“an interesting experience”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Today we visited this restaurant as it was advertised and recommended. When we shown to a table it had no covering and was a scratched metal fold up. Music was playing from a very unusual arrangement of tv plus speakers and whatever else it needed. However we looked at the menu. My partner chose his meal and I asked for pizza, as I am a very fussy eater. . My partners arrived, which looked good but he said the fish was dry. They immediately changed it. He was shown how to eat his food Vietnamese style. I still waited. Meanwhile a lady who lived there began breast feeding her baby. The grandmother Sat in the restaurant in her hair rollers. I still waited. Again whilst waiting the baby started crawling all over the floor and twice bumped into my chair with his walker. At long last my pizza arrived. It had been bought from another shop. It was lovely. Well not what we had expected due to the recommendation but it certainly added another Vietnam experience to our afternoon.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This place won't appeal to everyone. The "atmosphere" is lacking and there's no menu -- you get what Mr. Kim serves (with the option of fish, meat or vegetarian). But we found these aspects part of the fun. I can see that some might be put off by Mr. Kim's self-promotion, but hey, he's got a story to tell. And bottom line, we really liked the food. We liked the surprise, and being treated to things we might not order ourselves. We liked being shown how to eat each dish and the gentle scolding when my husband did it wrong. In all, it felt like walking into someone's kitchen and being served what's cookin'.

1  Thank GLyons
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Mr Kim serves great food and is friendly guy. By the waterfront area. French and local food. Good value experience.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was our most disappointing culinary experience. Mr Kim's sales pitch was very good. However the meal was quite expensive, carelessly presented, tasted only fair and was the worst meal we experienced in two weeks. Would I try the place again? Certainly not.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

If you are not quite sure how Vietnamese food/meals work then this is a great introduction. The set menu is tasty and the advice on what goes with what is delivered with good honour. Great fun.