“There must be better options” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Torreon

El Torreon
Cuisines: Seafood, South American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Drinks, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Singapore, Singapore
“There must be better options”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We had lunch at El Torreon today - and I only perused the reviews on here after eating there. My message is the same as the other reviews - nice setting, OK food, but appalling service.

We ordered paella for two and a salad and was told it would be a 30 to 40 minute wait - that sounded fine as it reassured us that its be freshly cooked. As time marched on, we asked our waiter several times what was happening and we were assured it was about to come.

I tried to talk to the head waiter but he brushed me off. I went for a walk and couldn't find our waiter, so i spoke to a waitress and she was surprised our food had not arrived 70 minutes after ordering it.

As we were getting ready to walk out, the paella (but not the salad) arrived. I'm fairness, it was nice, but the extended wait and lack of concern from our waiter did not leave a positive impression. The Argentinians at the next table agrees that the service was appalling and they were not happy either.

There must be better options in Colonia - it's a pity when you only are there for a day and have a negative experience like this - at prices far inflated on BA As prices.

I would only go there if time was not an issue and you didn't mind having to walk about to find the waiter - and don't mind not all your order being presented!

• 1 of 5 bubbles

Rome, Italy
“Nice view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

One of the many tourist places in Sacramento. This one has a nice view and slow - normal around here - service, but friendly. Very good marisco paella or cazuela, fresh fish, good soups. The menu is not vast but garrantees fresh ingredients. Normal wine and beer selection. Nice out door tables. Worth going.

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

The location is superb right on the river,the best spot to enjoy a Colonia sunset.This means it's very busy around that time. However, we managed to grab an outside table and enjoyed the sunset drinking some ice cold beers. It got a little quieter after the sun had set, and we decided to stay for dinner. While service was not fantastic, our waitress was quite charming and pretty efficient, but 'unhurried' would be the correct way to describe the speed of service. My partner was not hungry and just had an order of French fries which were ok. My bife de chorizo was an excellent piece of meat, but unfortunately a little too charred, which means a bit hard in places. The mixed salad was just ok, a little tired. Prices are quite steep, as in most of Colonia.
I would go back for drinks at sunset time, but would eat elsewhere.

• Visited November 2012
Tarpon Springs, Florida
“Slow service, good food, great view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We were just on a day trip and wanted a lunch with a view. The service, at least finally getting a server, was pretty slow but the Chivita was great once it arrived. The building is very old and the outdoor dining area had a rather annoying slant to it for seating. Still, if you want to wander the old town and then find a place with a view then this works just fine.

• Visited December 2012
Brighton
“Superb views across the River, really poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I had stopped here for drinks a couple of times during the day as this place has a wonderful location next to the river and a popular lookout point, with all outdoor seating.

I came back for a dinner with sunset views. I was given the menu and spent the next 20 minutes watching staff wander back and forth or stand around as I waited.... and then left.

So I can't review the food folks.

This was a quiet Wednesday evening but a lovely evening: the staff were young and seemed inexperienced, but even so.... My experience in Colonia is that the town is so busy at weekends and peak holiday months that they just don't need to worry about the customers. So at quieter times, I think they take it a little easy.... and because they're not used to having to think about great service they just switch off completely.

But what a beautiful town!

• Visited November 2012