“Food is poor by Uruguayan standards - service beyond terrible by Uruguayan standards”

Pulperia de los Faroles
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed January 23, 2012

My Uruguayan Fiancee and I went to this place for lunch based off of Tripadvisor and because they accept credit (AMEX, Mastercard, Visa). The place looks decent and has a location on the main old town square.

Let me preface by saying, I am very used to Uruguayan service standards, and to the food itself. This is not a review from an American not used to the food or service of the country. Now, to move on to the details:

My fiancee ordered a seafood platter, asking them to put mussels, shrimp, and rabas (calamari) together. She specifically made sure to specify not to put a certain type of sauce that is common in Uruguay on the shrimp, and to *very* lightly fry the calamari since her stomach was upset. I also ordered a caprese. The seafood platter came out about 25 minutes later, which was fine, but they had not listened to a word that was said. We told them to bring it back and fix it.

After another 10 minutes, the seafood platter made another appearance - same exact thing; the rabas fried as much as Americans are used to onion rings being fried, and the shrimp in the same exact sauce. They listened to nothing that was said. The caprese was the worst I had ever seen in all of my travels around the world, which has included its host of restaurants in not so great areas. The mozzarella was the same as would be found in a string cheese - better to be called a swiss cheese or something of the sort. Entirely inedible for anyone with a modicum of culinary standards.

We decided to cut our losses and try to eat some of the seafood platter. It was abysmal, from the fishy and ultra breaded rabas, to the rank mussels, to the disgusting shrimp in what tasted like a rotten sauce. $30 for this monstrosity. We were kind enough to pay and not just get up at that point. My fiancee got sick off the food and had to stop.

Only, gracefully accepting that we wanted to go did not suit the restaurant - we were entirely polite, only asking the caprese to be taken off the check and to please bring the bill. They took over 30 minutes since requesting the check (la cuenta), at which point my fiancee went in and asked. The manager rudely rebuked her, telling her that they would bring it when it became a priority (in a restaurant only at around 20% occupancy).

Abysmal service, food is terrible, drinks are ok (mixing cola and rum isn't too hard I'd imagine).

1  Thank Alec B
There are newer reviews for Pulperia de los Faroles

Reviewed January 23, 2012

You can have dinner at outside tables and appreciate the sunset at Rio de la Plata. The food is excellent. Try a sirloin or sea food (shrimps are very good), all we ate was perfect. Try also the Fiorentine hearts of palm with spinach as first dish.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

We've been here for lunch as all the other restaurants were closed in the afternoon. But we should have walked away immidiately as it took the service fifteen minutes just to take our order. The food (gnocchi with pesto/tomato) wasn't tasty at all. The menu said the gnocchi would be homemade. These were from the supermarket. Just like the tomato sauce. It wasn't tasty at all. I could only eat the half of my plate also I was very hungry.
After lunch I went to the rest rooms. I had to wait because there was somebody in front of me. I was standing right next to the kitchen. So I saw that one of the service personel dropped a filled bread basket, which you get with the food. She was standing with the back to me and started to collect the bread in the basket again. But then the boss realized I was watching and threw that bread in the garbage.
I cannot recommend this place to anyone.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

The food and service both are terrible here. The food tasted like it was bought from a large company, like Sedexo, that services schools and prisons. The wait staff is slow and and clearly doesn't care.

Reviewed December 2, 2011

Walking around after dark - heard the jazz - bouncing down the cobble stones - followed
the music - hours later after many beers & small plates of good food, SWEET !