“Great educational experience”

Tra Que Water Wheel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located in the heart of the famous herb village, Tra Que Water Wheel restaurant is a rustic-designed, restored, traditional Vietnamese building. Here you can enjoy the beautiful surroundings while you watch the farmers at work tending their produce.
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
“Great educational experience”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were a group of 8 students and 2 teachers from The Lowell Whiteman School. As an environmental science teacher, this experience served as a wonderful way for my students to see organic farming practices in action! We took a tour through the gardens, split into two teams and competed at creating a minigarden plot using the methods they taught us, made fresh rice paper using a stone grinder and steam oven, and finally cooked and ate several delicious dishes! The staff and owner were quite enthusiastic and willing to share stories about the development of the community. Thank you!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great Day at the water wheel”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We caught a cab from the old town for $3-4 and enjoyed a cool drink at the water wheel and then worked out a price to do a mini farming experience. We donned our farming shirts and hats and had a tour with Hien? through the gardens to the river. We also enjoyed the basil seed and ginger drink and set to with the farming. A great experience ploughing, planting, watering and came away with a new admiration for the real farmers who water 4 times a day! We also had a go at playing some traditional bamboo instruments. A really fun day away from the busy town centre.

3 Thank eightiesgirl66
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great cookingclass and quiet atmosphere”
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

The cookingclass was the best thing we did in Vietnam! The food was really good and the straff were so nice! We went to the local market and bougt all of the food we needed, then went by bike to the water wheel restaurant and started cooking. The village was so quiet and it was really a nice and relaxing day for me and my boyfriend! I highly recommend the cooking class if you are a person who love food, testing new things and meeting local people!
Mathea & Fredrik from Norway!

2 Thank MatheaHelene
UK
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Without a doubt the best thing we did in Vietnam”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We found this place on tripadvisor and rather than an organised tour, just took a taxi to get lunch. We had a very very warm welcome and were given a menu. We decided to rely on whatever was recommended, and it was amazing in presentation, taste and freshness. While we waited for food we had a try on the water wheel and talked with the owner which was fascinating and kept the children occupied. It's amazing to see all the herbs and vegetables being grown all through the village, I believe organically. After lunch we tried to make rice flour while we waited for a taxi, arranged by the owners.
It was a unique and wonderful experience in a beautiful setting. Definitely the highlight of our Vietnam trip. I wish the owners every success in the future and recommend you visit, you won't be disappointed.

Visited May 2013
4 Thank jimbob_uk
Sydney, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A must see if in Hoi An”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We were staying at a hotel along China beach and the tour desk at our hotel didn't know about this place. I found out about Tra Que through Tripadvisor and all the reviews sounded so good I had to go find it. Unfortunately I didn't look for it early enough and I couldn't do a cooking course or a farming day but I will put it on my list for my next visit to Hoi An. My husband and I took a cab from the centre of town out to the village. Off we set down this narrow concrete street which soon opened up to a wonderfully beautiful herb garden with farmers going about there work. We looked for the Water Wheel and headed over past all the garden beds. The soil looked like chocolate! I couldn't believe how nice it looked and the herbs smelt so good! We met the manager of the Water Wheel and she showed us how it worked and talked to us about the village - I even had a go on the water wheel. Then we sad down for a cool drink (you must try their special drink) and a bite to eat. The food was fantastic and the staff were more than happy to tell us about the village. If you want to see some traditional farming and meet some nice people in a peaceful environment away from the city definitely put this place on your list of things to see - but don't leave it to late you might just want to book a cooking class, rice paper making class or farming experience before your holiday is over. Take a look at their website for more details http://www.traquewaterwheel.com/ or email traquewaterwheel@gmail.com - YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED! I recommend getting a small map and hiring bikes to ride out there as cabs can not go into the village streets and we had a little trouble finding a cab at 6pm to get us back to town and while it's not a huge walk it was dark and the streets outside of the city were not lit.

Visited May 2013
traque, Owner at Tra Que Water Wheel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Please write your comments on their website. Do not put it in my place.