“Didn't want to leave”
Review of Thien Nga Hotel

Thien Nga Hotel
Ranked #123 of 170 Hotels in Hoi An
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We booked into the Thien Nga for three nights and wound up staying for a week. Had a room at the back of the building which gives a wonderful view of the fields at the back. Everything was great from start to finish. This place is sparkling clean - much cleaner than your own home (unless of course you wash your bedroom floor every day and the rest of the floors two or three times). The rooms are very large and comfortable with good air conditioning, a lovely view, and a little fridge with cold beer for a buck each. The staff is very accommodating and will give you all the information you need without trying to push their own tours. Free internet in the lobby with a whole bank of desktops. The breakfasts were terrific - try the semi-sludgy Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk. Eggs or omelettes cooked to order. Best thing though was the fresh pineapple pancakes. A previous review mentioned an exorbitant rate for rental bicycles. Nonsense. A buck a day same as everywhere else. Location just a small distance from the absolute centre of town but no problem for us. Do yourself a favour - stay here, rent a bike, then cruise the surrounding area by day, dine in the incredible restaurants of Hoi An in the evening, wake up the next day and have the Thien Nga's incredible breakfast, then do it all over again.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We found this hotel via a Lonely Planet recommendation. It is located just outside of the old town of Hoi An and is a walkable or quick bike ride to the centre. We paid $25 USD for a room with 1 double bed and this included breakfast.

The host is nice, caring albeit slightly intimidating who helped us organise a bus transfer to Hue. The reception staff are friendly helping us with our bags as well as storing our hired bikes inside the hotel overnight.

The room is very clean, spacious and decorated with asian style furniture. The shower was powerful, which is rare for South East Asia! There is a nice range of breakfast options and topical fruit however weak plunger coffee (not a fan). The wifi and laptops were fast and reliable. Overall this hotel is great value.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This has been a lovely stay. We have been staying in a connecting room with family. The rooms are very clean, always fresh and with lots of natural light. Ben the hotel manager has been a fantastic help with many tips and organising trips. The location fantastic and we are very happy!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I looked around at a few places before settling on this hotel. My reason was mainly because they quoted $30 a night and it was the lowest in the basic/budget range. Now that I have stayed there I can say it is an okay hotel with basic facilities and a nice breakfast but I wouldn't say it was worth $30, let alone the $35 a night they actually charged me on checking out. When I paid I found they had actually wrote a different amount down on the bit of paper that they use when I checked in so I wasn't impressed! I didn't argue the point as it is just one of those things in Vietnam you come to accept. If it hadn't been for the rip off it might have scored an average but I still don't think it is worth $30 let alone $35!

If I am honest I should have chosen to stay at Sunshine Hotel as they quoted me $35 that's how I clearly remember the agreed price at Thien Nga. Even though it was further out Sunshine seemed a much nicer hotel. It looked a lot cleaner, with better facilities and I am sure would have had a lot better sleep quality.

As an added note separate from the hotel if you take the bus to Da Nang from Bến xe buýt Hội An bus station don't pay more than 15,000 to 18,000 VND. They will try to charge you 50,000VND but they are trying to rip you off like a lot of other people around Vietnam. The rip off culture really leaves a sour taste and is the reason why I don't think I could ever return to Vietnam again, such a shame as we had some great experiences. If you go just accept that every day at least 2-3 people will try and rip you off. I guess it isn't personal it is just in some peoples' nature when dealing with tourists to make money.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

The room had a balcony overlooking the garden next door, the hotel is about 5 minutes walk from the ancient town and the service was excellent. They arranged my onward flight and hotel for me. Also the room had a DVD player so I could watch the DVDs that I 'd bought in hoi an.
For an extra fee, they met me at Danang airport and drove me to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Nga is located on the main hotel strip, the room had a nice view+a street electric poll, service was healpul, they answered all our awkward requests and were friendly, room was spacious and clean, be sure to ask for extra towels upfront, we found a cheaper taxi shuttle elsewhere

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We loved this hotel on Ba Trieu Street. Popular
So get in early. Get a room facing farms at back for lovely outlook.
Very hip hotel with white and tile decor. Friendly and helpful staff.
Great value for money. Nice breakfast. We recommend this place!

Room Tip: Get a room at the back facing farms for great rural outlook. If on ground floor watch for mosquitos...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple