“Amazing site to visit”

and up
1-Day Tour of Samarkand from Tashkent
Ranked #1 of 49 things to do in Samarkand
More attraction details
Owner description: The centerpiece of the city is one of the most important monuments of Islamic arts.
Canberra, Australia
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Amazing site to visit”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I kept coming back to the Registan to take photos from different angles and under different lighting. Just beware of the guards who will offer to accept bribes to climb a minaret. The price for the bribes varies wildly from $5 to $50. Each of the medressas in the Registan have a different facade and it feels awe inspiring to stand in the middle and view all three.

Visited July 2012

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Gobsmacked”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I've seen many wonders, but the first sight of the Registan left me truly speechless! The sheer size of the structures, the wonderous tiling, breathtaking colour and stark architectural statement are simply overwhelming. This is not to be missed. If possible, take the Bullet Train - Afrosiab - from Tashkent (about 3.5hrs) to add to the experience.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Marget D
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Must see attraction”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just the approach to this incredible monument takes your breath away.

I am always annoyed when the entry price for locals and international guests has such a wide variation which is why I gave this 4 and not 5 stars. I was travelling with my girlfriend and her mother and they singled me out to pay 10 times what they paid. I somewhat understand but don't agree with it.

Once I was over this, I was able to enjoy the incredible architecture and sunning detail.Some of my best photos of Uzbekistan were from here and is a must see on any expedition through the country.

Visited May 2012
Manila, Philippines
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Surreal”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

So far away from home, but it was worth the trip. It felt like I was in ancient times, and I became nostalgic thinking of how it was in those years....It was totally different from where I came from, the culture, the structure, it is surreal, awesome...I came to realize that no matter which part of the world we hailed from, we're still one mankind, our past, our present and our future are intertwined. I truly believe you should put this place, and this city of Samarkand, in your bucket list. Someday, I promise myself, I will go back.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank SunshineYell0w
Auckland Region, New Zealand
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Silk Road Attraction”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Registan is one of Uzbekistan's greatest attractions. This complex of three Madrassahs has been fully restored to its original splendour. The Registan comprises a range towers, domes, gateways and walls. There is one entry fee for the complex. Inside the complex, souvenir shops tempt the visitor - bargain hard and expect to halve the price. Merchants are not so persistent. Some evenings there is a Sound and Light Show here and it's not be be missed - check your hotel for details. A guide (inexpensive) or good guidebook 'Uzbekistan' by Calum Macleod and Bradley Mayhew is recommended to get most value from this attraction. Once inside the complex, sit a while and enjoy the beauty.

Visited September 2012