“Great beer, so so food and atmosphere.”
Review of Barbot - Brew Pub

Barbot - Brew Pub
Cuisines: Mexican, Pizza, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The first microbrewery of Colonia del Sacramento. We serve more than 15 different styles of premium quality beer, all made in our own brewery with carefully selected products and following antique brewing recipes. Original Author's Cuisine, Special Sandwiches, Craft Burgers, Traditional Uruguayan Chivitos, Wood Oven Pizzas, Vegetarian Food, Homemade Desserts.
Buenos Aires
“Great beer, so so food and atmosphere.”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

This a fine place. I had two excellent pints of IPA and we shared a bowl of chips with tomato sauce, the latter being sold with some fancy name I cannot recall. It is not cheap - nowhere in Colonia is - and the lighting would be more suitable for a mortuary than a bar, but if you want a decent beer in Colonia it is really your only option

• Visited November 2013

Bainbridge Island WA
“Ok, beer but they need some practice and a bouncer”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Tried the Kolsch, it was good but lacking flavor depth and the slight fruitiness of this type. The "IPA" was no where near hoppy enough to have that name. Tasted more like an American ale.
Service is glacially slow. They should try to do something about the herds of Finnish construction workers who are that decamp to this place in the evening. several of them are loud and menacing, and a few were asleep with their heads on the table. not a cool vibe for a cool looking bar.

Visited October 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Drink but don't bother eating here”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We thought this would be a really good option for a different meal and some decent beer. The beer was good, so we'd recommend it for a drink, but the food was only so-so.

Visited September 2013
“Great IPA and friendly service”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed in Colonia for two days and made my way to this cerveceria both days. The number one reason I came was for the beer, definitely the best beer I have tried in South America. Between visiting the brewery twice (once for dinner and then for lunch) me and my girlfriend tried all of the beers that were not agotado. For me the India Pale Ale was hands down the winner, while not as hoppy as the IPA's in the states it definitely has a nice floral bouquet and made me want to drink it all night. The only downside was the beer was a little pricey (100 uruguayos per pint), but so is everything in Colonia.

On the flip side, the food was much more reasonably priced than the touristy restaurants in town. The mexican food was good and the chivito for two also was tasty although portions were a bit small. We had the same waitress on both visits, she was very attentive and buena onda. The ambiance was nice, a renovated colonial home with a modern yet homey feel inside (the fireplaces and couch area are nice for a cold night).

What I also really appreciated about Barbot was that it wasn't overly touristy like the rest of the restaurants in Colonia. Although the place does attract tourists they don't try to gorge you on prices. It does have somewhat of a local feel and it is open till 1:30AM (at least on weekends). Barbot is definitely worth a visit, your beer belly will thank you later.

• Visited July 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Best beer in South America”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I might be exaggerating a little, but not much. I live in Portland, Oregon, land of hundreds of brewpubs, and have traveled extensively in Colombia, Argentina, and Uruguay, and I must say that Barbot has some of the very best beer I've tasted south of the States. And they also stock Maker's Mark, a definite plus.

We ate the fajitas, which also were quite good. The place is inviting, and has a nice "bar feel" where folks can stand around the part and get to know one another. The night I was there, a large contingent of Finnish businessmen were celebrating the end of a local project. It's what makes travel so much fun. I highly recommend Barbot

• Visited May 2013