar. NO MSG. NO dairy products, meat, fish or eggs cooked or served on our premises. Karma Waters Charitable Association regularly does charity work (from the proceeds of the restaurants) by feeding vegan meals to less privileged citizens in street, at our restaurants and nearby hospitals.
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

All the food here is excellent. We had eaten in their sister restaurant in Da Nang, where the menu is slightly more extensive, so we were eager to eat here too.

The juices are delicious - even the apple, cucumber and coriander. The spicy veg salad with rice cracker was great, as were the veg byriani, the veg curry, the bean curry, the veggie burger, the dal and rotis (yes, we tried a lot of options!!).

Although I'm giving it 5 stars for the quality of the food and their ethics, there are some down sides too. There is no toilet in the restaurant, which means using a public squatting one nearby. The restaurant is located a bit away from the main drag, which was fine when we had bikes, but just meant a slight inconvenience. Because the food is all freshly prepared, the service is slow, so definitely not a good choice for a quick bite to eat. We were not in a rush, so it was fine for us. Also, my husband had already finished his starter (I didn't order one) and main course before my one course meal arrived. Again, if you are easy going about this kind of thing, then it's not a big deal.

Despite the above issues, we are here 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed the food every time. If we were staying longer, we would have done the cooking course too.

There are newer reviews for Karma Waters

Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

On our first day in hoi an we went to this restaurant and were really impressed by the food. The dahl was very delicious and as you can read in other reviews as well: they also offer a lot of non-std-meals.

Yes, the restaurant is quite near the street so it can be a little loud sometimes. But this is very common in Vietnam and this fact shouldn't keep you off from here. You would regret it.

On the next day we also attended the cooking class. It was my third class of this kind and it was definitely number one.

You really DO something here. Yes you have to write everything down for yourself and yes maybe this could be a little bit too much for a single person. But: the two girls are very relaxed. They give you as much time as you need. The whole cooking course is very sympathetic, small, easy going. Not like those commercial cooking schools where everything is planned in detail and you just put ingredients together.

We talked a lot about everything... Which is something I haven't experienced in other schools.

Long story short: it was really nice.

Forget the negative review here at TA. I mean yes some dishes have mock meat. So what. You can freely choose what to cook. So don't chose them. And we had to pay 30$ pP for 3 dishes which makes this school the cheapest I've ever been to.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I felt in love with the food of this place. The food is just delicious. We stayed in hoi for 10 days so we tried several of the places ranked on the top list of tripadvisor but we found this place to be better than all of them. We came back 8 times. My favorite dishes are the vegetable curry($4.5) and the veggie burger ($2).
After traveling through Vietnam for about 3 months, I have to say this is my favorite place.
The place is very simple(right in front of the lantern hotel) but the food is fresh and reasonable price.

Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Great food. No msg or added sugar. Made fresh. Good selection on the menu. Nice clean quiet cafe. Really sweet staff. I visited there several times during my stay.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The place is a tiny establishment run almost from the host's kitchen, and spilling out onto the street, half a mile away from the Old Town and therefore lacking that sort of charm altogether. The food, entirely vegan, is pretty good and inexpensive.