“Awful”
Review of Hostel El Espanol

Hostel El Espanol
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in some bad places in my time and had to deal with some shoddy service but this place really took the biscuit. Checked in first evening and went for a walk, got back to bedroom at about midnight and tried to go to sleep ... couldn't stop itching myself and thought I must have been bitten by some Mosquitos - anyway no sleep had. Next day went on a bike ride but could not finish it as my body had come up with 100s of bites all over my body and I was in agony - someone said it was bed bugs - when I mentioned this to reception they said I should go to the doctor etc which I did - he confirmed it was bed bugs and wrote the hostel a note saying they should fumigate the room. When I passed this note on they first refused to believe it, then said I brought them there (I had just come from a plush apartment), then refused to move me and my friends to a new room.
They then finally agreed we could check out (myself not paying as I didn't sleep and 5 of my friends paying 1 night). When we tried to leave one of the staff changed their mind and threatened to call the police if I didn't pay. I kindly declined this offer and suffice to say I haven't been back - location is decent and that's about the only good thing I can say about this place - stay at your own peril.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank rakingston
There are newer reviews for Hostel El Espanol

Reviewed March 8, 2013

This place has no atmosphere and terrible rooms. The beds are uncomfortable and look far from clean. The staff were not welcoming and we even felt like we were a burden while we checked in.

The worst part of it all are the terrible toilets, the seats aren't attached so when you put them on you have to be careful not to slip off. You also try your best not to touch anything in these foul smelling rooms that double as showers.

Don't go there unless it's the last otion

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

No frills, but a nice enough place to spend the night in Colonia. He rooms are old but clean. The lounge area is nice and airy and the breakfast is okay. Colonia is a tiny place, so it doesn't really matter where you stay, but this place is located only a couple of blocks from the port and bus station and a few blocks from the plazas of the old town and the rivers edge.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Hostel El Espanol is located close to Old Town and river port (ferry to BA) and is ok for one night stay, when you are just for short visit in Uruguay. Big dorm with bathroom was quite clean. WiFi was only in common area. Small breakfast included.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2013

A no frills youth hostel, well located for Colonia with clean rooms and friendly enough service. We found it excellent value for money and conveniently located near to the bus station for early journeys!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marc F
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I don't feel I am fussy with hostels and have stayed at some bad ones, but didn't like this place at all... it was dirty, the beds hadn't been made when we arrived and we were given a bed that was already taken. The woman on reception wasn't particularly friendly either. The bathroom was dirty, and there weren't enough bathrooms for all the people in the hostel. They didn't have any lockers, well they did, but you couldn't lock them so pointless! The beds were uncomfortable. We paid for aircon but it didn't work... the room was boiling I could barely sleep! There was a huge storm in the night, obviously not their fault but all the electricity went off and it made the night even worse! Breakfast was really poor, and the bread was covered with flies... you can pay a dollor or two more and get a place that is awesome! we also stayed in Sucramente hostel down the road for one night but had to move to El Espanol for the 2nd as they were fully booked and we had only reserved one night - go to Sucramente if you can as the place was SO much nicer!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lubi2406
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Hostel well located, near the harbour & the old city. Very nice from the outside, a bit rundown in the inside! Getting a private bathroom was the best idea we've had overall when we saw the outside bathroom... An old bath, toilets without seat, water everywhere, no soap to wash your hands,... But the one in the room was ok, clean & lots of hot water. The sheets were clean as well.
We've been waiting a lot to check in and overall to get our breakfast in the morning... We finally had to ask the lady that mubbled because it was 10h05 and the breakfast was until 10, but we had been waiting more than 10 minutes in the dining room...
If you want a sleep in, forget that place for the moment (11.8.2012)... they are renovating a bathroom and begin the work at 7.30am... I think that it is not worth the price when you're woken up at that time with lots of noise in the patio. I wish they would have told us the day before as we could have chosen another place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple