“Gourmet lunch in Colonia Del Sacramento with a touch of art”

La Casa de Jorge Paez Vilaro - Gallery & Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Sydney
“Gourmet lunch in Colonia Del Sacramento with a touch of art”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

After an ordinary experience at the large restaurant on the main Plaza - too busy, not enough staff and food wasn't bad but just ordinary - we picked up that place for its caractere and its location.
The waitress was great and most importantly the food was delicious. Great care was taken for presentation and it tasted good - see photos -.
We had a very pleasant lunch in a tastefully decorated room. We adored Colonia anyway and that was a very nice addition yo it but on a different note i-e artistic. Lots of other restaurants carry that old colonial style with them - so to speak - which is nice but not very original after a while.

2 Thank lucsky

Sydney, Australia
“We wasted our only night in Colonia here”
Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

The redeeming feature of this little restaurant is its quaint little dining room, brick walls, nice paintings, only 5 tables. That's what made us choose it - big mistake!

We booked a table during the day, and the owner asked us for a 100 peso deposit, which was fine with us. We only had the night in Colonia and this looked like a great place to eat.

When we arrived there were a few full tables, and one waitress serving. She showed us to our table with a kind of annoyance bordering on contempt. Granted, my Spanish isn't great, but we are smiley and polite and can get our message across.

The bread and dips to start us off were very nice, and we started on a half decent bottle of Uruguayan Tannat. So far so good. We shared a starter of a chicken salad, which was fairly nice, if a little pricey for what was mainly lettuce.

Then the mains came. My partner was asked how he would like his lamb cooked, and while he asked for medium, to say it came out rare would be generous. Most of it was raw. We'd already waited 45 mins for the food and decided that they couldn't do much with it now, so he just ate what he could, the garnish, and shared mine. My chcken was nice but not great.

As we were therefore still a little unsatisfied from a shared main, we decided to have coffee and share a dessert. The brownie that came out was absolutely inedible. We likened it to a deep fried sponge that had then been left out to go cold and dry - disgusting!!! Ate the ice cream and left the brownie almost untouched.

Not wanting to make a fuss with our limited Spanish we decided to call it a night. Had to go up to the bar to get the waitresses attention as she was past caring at this point.

Got the bill, which of course didn't have the deposit deducted, so had to try to explain that, eventually it was accepted and deducted from the bill.

Walking from the restaurant we passed 3 or so restaurants that were full of people having a great time, seeming to have a fun atmosphere. Was quite galling to think we had not chosen one of them for our night in Colombia.

Not recommended at all.

1 Thank Chris W
Pasadena, California
“No rubber here!”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Don't know what the complaints were about the swordfish. I ordered it and then read the reviews while we sampled the wine, so was prepared when my dish came to be disappointed. Mine was wonderful, so go figure. All four of us had a great meal and the ambiance was quite special. Only downside was that they do not take credit cards.

Visited April 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice food outside in the sun for lunch”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We had a wonderful lunch at this place, served by a very friendly waitress.
They have a much more interesting looking menu than other places in Colonia and are less 'touristy'.
We enjoyed two different versions of lovely homemade Tortelloni, the wine was good and the dessert okay.
Would come back, as it looked also like a very nice place for a romantic dinner inside...

Paris & Buenos Aires
“Overpriced and Overblown Self Conscious Never Going Back”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I live not far from Colonia in European winter. So I sometimes go there. I wanted to try this restaurant. So I did. There was not a soul in the restaurant when I showed up at 9pm. The 2 waitresses were sitting at a table outside on the terrace, smoking and nattering. I approached. They kept on chatting. I then asked in Spanish if I might eat i "Oh yes of course." One woman got up and directed me to a table. I sat. She asked what I wanted to drink. I asked for a "copa de vino blanco". Preferably Sauvignon Blanc. They don't have that. They only have bottles of Sauvignon or those kind of airplane-sized bottles. I took the airplane-size. She told me it was warm. I suggested she chill it. She went away and came back ten mins later with my tiny btle in a huge ice bucket. I asked her for some ice. She reminded me that the wine was going to be cold. I asked for ice anyway. She eventually brought it and took my order. I wanted salad. Just plain with perhaps some tomatoes. It is not on the menu. But she went and asked. Then she did agree and in awhile she finally came back with a plate full of bright green lettuce and some halved cherry tomatoes which looked lovely, I asked for olive oil. She brought olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I asked for lemon. She did bring that. I seasoned my salad and ate it. It was good. Then came my swordfish supposedly cooked with honey. Was it rubber swordfish? I wasn't sure. Really.No honey either. It was grilled and bouncy and accompanied by a tower of dry whipped potatoes and something advertised on the menu as red cabbage with some kind of special sauce. It was red cabbage shredded but too roughly shredded to stay on a fork. I dragged some out of the small bowl it came in and tasted it. The cabbage was chewy and the sauce was repulsive. I put it aside, ate few bites of the rubber fish and, after pouring olive oil on the coldish potatoes, I mixed them up and ate some. Then I sat there reading. The 3 waitresses were back outside yammering. After ten full minutes, my Kindle was boiling over. I got up and went out there to ask if she could take my plate away. Oh yes. She could. She did. Then did I want dessert? I read the menu and feared ice cream and red cabbage or perhaps chopped fish on brownies.so I asked for plain vanilla ice cream. The waitress sighed her displeasure, but let me have some of that.. I ate it. She went back outside, Some other people arrived. I waited. Another couple came in. I waited. Finally I hailed the waitress who had brought in couple #2. I asked for the bill. It came. It was 300 Argentine pesos. That's $68.92. I paid it and vowed to write this review to warn people off the place. Do not go there.. The food's awful. The service is worse. The prices are usurious.

1 Thank suzanwhite