“Great food, bad service”
Review of Mercosur

Mercosur
Cuisines: Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I've been a couple of times to this restaurant because they have really good dishes and drinks. The place has a perfect location in downtown and they have reasonable prices as well.
However, the service is really bad. The last time I went there, there were very few customers, and they made us wait for 15 minutes to bring us the menu and 25 minutes to take our order! and they didn't even took it because we were very hungry and tired of waiting, so we just left.
I don't get it because we could see like 4 or 5 waiters who were not busy, they were just talking, and they saw us there waiting for someone to take our order...

If you are a very patient person, I do recommend this place. But if you don't like waiting more than 30 minutes for someone to take your order, don't even think about going to this restaurant.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We arrived in Colonia and this was right up the street form our hotel. The service was slow and non plussed. When out food arrived it was inedible. We paid our bill and left. The waitress came running after us and told us we had not paid enough. I knew specifically what I had put on the table so either womeone walked by and took some of it or what but for the bad service and food I had had enough

1  Thank Robert O
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This resteraunt has both outdoor and indoor dining. It has a selection of modern western dishes and some traditional Uruguayan dishes. There is ASADO on the menu. Takes cards, although be warned, they may not work on South America's POSNET.My Australian Visa cards did not work as there is a difference between "International Cards" and domestic Cards. Take cash for a back up for all purchases.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Sure enough, I've been living here in Colonia del Sacramento for almost a year and a half, and as such, I've had the opportunity to visit this restaurant quite a few times. I even applied to work as a waiter there. However, the few times I've eaten here, I noticed it had its positive aspects as well as its negative. Sure enough, the food is ok, I guess, although quantity very clearly overpowers quality. If you know a bit about Uruguayan cuisine, you know they're just trying to get away with their poor quality meats by replacing traditional dishes with cheaper, faster imitations of the same.

Nevertheless, if you enjoy eating at places like McDonald's or perhaps Perkins (Although I think I'd prefer Perkins), and want to experience fast food in a different country, then by all means, eat at Mercosur. Like I said, the food isn't BAD, it's just not as good as one would expect. Of course, you can't compare the prices, as with most fast food restaurants. As far as Mercosur goes, it's pretty much the best place to go if you want a cheap and filling lunch or dinner. Not recommended if you want to try out REAL Uruguayan cuisine, nor for a special occasion.

As for the service, I suppose you could say it was just fine. Nothing out of the ordinary, but good enough nonetheless. As a waiter myself, I suppose I can see why the waiters at Mercosur might seem disinterested. They slave away all day to try and keep both their managers and the clients content, something which is near impossible. They ought to get a medal. So, if you do choose to dine there, feel free to complain about the food's quality if your chivito comes with soggy fries, a burnt egg, no bacon, and a steak as thick as your hand (The Chivito sandwich traditionally comes with an almost paper-thin filet mignon steak, otherwise it's not a chivito, it's a steak sandwich.), but please, give your waiter a break. And remember, the tip isn't extra. It's part of his paycheck, as it is in most places, including the place where I work (Which I will not divulge)

Hope to have been of help! Cheers, and good eating!

1  Thank Ignacio S
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Popular spot. Larger and a little nicer than most of the sidewalk cafes along the main street. We expected to pay a little more than at other places but in fact the bill was one of the lowest we had in our 5 day trip through Uruguay. Food was good, although not special. Service was average and not a problem for us. Fine place for a decent, enjoyable meal.