“Tourist trap with a great location.”
Review of Casa Grande Bistro

Casa Grande Bistro
Cuisines: South American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Tourist trap with a great location.”
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Went to Casa Grande with my girlfriend and another couple to have lunch, and were seated on the outside. The food was tasty but nothing special, and the price was not very reasonable compared to other nearby restaurants.

My advice: If you want to eat by the old city plaza, head instead to the Pulperia de Los Faroles.

3 Thank Gerardo G

New York, New York
“Three strikes you're out!”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We should have known by the marketing outside that this restaurant is desperate for clients. Six of us ate lunch here. After ordering our food, the waiter returned 20 minutes later to say he didn't have one of the orders available. So that person reordered. 30 minutes later, the waiter returned again to say that another person's order wasn't available. So that person reordered. 15 minutes later half of our entrees came. And there were only 4 other customers eating at the time. No excuse for slow service. The food wasn't good. When the other two entrees finally came, one of them was the wrong entree. That person then reordered and told the waiter if the food was not promptly brought out he wouldn't pay. The waiter later returned with the correct entree and told us that he wouldn't charge for the incorrect entree. When the waiter finally returned with the bill, he had charged us for all of the entrees - that is including the ones that weren't available and the one that was incorrect - and also for the one that was supposed to be 'on the house'. 15 minutes he returned with another incorrect bill. We went inside and this time when we spoke with the manager, the waiter acted like he didn't know what we were talking about. To sum it up, we paid for the correct number of entrees and received a free meal, but this was after wasting 3 hours and eating t.v. dinner styled pasta. I wouldn't return if you paid me.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Flowergirlla
Penang Island, Malaysia
“The free champagne got us in”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Yes, we were offered a free glass of good quality champagne as we walked past... a great gimmick, and it worked, but the food was badly prepared and rather tasteless, but who goes there for the food? The location was great, on the cobblestone street of the old city with a view to the water.

Visited December 2011
4 Thank Kanan A
London, England
“Lovely leisurely lunch with good food, a great view and lovely staff”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I had lunch here (pear and walnut salad - LOVELY) sat outside looking down towards the river. The view is gorgeous - whether you're facing towards the plaza or the river - and the staff were pleasant and attentive without being overbearing. However I had to go inside to pay after asking for the bill and waiting for ages, so I'm not sure if that was a mistake on my part or if the waiter had forgotten. But either way i wasn't bothered I was soaking up some rays and was in no rush so it wasn't a problem!

• Visited October 2011
London, United Kingdom
“Count your change!”
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Having read that this was a great place to eat, we chose it for our final night in Colonia. The setting was good and we sat outside with views down to the River Plate. The food was of a good standard and in particular the leek and bacon ravioli was a winner. However, what completely ruined our evening was the staff disappearing with a 1000 peso note. We waited for our change, but when it became apparent that they were not coming back out, we went inside and after some discussion was given the change. We also asked for the bill, to check that we had been given the right amount, and it was fished from a bin and returned to us completely crumpled. We reported this to the hotel we were staying in and they obviously got in touch with the restaurant who said that they had thought it was a tip. How can putting a note into the wallet and say gracias when it was collected, be construed in any way as giving a tip! We feel that this probably happens a lot, but they rely on people visiting for the day from Buenos Aires and not being familar with the currency.

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank HMJ99
casagrandecolonia, Owner at Casa Grande Bistro, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Well glad you wrote a review, I looked everywhere for you guys in every posada there was, I found where you were staying but you were already in bed, let me first explain you that gratuity (tip ) is not included in the restaurant bill, the cubierto is a cover charge which is very common in every restaurant in Uruguay, gratuity should be around 10% of your total bill if you ate well (as they told me you did) and if you had a good service. You did not speak any Spanish and you should next time you travel get a little more information regarding what is custom in the country you are staying, the hotel manager told me you were already upset because of some bad experiencse you had in south america but on the visit to my restaurant when you hand over the check with the note you said OK, I don't want to justify Mauro a new waiter which is at fault for not bringing out the change but out of 956 pesos 44 pesos would have been a very very average gratuity and it usually never happens that someone who eats well does not leave any gratuity at all. On the other hand once you said ok he left the tip in the tip jar and throw away the Invoice since he beleived the transaction was over. What I am most concerned is the fact that A) you did not even ask for the change B) politely asked at the server for it but you did C) went inside punched the Bar and start yelling to everyone like they were thief for a 44 pesos change.... I would reccomend that next time you take your time relax enjoy the food and if you have some inconvenience try to solve it firstly with some calm. You are the first person I ever dealt in Casagrande with some sort of problem about money and Having the sensation that this happens often is insulting especially coming from someone who cannot control his emotions. And next time make sure about what is customary in a country that you visit and do not speak the language.