“Nice trip”

$37.50*
and up
Hoi An Culinary Tour and Cooking Class with River Cruise
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Overall I would definetly recommend the cooking school. Only reason that I only give 4 stars is that there was no drink included for the final lunch.

The market tour was very interesting, however the lady was talking very quickly (at least for me as a non-native english speaker). The boat trip on the way back was amazing, they went slower than on the way there and stopped to see the local fishers throwing their nets.
The cooking itself was fun and i guess as much hands-on as you can expect from a halfday cooking class. At the end there was plenty of food served which was delicious.

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We signed up for the night course in order to kill some time before taking an overnight train. We weren't expecting too much for $17 and knew from reading the website that it would be more of a demonstration as opposed to a full course. What we received was even lower than our very tempered expectations.

The instructor showed up and didn't even bother introducing himself. He just handed out some vegetables and asked everyone to start chopping. Someone had to specifically ask him more than once what dish we were making. He sped through everything, quite obviously just wanting to go home for the day. It was comically bad.

I can safely say I learned nothing about Vietnamese food through this experience. After travelling for several weeks and taking cooking courses in several SE Asian countries I can easily say this was the absolute worst cooking experience and I would only recommend it to someone as an example of what a cooking course and customer service should not be.

On the plus side, the food (that was cooked mostly by staff in the kitchen in the back of the restaurant) was decent and filling. The whole experience would have been more enjoyable should we have just been served the food without the added pretense of a cooking class.

1  Thank Nick O
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We booked this full day cookery course, based on the recommendation of friends who had done it. We were certainly not disappointed and it was great value for money. The whole day was wonderful and one of the nicest things we did in Vietnam. The market garden and market visit started the day off. The location of the school is lovely, on the river. We learnt to make rice noodles, cook beef stock, make spring rolls and a number of other dishes which were all delicious. We could help ourselves to drinks, both beer and non alcoholic drinks all day, and then to cap it all we were given a Redbridge apron each and a recipe cards with the dishes we had cooked. A trip on the river back to Hoi An was a great end to a great day!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We did this class because I didn't get time to book a full day like I'd planned to, and some Aussies we met at Halong Bay recommended it. I don't regret doing it, but I was quite disappointed. We paid $17 each, for which you get dinner after (generous portions) and one free drink (coke/beer/lemon juice).

You sit in a table of 10 with the instructor at one end. We were at the far end and couldn't see much, I had to keep leaping up and running around to see what was happening. The instructor also seemed like he didn't want to be there - he made some good jokes but rushed through everything. I kept interrupting him to ask for further explanations and this seemed to annoy him but I was determined to get something out of it!

The actual cooking demo part maybe lasted 40 minutes, the rest of the time was spent eating. The food served was very generous, not everything eaten was made in the class though. The most fun we got out of the night was conversations with fellow classmates we met.

Maybe worth doing if you're not too serious about cooking, but if you have the time to do a full day course, I think that would be much better!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Fantastic full day cooking class. The day started off with a tour of the local Vietnamese farms and a drink at a local family's house. Next we went to the farmer's market where we bought the ingredients we would be using later in the day to cook. Once we arrived back at the restaurant (located on the river with beautiful grounds surrounding it) we were offered our choice of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and to top it off it was all you can drink for the rest of your time there. 4 meals were on the menu for the day. We made a soup, salad and two seafood dishes. The class was small (6 people) and the food was delicious. Great value for $35. To finish the day we took a boat ride back in to old town to where the day started. Thanks to Anh and Phi for the great day. Highly recommended.