After weeks of trying to decide where in the world to take my then 8-year old son for our annual mother-son vacation, I decided to go to Uruguay: beach, nice safe city (Montevideo) and wide open countryside. I love this country and my son was only 2 yrs the last time we visited. As I was going through a touristic guide at the bookstore, I came across Estancia Finca Piedra (unfortunately, I don’t remember which guide had this hotel listed). I was intrigued by the “gaucho” activities and happy about the location, as not being too far from Colonia del Sacramento (we went there as a day trip). I also invited a good female friend from Chile and the three of us arrived the Friday before Easter week. It was not difficult to find the place and the room was ready for us. We stayed in a corner room in the one-floor building near the kitchen. The room was cozy and the beds comfortable; the bathroom had enough hot water. We were the only guests that night, so service was very personalized.
The food is homemade and we enjoyed it a lot, though the Sunday asado was not as tender as others we had in Uruguay. They offered options for my son, but he liked the set menu, so we never had to get anything different; he particularly liked the pasta. My friend and I loved the deserts. There is a good variety of good wines, and there is nothing better than sipping a good wine by the fireplace. The pool was too cold for me to swim, particularly with not such great weather in mid-March, but reading by the pool was nice. Saturday and Sunday the place had many more people, and my son found another kid to play with, giving my friend and I more more time to catch up. Staff was nice and very attentive not being intrusive. We loved the place. The property is really big, and they can take you for a tour. The activities are good, but you have to let them know in advance what you want to do. In spite of all the cows, horses and the small zoo, my son decided that the best were the cats. He was very upset when a couple of the dogs attacked a cat; luckily, the nice Paraguayan girl who worked there took care of it when we called her. I’d say that the “domestic dog-cat violence” was the only negative of our stay here, plus one of the young dogs bit my son the day we arrived. Again, they took care of it quickly and the bite was not bad. Well, the insect bites were not pleasant, but what would one expect from being in the countryside. Maybe, the hotel could make city folks like us feel a bit better, by providing (or even selling) repellent to prevent the mosquito bites or calamine to deal with the itchiness afterwards.
I do recommend this place and definitively plan to visit it again. However, next time I probably will not go straight from the airport. I think it’d be better to go after a few days of having been on vacation, to make the transition between busy city-life in the US and the several hours plane ride to a quiet country side hotel a bit less “intense”.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Expanding over 1000 hectares in Mahoma hills, Finca Piedra reveals the authentic Uruguayan country life with the sophisticated European style. It is located only 125 km from Montevideo (with direct access by bus) and 110 km from Colonia. Its convenient location allows access from Buenos Aires in just two and a half hours. Finca Piedra offers comfortable rooms with en suite bathrooms, decorated in traditional style and set according to the building where they are located. Wi-fi access is available free of charge in all of the common areas of the estancia. Our Franco-Uruguayan kitchen team prepares delicious meals boasting the best flavors from both cultures. Our homemade wines harmoniously complete your meal. We also cater separate menus for diabetics, vegetarians, gluten-free or other special diets (with advance notice). At Finca Piedra we offer a wide variety of free and guided activities so everybody can enjoy each moment at their own pace. Whether on horseback, carriage, walking or biking, you will marvel at the surrounding natural landscapes: the Mahoma hills natural reserve, our 20 hectares of vineyards, La Coronilla stream and the "lakes". You'll be able to observe the rich bird life and flora during these outings. We also offer special activities for children such as participating in the milking of the cow, tours of our animal farm, a games room with amenities such as a ping-pong table, foosball, a pool table and a trampoline, a bocce ball court, a volleyball court, a football field, a racquetball court and of course our outside pool with vineyard views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Estancia Finca Piedra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estancia Finca Piedra Hotel Colonia Del Sacramento
- Estancia Finca Piedra Uruguay/Colonia Del Sacramento