“Mice , Mice Infested & Thieving Staff!!”
Review of Hoa Binh Hotel

Hoa Binh Hotel
Ranked #122 of 156 Hotels in Hoi An
dublin
“Mice , Mice Infested & Thieving Staff!!”
Reviewed November 20, 2008

We happened across this hotel becasue the bus company that brought us there dropped us off at the hotel .
First impressions were that the hotel looked nice, reasonably modern , and quite spacious . Myself & my girlfriend viewed a room , which looked fine , and agreed a price of $12 .
We had just endured a 12 hour bus journey so we took the room , and went to bed shortly after . The next day we spoke to the girl in reception , and she was advising on various travel advice & the area ect .. this girl is a compulsive lier , no exaggeration ... check out the following...
1) she told my girlfriend that we should not go out at night , becasue the area was too dangerous ( to encourage us to spend money in the hotel ) this was not true, as it was very safe there ..
2) we priced the laundry there , and it was twice the price as outside the hotel , she told me that it was not safe to leave the laundry anywhere else as it would be stolen ....not true!
3) I was booking on line an international flight , and she told me that there were extra airport charges that would make my flight more expensive than the one she had on offer , i ended up saving $120 booking on line
4) she sold me a domestic flight , that worked out much more expensive..
Unbelievable stuff!!

Our second night , myself and my partner went to bed at about 12 , we were awoken by a noise , and when we turned on the light we spotted a mouse , then another , then another , at least 5 in total , my girlfriend was hysterical to say the least as a mouse ran over her head , not kidding!!
I went down to reception and told the porter that we wanted to move room. I was told that the hotel was full so we had to stay in the room . With that , i told him to get our passports ready that we were moving to a different hotel . There was a knock on the door 5 mins later , and we were given a room that was occupied by staff . The linen was dirty , but we had to stay there the night . The next day we were checking out . I was adament that i would not pay for our second night . When we went to pay the bill, instead of being charged $24 , she tried to charge me $30 , insisting that this was a discount price for our troubles , just to add insult to injury .
I could excuse the mice for the intrusion, but the girl behind the counter was an absolute parasite !
DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 405

• Liked — free internet , which was rarley available
  • Disliked — The Receptionist
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Vietnamese first
seattle, wa
Reviewed August 31, 2008

This was the most expensive place we stayed in during our trip to SE Asia. But, $25 for three people is still not that expensive!

The pool was really nice even though it wasn't completely outdoors and there was no place to sit and tan.

Good location, just a few minutes walk from the main street. Staff was really friendly, computers worked great, very clean.

• Liked — Big rooms, big beds, and a balcony.
  • Disliked — Computers had no microphones or webcams.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
South East Asia
Reviewed August 14, 2008

Hoa Binh Hotel is almost new, very attractive and has a swimming pool. (Hoi An gets VERY hot in summer). It is right in the middle of Hoi An in the best location (Note: there are some brand new, attractive hotels in the same street but they are way out of town.)

For $25 we had a modern, very spacious, tastefully and usefully furnished room on the 2nd floor, with two double beds (with thick LATEX mattresses and soft pillows), a walk out balcony overlooking the street and wooden shutters as well as window glass and curtains to shade us and shield us from noise (though Hoi An is not a noisy place). Good range of satellite channels on TV and efficient A/C. Almost new spotless bathroom with bath.

Everything in our room worked except one light globe in our bedroom/foyer.

There were 4 free internet stations in the lobby rather than the 1 or 2 in most Vietnam hotels.

The staff were friendly and efficient yet didn't need to be your best friend. They also had tours and booking service available but didn't push it.

Rate included simple breakfast of various types of baguettes and coffee. They have many other types of rooms at cheaper rates.

• Liked — Everything. It was way above most $25 hotels we stayed in Vietnam. Plus great location.
  • Disliked — The only thing I can fault was their price for booking a train ticket to Na Trang which was over the odds.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple