“Tranquil Resort on the River Coast”

Carmelo Resort & Spa, the Unbound Collection by Hyatt
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Carmelo
Reviewed March 22, 2013

If you happen to be in Buenos Aires, Argentina or in Colonia Uruguay, or in Montevideo, Uruguay and are planning to spend some time in Carmelo (Colonia is a short ferry ride away from Montevideo), and are totally stressed out of the city and life in general and wish to get into a room that will make you go "wow" and have a very tranquil, peaceful and restful stay at an hotel almost made entirely of stone and wood, enclaved in the middle of 44 acres of mostly woods, then check the Four Seasons out. It is lovely and not old or tired as mentioned in some reviews, because it has been refurbished and continues to be (for example all the wood of the board walks around the property and to the beach is being changed). You will find things to do here, but not the usual thing of checking the city out and going shopping or taking the usual tours. This is a place were you have mountain bikes to choose from for no extra charge as you grab a bottle of water 24 hrs a day from the many locations around the resort at no extra charge either, (including your room) and go riding on the very flat or gently hilly terrain of Uruguay for as long as you want. You can help yourself with coffees and teas in well stocked stations all day (including some tasty biscotti!) or take a wet face towel and some bug spray (also complimentary) and go for a walk. You can cross the street from the resort (literally!) and go to this very tranquil Golf Course, in the middle of the country side, were your team might be the only one playing that day. You might want to go a few meters ahead and go horse back riding (for a fee) at Tierra de Caballos (Land of Horses)...or take the hotel's transportation over to Puerto Camacho, a private yacht port with a pizzeria, a shop and something else, that offers lovely seating by the quiet river bay. Private that is, only for Hotel guests and the owners or mansions and homes in the neighboring El Faro gated community. All this in the pure countryside, just animals, trees, some farms and you. The hotel is lovely, stunning Bali type of decor, huge pool and huge spaces for all. Only 44 "rooms or should I say suites and bungalows, and 44 acres of space. All the rooms are of the same type, two floor very comfortable suites, with all the amenities and comfort you might want. Including a plug adapter in case you don't have one for the type of current in Uruguay. Food is delicious, and the hotel at night changes radically to offer a romantic and quiet setting at candle or fire torch lights. And the Spa deserves another chapter, specially the complimentary tea bar with nuts and fruits and this lovely ginger tea. The bungalows are very special too, one huge room and a big bathroom, including an outdoor shower in a nice little garden connected to the bungalow. Private views to the woods, the river shores, or just to no where... Bring a book, sip some tea, sun bathe, golf, ride horses, take river kayaking or boat rides, visit neighboring Wine Estate Narbona for a lovely meal and the chance to buy locally made wines, cheeses, marmalades, pasta and cracker type of cookies. Yummy! The attention to decoration detail is lovely in all properties. I personally think this is a lovely place for couples, families with young children (there is a lovely kids house with coordinators that program all sorts of activities for the entire day), as the double floor rooms can accommodate 2 kids on beds made out of the long sofa. Definitely a romantic get away for anyone as well as a great place for corporate seminars, meetings, work groups, that wish to get away from distracting noises and enjoy a great place as well.

Room Tip: All rooms are exactly the same, two floor suites, and all bungalows are the same, the only thing tha...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Latitude33

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Four Seasons Carmelo is breathtaking. It had a very different feel than the other Four Seasons brand hotels that we have been to, but still the same level of luxury. The resort was situated in a woods-y forest-y part of Uruguay and right by the river. It is a Balinese style resort with an Uruguayan landscape backdrop and just amazing. Our bungalow had views of the forest and even an outdoor shower.

Our time in Uruguay was spent golfing, hanging out by the pool, visiting vineyards, biking the countryside and just relaxing. When the sun was not as strong we rented some bikes from the resort and rode to a local winery to take pictures. The countryside was quite picturesque and it was an unforgettable experience biking and exploring Uruguay that way.

I definitely recommend this resort if you want something a bit off the beaten path. The service is not to the level of other Four Seasons that I have visited, but if they can improve on that it will definitely be a five star option.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed for four nights after B.A. and it offered a nice change of scenery. The resort itself is about 11 years old and in need of some updating. Our shower for example had numerous lose tiles and the curtains are a bit frayed on the edges. A previous review also mentioned the wooden walkways which need repair. On the plus side the resort has a very nice pool area and a nice spa. I would have to say the highlight is in the people that w Orkney there. Claudia, Horatio, Carla, and many others try awfully hard to please and they do a very nice job. Restaurant food quality is also quite good and when you ask for medium rare that is what you get (in contrast to some restaurants we visited). All in all a very reasonably priced resort in a somewhat remote area.

I should mention the in room wi fi signal is weak and could be improved. We would come back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed with the four seasons in Carmello for New Years Eve. We had 3 bungalows for 4 nights at a rate of $915.00 per room per night. We take a trip every year around this time and always try to stay at the best property in the area. Arriving New Years Eve started what continued to be a very disappointing stay. New Years Eve was awful the events that we were emailed about didn't even happen, the hotel used the excused of weather for the first of many times for canceling the festivities. Then when we sat down to dinner we had two vegetarians and yet there was no option but the meat food choices. When we asked if they had anything else for vegetarians they simply responded that this was the only option. Then they proceeded to charge us for all 6 people, and no entertainment was provided not fireworks, hats, or a countdown. This was by far the worst hotel New Years we have had ever and at the four seasons none the less. As for as the rest of the stay was concerned we heard from multiple employees that they were understaffed because of the holiday and apologized for the delay. I appreciate the apology but how can you charge a rate of almost a thousand dollars a night but yet be understaffed. Every time we asked the concierge about dinner they constantly screwed it up. We wanted to do the sun set boat cruise one night when the concierge informed us that the weather made it impossible, which it was nothing but sunny and no wind, later another concierge informed us that the boat was actually broken. As the nights proceeded it got worse and worse, we asked to do the Narabona wine tasting the concierge said no problem when we called to confirm the reservation and they informed us that another group actually booked it and we lost our reservation. Then she recommended we try rio bar (the restaurant by the pool) then she informed us that the restaurant was closed due to weather, how is a restaurant indoors closed for weather? Later a waiter informed us that there were not enough employees to actually open the restaurant. The best part of our trip to Carmelo was outside the hotel. I don't understand how a five star hotel charging the money we were charged while also spending the money we spent can have all of these issues, which is a small sample of what happened over four days.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jordan Z
FSCarmeloManager, General Manager at Carmelo Resort & Spa, the Unbound Collection by Hyatt, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Jordan Z,
I do apologize that your New Years’ experience fell so short of your expectations. It was a shame that you could not enjoy the entertainment and cuisine provided, and we do take your comments to heart and will improve based upon them. We would be happy to have you back to regain your confidence in our Resort and provide you with a Four Seasons experience that many others have enjoyed. I remain at your disposition, and again, I truly thank you for your comments.
Mark
Mark Bingle
Resort Manager

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed in Carmelo having arrived from London to meet my best friend who had flown from New York. We took the car-ferry-car option to get to the Four Seasons and it was an easy trip even after long flights. The property is lovely and our cabin in the woods was so tastefully decorated. we only had two nights and one day which was enough time to relax, enjoy the spa and delicious meals - another night would have been ideal.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed four nights in the Resort in order to celebrate my birthday. Excellent accomodations, superb attention from staff, fine foood. I also took the opportunity to visit two wyneries very close by. Narbona Winery has inclusive a restaurant where i had three luncheons in a row.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was debating heading over the Carmelo, as I really came to see all that is Buenos Aires, but I was really happy I did.
After a 24 hour flight from Chicago, I took a taxi to a ferry, to a car to the Resort.
There are most likely easier ways to get there, but the Bucquebus ferry was a good option, and the hotel had a van transfer that was very affordable, and comfortable, that picked me up in Colonia for the hour drive to the resort.
I actually gave me a chance to see the countryside along the way.
Arrival at the Resort was like I was the only one there. They were so nice.
I received an awesome two story suite, with a ton of wood and stone, a terrace, a great window seat overlooking the river and pool.
Internet was reliable, and my favorite things were the stone shower and illy cafe espresso machine.

Service was great, especially the dinner in Pura. My steak was perfect and the Uruguayan wine was excellent. Everyone spoke at least some english, if not fluent, and if they didn't, they really tried. Shame on me for not trying more Spanish. My year in college failed me.

Ok, I know this is all positive, but I can't think of one bad things to say, it's the Four Seasons.

There is a really nice winery with a great restaurant that a lot of guests go to, as it's fairly close.
I went, and had a great time.

If you go, take some bike rides. One of the managers suggested a route behind the resort that was a really great trek by the River. There is also a secret pizza restaurant by the boat dock, that closed when I went by, but I saw the wood for the oven, and the place looked very pleasant.

One note, most people don't go in the river water, but there is a sand beach.
The main pool is very nice, but I actually loved the indoor pool in the spa area.
The sauna was great was well. Note: There is water in the relaxation lounge in the locker room, but they should put some by the sauna. Would be nice touch.

I guess a lot of their guests come from Buenos Aires for the weekend, but I would highly recommend doing both the city and country. Go during the week, and you can have some great wine, ride a horse, play some tennis, and just chill out before or after the big city, with some privacy. I will be back!

Room Tip: I had I bi level suite which was close to everything, including the pool and spa. There are stairs...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo