“A wonderful experience”

The Wine Experience
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Wine Experience will be offering Wine Tours in Colonia that includes: All Transfers, Private Expert Guide & Sommelier, Gourmet Lunch in Carmelo at a Relaix & Chateau Property, Visit to 1 or 2 Historic Wineries, All Tastings, Traditional Uruguayan BBQ at an Estancia that includes a horse ride through the vineyards. Even if you don't drink wine you will get to see the Best of Colonia & Carmelo with beautiful scenery and the ppportunity to meet the Owners & Winemakers face to face. You will be welcomed like an "old friend". Please click on the website for further details, or contact Ryan via the email form. We know you work hard - some come and join us - you deserve it !!
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I am so pleased that we booked the wine experience. Without it we would not have had such a great introduction to Uruguay and to wines of the region - particularly the Tannat, which we were not familiar with before.

We booked in advance and Ryan was very professional. He picked us out at the ferry terminal so we didn't have a moment to worry before we were driven through the beautiful countryside to Carmelo, with Ryan telling us entertaining stories and interesting things about Uruguay.

When we arrived at the Irurtia winery Ryan taught us about the wine making process and the owner came and poured us a welcome glass of wine which we drank as we wandered around the vineyards on a crisp, sunny day - bliss. When it came to our tasting the owner was very enthusiastic and generous meaning we got to sample a few unexpected wines too - the hospitality was fantastic! They were so delicious that I couldn't help buying a bottle to take home (although it was hard to choose which one!).

The second part of the tour was just as special. We enjoyed another wine tasting at Narbona winery, including an extremely tasty and memorable Pinot Noir (as you can tell we are not wine experts we just enjoy good wine!) This was followed by a delicious lunch and more of Ryan's good company.

After a fantastic day Ryan dropped us back in Colonia where we had another couple of hours to explore (all you need really in the small but pretty old town) before getting the ferry back to Buenos Aires.

It cost much more money than I would usually pay for a tour but I didn't want to miss out on the wine region and with everything it included it was worth every penny. To top it all off Ryan took photos throughout the day which he sent to us afterwards to remember it all by.

Thank you Ryan and all the best for the future!

1  Thank 83blonde
Wine7Guy7, Owner at The Wine Experience, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Dear Pam:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. It was a real treat taking you and your Mum on this Grape Escape. I can still remember our day fondly.

Next time, I hope to take you on an Adventure in Punta del Este !!

Regards to Mum.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I booked the Romantic Getaway with Ryan Hamilton's company The Wine Experience earlier this year. We were picked up by Ryan himself after taking the ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay and rode with him in his own vehicle through the beautiful countryside (reminded me of the Midwest) to the quaint, small town of Carmelo. The winery in Carmelo was beautiful and very romantic. After a tour of the facility by the young owner that looks like Reese Witherspoon, we had some tasting in the cellar, then enjoyed one of the best meals on our trip (in both Uruguay and Argentina)! I had a steak and my wife had this amazing pasta, which I would highly recommend. The winery also makes their own cheese. The parmesan cheese that came with my wife's pasta was spectacular.

We brought a few bottles of wine back with us on the ferry to Buenos Aires. We can't think Ryan enough for his amazing stories and excellent hospitality. If you ever get the chance to do a tour with Ryan Hamilton, don't hesitate!

2  Thank coolmacdude
Wine7Guy7, Owner at The Wine Experience, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Hola Jesse & Hannah:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. Wow.. what a fun day we had. I loved showing you the best of Colonia & Carmelo. You guys are a lovely couple and hopefully you will be back in Montevideo or Punta del Este :)

Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I did a magical tour with Ryan but in January during a trip to Colonia. We had a fantastic time at a winery where we had a tasting and asado lunch, as well as a horseback ride with a gaucho through the grounds of the winery. Ryan is extremely knowledgable and a lot of fun to spend the day with. We had such a great time we booked Ryan again when my parents came to visit Montevideo. The Montevideo tours were fantastic, including a private tours - one given by the owner herself. Excellent again, could not recommend higher. Thanks Ryan!

1  Thank jdrel

Hola Jen & Ryan:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We had an Amazing day. What a pleasure. We have now done 2 tours together (Montevideo & Colonia), which leaves only Punta del Este :)

Reviewed November 13, 2012

The Wine Experience is the only way to see and learn about wineries in Uruguay. Ryan was amazing. He customizes your tour to the time you have, the type of wine tour you want, where you want to go and how long you want to be gone. He will accomodate you any way you need. We wanted to see Colonia and include the wine tasting and cheese tasting in this very famous cheese and wine area of Uruguay. We,3 of us, only had one day and Ryan made it happen without feeling rushed or pressured........We spent 2 and half hours in beautiful Colonia and had a light lunch before our tour started........18 wine tasting glasses and enough cheese tasting to compliment every glass of wine and more......then enjoying the ride back to Montevideo Ryan explained the region and history of the wines. AN AMAZING FULL AND ENJOYABLE DAY......We will be booking other areas of Uruguay with him and looking forward to his interesting stories of the different regions and the wines Uruguay has to offer. Just contact The Wine Experience and Ryan will make it happen!

Hola Annette:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I loved showing you the very best of Colonia & Carmelo. Next time > I'd love to take you on a tour in Punta del Este or in Montevideo !!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

An interesting and enjoyable tour with an excellent guide. Ryan's knowledge and understanding of the wines, the region, and his obvious relationships with the winemakers and other suppliers made the day a complete success. His passion for wine and food is obvious and it shows in his presentations. The tasting lesson was informative and fun. And to top it off we tasted some excellent wines and I'm now aware of some new and wonderful wine regions! I recommend The Wine Experience to anyone visiting Uruguay.

Wine7Guy7, Owner at The Wine Experience, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Hola S:

Thank you soo much for taking time to write a review. I am stoked you had a wonderful experience. The Wine Experience for me is like catching up with old friends and taking them on new and unique adventures. Enjoy brisvegas and hope to see you back soon.

Gracias totales !!

Owner, The Wine Experience
"Wine Tours are a Lifestyle"