1,073 results
All reviewsoutdoor showerbi level suitebuenos airesthe riverhorseback ridingeucalyptus forestbeautiful propertyoff seasonsouth americalate checkoutbeautiful poolrio de la platafire pitwine tastingbungalowwinerypine
Reviewed May 8, 2008

What a place!! My husband and I stayed for 5 days after sightseeing in buenos Aires. It was such a tranquil, relaxing atmosphere in a forest/camp-like setting but with all the luxuries of a beautiful hotel. Athough not a traditional room set-up, the bi-level suite was like a mini cottage with an oversized bathroom and open-concept layout.

The tennis courts were mediocre, the horseback ride through the property was outstanding, and the polo lesson was fun but not much of a "lesson".

The Four Seasons staff were outstanding throughout our entire stay. they would send the restaurant menu to us everyday as i am a picky eater and often requested special things and made changes to their entrees. they were more than willing to accomodate.

the spa was great...wonderful treatments, a stunning indoor pool and more than adequate fitness facility.

To truly enjoy this resort, you have to put the traditional idea of Four Seasons out of your mind. this place has lots to offer and will be a very unique experience. I highly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2008

absolut amazing hotel .it is a neo thai deco,mixed with mountains and forest accents.
service is very poor, same is the food, also very expensive.
if you take the boat from buenos aires you must expect for a 2 hours drive from colonia to carmelo.
when you arrive you stay at the southernmost point of uruguay near to argentina on the river banks,of course there no beach,to swim ,
the rooms are very well apointed filli di oro sheets,loccitane baths products,marble and exotics wood everywhere,a expresso machine and mini fridge.. amazing, but in a four sesons you dont expect to found a tv 20 inchesfrom 10 years ago ,it is time to come the lcd, also for the courtains must be a black out,sistem.
the stay is for no more than 3 days,spa wonderful ,expensive also
indoor pool with jacuzzi,outdoor pool no heated.
two restaurants inside,outside you can try narbona winery awsome,also expesive.
when i said expensive i said it because ,you can eay in buenos aires by the 3erd part that you paid in carmelo ,also in the four seasons bs as,that we go there twice a month because i live in bsas.
enjoy it.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank firstclassflyer007
Reviewed April 15, 2008

This is, in my opinion, one of the finest hotels in the Americas - a calm, stunning oasis on the banks of the Rio de la Plata about 3 hrs from Montevideo. My bungalow was huge and luxurious, situated in a dense forest a short stroll from the riverbank. This is an excellent place to simply relax - I spent an entire day on the riverbank reading a book in the glassed-in gazebo. If you want, you can easily achieve a feeling of total seclusion, but there are also many things to do - hikes along the river, wine tours, boating, a local casino, visiting historic Colonia 45 minutes by car), etc. The staff will go out of there way to help make the necessary arrangements. There is also the hotel spa - which has a great gym and a heated indoor pool. You could easily spend a whole day hanging out at the spa.

Service is typical of FS - i.e. excellent. I had a minor hot water problem - and received an apology note and a bottle of wine from the manager. Other top hotels should send their managers here - they would learn a thing or two about customer service.

Two cautions: (1) if you are planning to do any business while staying here, you may have difficulties as the rooms do not have internet access (only wireless in the lobby and library) and my cell phone did not get reception; (2) dining options are limited -- the local town of Carmelo may have a few alternatives to the hotel's restaurants, but fine dining options are definitely in short supply.

Overall, I would suggest that this hotel would be an ideal place for a 3-4 day retreat during a trip to Argentina and/or Uruguay.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2008

This place was amazing. My husband and I were here for two nights with our two teenage children. Our room was beautiful, the service was impeccable, the food was excellent, but I could see if you stayed longer, that the limited choice of restaurants might start to bother you. I had read complaints about too many children here. Actually, my teens were disappointed that they were the only two minors on the property. We had the pool almost to ourselves. Both indoor and outdoor pools are large and beautiful. The excercise room was very complete with free classes offered in yoga, pilates, etc. throughout the day. We chose to go horseback riding and take the canoe trip. Of course there is an extra cost, but the price of the room is such a good deal for a Four Seasons that you feel you can afford a few extras. This area of Uruguay is charming. We found both the town of Carmelo to be interesting and nice and the Unesco site of Colonia to be beautiful. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2008

We are Four Seasons regulars ( all over the world and 30+ days/year). I have to say that this is one of their prettiest properties in terms of decor and the bathrooms were extremely luxurious is a very earthy way - very high wood-beamed ceilings, outdoor showers in a private jasmine garden. The spa was beautiful as well. We had two kids with us 11 and 15 who adored this property. We took advantage of activities on site such as horseback riding, canoeing, and power walks with the gym. The property had few rooms but is very expansive (44 rms) and the service is highly personalized, even more so than at other properites. We arrived after an 8 night stay in Buenos Aires which we enjoyed but we found the concierge staff at Carmel much more attentive and knowledgable. It is a 15 minute flight from the domestic airport in BA and the pilot and even customs in Uruguay treat you like royalty and make the trip seamless. The pool is lovely, but I would definitely not consider the river bank a beach. The property is really in a pine/ eucalyptus forest and the smell of the trees and air quality is amazing. We felt that a five day stay would be perfect if you really want to deeply relax. That is the primary activity here...relaxation. I agree with prior review that the food selection is rather limited. That would be my only caveat. It is very far for us but if I were ever in this region of the world again it would be a priority for me to return.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family