“Nice Location”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2012

...overlooking the river.
We arrived for lunch and the waiter was sound asleep at one of the tables- haven't had that before.
Food was tasty enough but we were put off by a lovely long black hair arriving in my wifes meal...
Haven't been back!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Frommer's so highly recommended this place that we had to check it out. One of us had the seafood option, the other had the vegetarian. Both first courses were delicious, the soup and the shrimp dumplings (white rose). All went downhill after that. I guess that they were trying to be helpful, but I don't like people touching my food. One waiter took the spoon out of my partner's hand, more than once, to correct his eating style. Two different waiters kept coming over to add condiments to my food that the other had already added. One of them was smoking, then using his hands to maneuver our food, not just our plates, but our food. And yes, the food went downhill, from bone-dry fish to mushy vegetables. Then for dessert we got a factory made "flan" sort of thing in a clear plastic tub. Truly, I give the place 2 stars only to be kind. If the food had been good, maybe I could have gone along with the "unique experience". I can honestly say that this is the only place in Vietnam where I didn't clean my plate. Skip Cafe des Amis and go to Miss Ly Cafe which has much fresher tasting food, better prices and such pleasant staff!

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Seriously, it was the best food we had during our trip. Our group of 4 shared the three menus (vegetarian, seafood and meat), and at the end we were stuffed. The wine was good, the view was good, and even the silent waiter was funny. If you happen to be around and hungry, make sure to stop by.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

3 of us ate at Mr Kim's restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food was excellent and included some things we wouldn't have ordered for ourselves, so the set menu was great. 2 of us had Seafood and 1 had the vegetarian option. We were the only diners (lunch time) so Mr Kim was very attentive and, like others have mentioned, he demonstrated how to construct each mouthful properly. While I'm sure that he, like all chefs, has good and bad days I'm surprised at the negativity of some reviews. One of my dining companions was 75, on her first trip to Asia, and she had a ball (even when Mr Kim insisted on "feeding" her/us).

I've never eaten anywhere like Cafe Des Amis, I will return and I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for an "experience". Isn't that why we travel?

1  Thank Alan C
Reviewed May 3, 2012

The owner (Mr. Kim) suggested that our group of 4 order 3 set menus (1 seafood, 1 veggie, 1 meat) and that we share it all. He showed us how to eat each dish properly and scolded us when he saw us doing it wrong! We had more that enough to eat. Each dish was not something we would ever have ordered but we liked most of them a lot. Great value.