Having covered some great places along random international vacations I gladly share this under-advertised gem in the Uruguayan 'campo'. On route from BA to Jose Ignacio our group found ourselves in the warm embrace of Estancia Finca Piedra. My travel planning tends toward an easy devolution from fast paced to totally chill and this was the absolute perfect transition between our arrival point - busy Buenos Aires and the beautiful beaches of Jose Ignacio. There were two of the four in our travel crew that yearned for the easy pace of a Uruguayan ranch but quickly all of us were soothed by the casual, attentive pace of Finca Piedra. Walk the trails, horse back, bike... Drive from Colonia and arrive in time for a sunset horse ride. PHENOMENAL. Enjoy what this very special place offers - AMAZING food (didn't expect!) and clean accommodations. Introduce yourselves to owners Jason and Sandrine and their well trained staff who will quickly make you feel at home. Be sure to sample their wines which are remarkable - the Syrah and Voignier in particular were delightful surprises of which we bought cases for the Jose Ignacio. If seeking a well-rounded experience in Uruguay I highly recommend this place as a destination. Note: our travel group of Americans and Canadians, The Gadabouts, travel during the American Thanksgiving which is just before the crush of S. American travel in Dec and January. We recommend this time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Expanding over 1000 hectares in Mahoma hills, Finca Piedra reveals the authentic Uruguayan country life with the sophisticated European style. It is located only 125 km from Montevideo (with direct access by bus) and 110 km from Colonia. Its convenient location allows access from Buenos Aires in just two and a half hours. Finca Piedra offers comfortable rooms with en suite bathrooms, decorated in traditional style and set according to the building where they are located. Wi-fi access is available free of charge in all of the common areas of the estancia. Our Franco-Uruguayan kitchen team prepares delicious meals boasting the best flavors from both cultures. Our homemade wines harmoniously complete your meal. We also cater separate menus for diabetics, vegetarians, gluten-free or other special diets (with advance notice). At Finca Piedra we offer a wide variety of free and guided activities so everybody can enjoy each moment at their own pace. Whether on horseback, carriage, walking or biking, you will marvel at the surrounding natural landscapes: the Mahoma hills natural reserve, our 20 hectares of vineyards, La Coronilla stream and the "lakes". You'll be able to observe the rich bird life and flora during these outings. We also offer special activities for children such as participating in the milking of the cow, tours of our animal farm, a games room with amenities such as a ping-pong table, foosball, a pool table and a trampoline, a bocce ball court, a volleyball court, a football field, a racquetball court and of course our outside pool with vineyard views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Estancia Finca Piedra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estancia Finca Piedra Hotel Colonia Del Sacramento
- Estancia Finca Piedra Uruguay/Colonia Del Sacramento