1,073 results
All reviewsoutdoor showerbi level suitebuenos airesthe riverhorseback ridingeucalyptus forestbeautiful propertyoff seasonsouth americalate checkoutbeautiful poolrio de la platafire pitwine tastingbungalowwinerypine
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was debating heading over the Carmelo, as I really came to see all that is Buenos Aires, but I was really happy I did.
After a 24 hour flight from Chicago, I took a taxi to a ferry, to a car to the Resort.
There are most likely easier ways to get there, but the Bucquebus ferry was a good option, and the hotel had a van transfer that was very affordable, and comfortable, that picked me up in Colonia for the hour drive to the resort.
I actually gave me a chance to see the countryside along the way.
Arrival at the Resort was like I was the only one there. They were so nice.
I received an awesome two story suite, with a ton of wood and stone, a terrace, a great window seat overlooking the river and pool.
Internet was reliable, and my favorite things were the stone shower and illy cafe espresso machine.

Service was great, especially the dinner in Pura. My steak was perfect and the Uruguayan wine was excellent. Everyone spoke at least some english, if not fluent, and if they didn't, they really tried. Shame on me for not trying more Spanish. My year in college failed me.

Ok, I know this is all positive, but I can't think of one bad things to say, it's the Four Seasons.

There is a really nice winery with a great restaurant that a lot of guests go to, as it's fairly close.
I went, and had a great time.

If you go, take some bike rides. One of the managers suggested a route behind the resort that was a really great trek by the River. There is also a secret pizza restaurant by the boat dock, that closed when I went by, but I saw the wood for the oven, and the place looked very pleasant.

One note, most people don't go in the river water, but there is a sand beach.
The main pool is very nice, but I actually loved the indoor pool in the spa area.
The sauna was great was well. Note: There is water in the relaxation lounge in the locker room, but they should put some by the sauna. Would be nice touch.

I guess a lot of their guests come from Buenos Aires for the weekend, but I would highly recommend doing both the city and country. Go during the week, and you can have some great wine, ride a horse, play some tennis, and just chill out before or after the big city, with some privacy. I will be back!

Room Tip: I had I bi level suite which was close to everything, including the pool and spa. There are stairs, but there is a half bath on the ground level. The bungalows look amazing and they are scattered all of the grounds, like a lodge.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Four Seasons in Carmelo and wished that I had a few more days to spend there. The setting is a wooded area near a river. Although there were many others staying at the resort, there was a peacefulness that surrounded the place.

The FS provides bug spray by the pool and near the front door. I didn't realize how many mosquito bites I was getting around the ankles....I wish I had taken their subtle hint and used some.

The staff were very accommodating in arranging activities. They made it easy, provided transportation, and followed-up to ensure that we were pleased with the service.

Room Tip: The bi-level suites have ample room for two people and a gorgeous bathroom. I never seemed to have time to use the humongous bathtub.....another reason to go back.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We (my wife and 6-year old son) traveled to the Four Seasons Carmelo over the Christmas holidays. We had a wonderful stay, and it was everything I expect from a Four Season's resort (most recently stayed at the Four Seasons Chiang Mai). The rooms were spacious and lovely. Loved the outdoor shower and how the landscaping was well-matched to the surroundings. Service by the pool was outstanding and we loved the selections of local wines. A highlight was the managers cocktail party, and we really enjoyed the other guests. My son adored the kids club and was very sad to say goodbye to everyone.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone interested in travelling to South America and Buenos Aires in particular (just a ferry ride away).

P.S. The previous comment that the walkways are dangerous seems very over the top to me. Even our 6 year old had no trouble getting around.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nick M
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is a Average resort hotel, but an below average Four Seasons hotel. As a person that enjoys staying at up-scale hotels, this Four Seasons does NOT match the quality or standard of other Four Seasons. If you have stayed at other Four Seasons (such as Paris, NY, or even Buenos Aires), you will be disappointed. The rooms are okay, but not amazing. When we checked in, the cleanliness and the age of the room was an issue. We complained to the GM (Mark) and he did have the team re-clean the room and invited us a free dinner on the property. He really tried to make up for the original issue. I appreciated his efforts. This said, anyone staying here needs to understand, this is not a normal Four Seasons - you will not experience the ultimate luxury hotel at this location. For example, the grounds are very sparse and the walkways are quite dangerous. The wooden walkways throughout the property are, as an American would say, "a lawsuit waiting to happen" - very dangerous. Rooms are nice, but not luxurious and need to be modernized. Food, service, and people are good.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
FSCarmeloManager, General Manager at Carmelo Resort & Spa, the Unbound Collection by Hyatt, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear MartinH NY,
Thank you for your review! It's your comments that make us better! We have some work scheduled for May, and I hope we can make it back to your expectation. It was a pleasure to invite you to dinner, and my apologies again for falling short. I hope you'll give us another try after the renovation. I'm glad you liked the food, service and people! I will let them know!
Best Regards,
Mark

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My recent stay at the Four Seasons - Carmelo was okay, but nowhere near what I would expect of a Four Seasons, which contributed to my low rating. There are several good parts and several bad parts, and I struggled with whether to rate it an average or poor, but in the end my overall disappointment led me to the latter.

The resort is very secluded, which is a great feature. The staff me us at the entrance with a cool beverage and whisked us off to our bungalow. The staff was helpful in showing us the room explaining a bit of the resort at this time, and the manager reviewed amenities.

The room was fine. Cleanliness was impeccable and the bed was made to perfection. Everything was in order and straightened properly. The room, however, was not what I'd consider Four Seasons’ caliber. Some of the blackout shades were broken, the bathroom tub was cracked around the drain, and the shower was missing several tiles. The fixtures were adequate, but not what you'd expect from a Four Seasons property. The backyard included an outdoor shower - which I didn't try, but the rest of the back yard space was somewhat of an eyesore. The plants were wilted or dying, and the non-functional irrigation lines were sticking out of the ground in several locations.

The front outdoor space was in a better state, but a bit "natural" for my taste. Perhaps that is what the resort was going for.

The grounds were a mishmash of perfectly groomed with haphazardly neglected. Realizing that this property is in the middle of what seems to be a pine forrest, there's a lot of loose ground cover which the grounds staff has done a good job of keeping reasonably in order. However, there is definitely a problem with the irrigation (probably why ours didn't seem to be working) and often parts of the grass would be a lush green surrounded by a desert of scorched earth. The pool was great, always neat and clean. The wooden walkways around the property are what I can only describe as dilapidated. Though a few seconds seem to be in good order, the vast majority is bowed and quite dangerous to walk on. I had to make sure to always look down while use them for fear of tripping and landing head first into the sand.

The resort has three restaurants. Which would be great, if they were actually open. As it turns out, even during high season when we were there, at most two are open at any one time. In fact, if you go during the week (Sunday-Thursday), the only one restaurant (Pura) is open. We found ourselves disappointed in having to dine at the same place each night. Pura's food is very good, but it's limited in what it can offer, and certainly could not keep my interested for four consecutive nights. We had been looking forward to the "fresh fish" restaurant option, but that one was only open Friday and Saturday nights.

Similarly limited are the bar options. Though the website seems to suggest at least three or four different places, there really is only one. You are free to sit in any of the locations, but you’ll need to make sure to tell the front desk so that someone comes and takes an order from you. In the bar the wines by the glass selection were extremely limited – two reds and two whites. That’s it. No still rosé and no rotation. Again, it got a bit tiring after a few days for someone like me who enjoys sitting at the bar and chatting while sipping on a glass of wine.

My reviews of the staff are very positive. Without exception they were all willing to do whatever to make our stay enjoyable. The pool staff always came over first thing to set up our chairs (however they didn’t every check back to see if we wanted a drink or something later). The bartender was very helpful, passing our comments to the dining staff and giving us suggestions about what to do.

The resort is quite relaxing, and though there are children around, the pool and surrounding spaces are ample enough that they don’t really intrude. At least one day we where there the resort was at capacity and it didn’t feel full at all. Though late morning can often be busy, the best time at the pool is often lunchtime when all the little ones disappear and you can often have the place to yourself.

All in all, the resort is decent if you go in with the right expectations. It might also be a good idea to secure transportation so that you can venture off the property at least for dinner (the resort does offer free transportation to a local winery/restaurant which is quite good).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jpmnyc

Dear jpmnyc,

Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough response to your stay. I am glad to hear you had a good time despite the shortcomings of your experience. We are replacing the walkways in May (it is indeed time) and making some other improvements. I hope you will be back to give us another chance someday. We will work on improving those items that you mentioned. Thank you again for your time and letting us know. Please call me personally if you can make it back in 2014.
Best Regards,